The greatest accessory... EVER! by smash
[Today at 09:58:01 pm]

Avon Spirit ST...how good? by Ade52
[Today at 09:46:56 pm]

Seat Height - Am I crazy ? by sin_tiger
[Today at 09:39:40 pm]

Our Ben’s favourite place in the house… by jaapvanthoff
[Today at 08:12:53 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Results are in...New Trophy vs New Concours!  (Read 12041 times)

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
Results are in...New Trophy vs New Concours!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:51:33 pm »
Hey everyone, as most or a lot of you know I went in today to test ride both the new Trophy and the new Concours back-to-back so I could hopefully put this  constant debate in my head to rest!

I am currently a proud owner and rider of a 2012 Concours. I have put a lot of time and money into that bike and love riding it...love it! i love it until I have to ride it 300+ miles in a day and then it starts getting to me and that's why I began this 'debate' in my head about "which bike will be my next bike?"!

I was confident for a long time (months, if you consider that long) that I was going to buy a new Concours after November, depending on the mode...2016 or 2017. Then, I began thinking about longevity, long distance riding and all the options the Trophy has and began wondering if that was an option for the new bike I'll be buyying. So, I set up a test ride today and took my time riding both and here's what I think about the 2 bikes;

Concours is nothing but power, lots and lots of power anytime, any place, no matter what you're doing...the Concours has so much of it! I already know this because I ride one and I had my ECU flashed so it's even, more responsive! The thing is, a Concours is a Concours and that's what I got out of the ride today. Sure the seat is a little better and the windscreen is kind of cool but it's still a Concours and other than the motor and lots of speed there's not much more you can say about it. But the power, so good and so much of it! But again, it's still...a Concours...and it makes you feel as if you're sitting up on top of the bike. Not as bad on the new model but that feeling is still there. The motor is smooth as was expected.

The Trophy is everything the Concours isn't! First off, let me start by saying that if you are power hungry than the Concours is your bike and there's no arguing that! I got on the Trophy and began my ride. First thing I notice was how SMOOTH the stinkin' throttle and shifting were...holy cow...AMAZING! I mean butter! and the motor is smooth as well...the bike is crazy smooth! Love the smoothness of the shifts and the rolling power. Definitely different than the 'jump out from under you' power the C14 has...a good different but 'different'! Another thing I noticed was the completely different riding position! It was very relaxed and upright...I like it but it felt odd at the same time (after the ride I got back on mine it felt like I was on a cafe bike...totally, 100% different)!

Jumped out on the freeway and it was a parking lot...bumper to bumper traffic, Friday traffic! So, I took that opportunity to split lanes on the Trophy to see what it felt like. I can split lanes easily on my Concours now that I'm very comfortable with maneuvering my bike around and am used to the width of my bike. The Trophy...super easy to split with, no issues there and it was like I had been doing it on a Trophy for the last 2 years! Goosed the throttle a couple of times to get in and out of spots and it is surprisingly responsive but doesn't have the 'umph' the Concours has but it's okay.

Got off the freeway after 10 miles of riding through traffic and headed for the back roads, farm land and twisty mountain/canyon roads. This is where things really began to separate from bike-to-bike. Yes, the Concours has the power and is a beast through the canyons and hills but takes more effort to ride the twisties. The Trophy was ridiculously effortless! I almost fell asleep through the curves because it was so easy! The Trophy handles so light and so easy...it was a pleasure riding it through the canyon twisties and these are roads I've ridden an number of times on my bike as well. I tried 'corner braking' and the Trophy wins there too! Applied brakes in turns and the bike stayed on line! I messed with the riding presets as well; COMFORT/NORMAL/SPORT and there is a definite difference in all 3 and they all serve a purpose. I was riding the twisties in 'SPORT' mode and the suspension was nice and tight. Left the twisties and was in town and switched to 'NORMAL' and it was good. Hopped back on the freeway and went into 'COMFORT' mode and it got even softer.

While riding the Trophy I goofed around with all the available 'goodies' the bike comes with and it was great! Sound system was much better than the C14's :015:! Suspension adjustment on the fly was much better the C14's :015:! The adjustable seat height was nice! Windscreen was a little short for me so I would have to get the taller version but it moves up quite a bit and I can see where it would provide excellent protection! I have a little less that 1/2 a tank of gas and it said I had 150 miles left till I need fuel. Shoot, if I had 1/2 a tank on my bike I'd need fuel in about 70-80 miles...MAX! I really, really like the fact that you don't have to have the key to open the side bags :062:!

So, all-in-all it was a great day! Had a blast riding both bikes! When it comes to power and the thrill of feeling like you're on a rocket the Concours wins hands-down! It's not even remotely  arguable...Concours is beast in power! I also really enjoy the sporty position the Concours puts you in when riding.

When it comes to everything else the Trophy wins hands-down!

I have put a lot of thought into what I want 'long term' and what's important to me. Both bikes look great! Both are fun to ride! BUT, when it comes down to it, the Trophy gives me more of what I'm looking for!

My final thought on the 2 bikes was this; for commuting and shorter distances the Concours would be the bike because of the power. But for every other type of riding the Trophy is going to be better! I ride pretty much every day and do a lot of commuting back-and-forth, 80 miles a day. I will also be taking longer rides, long distances and using it for travel. So, when it comes down to it....the Trophy is definitely a much more comfortable bike to ride and is soooo smmmooooooth! My next bike will be, without a doubt, the TRIUMPH TROPHY :046: :046: :046:!

I am going to sit with my wife this weekend and we're going to talk about timing. I want to get it when they drop the price which they do tend to do on occasion at my local shop. They drop it to $15,5k and throw in the vouchers from Triumph for the accessories. I will wait till then and, if the timing is right, by my new Trophy!

Offline wreckedem

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: tiger
  • City / Town: n.o.la.
Re: Results are in...New Trophy vs New Concours!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:14:00 am »
thanks for the report. I'm hoping to get one soon. fingers crossed. they were selling 2014 concours for $10000 at the dealer near me. my friend got one. couldn't find any more in the country for that cheap. makes me worried about resale on them now

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 12:15:52 am »
*Originally Posted by wreckedem [+]
thanks for the report. I'm hoping to get one soon. fingers crossed. they were selling 2014 concours for $10000 at the dealer near me. my friend got one. couldn't find any more in the country for that cheap. makes me worried about resale on them now

Are you going to buy Concours or Trophy?

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 12:17:05 am »

Also, I'm not worried about resale...I plan on riding it hard and for many, many miles so by the time I try to sell it or trade it she won't be worth much anyway!

Offline wreckedem

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: tiger
  • City / Town: n.o.la.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 12:24:18 am »
I'm kinda torn between a trophy and a k1600gt and maybe a k 1300gt

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 12:44:44 am »
I'm kinda torn between a trophy and a k1600gt and maybe a k 1300gt

I've ridden the K1600 several times (my buddy owns one) and I can tell you that I wasn't impressed. I would never want to own one but that's just me. The Trophy sits 'kind of' like the Trophy but the Trophy is nicer and moire enjoyable in my opinion! I've ridden RT several times too and it did nothing for me. Haven't ridden the 1300gt so I can't comment on that but fir , Trophy is great and a great value! Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for!

For me, it's now trying to convince my wife to go with me, take a ride on the Trophy with me and then sit down and listen to what they can offer and see if we can make something work...I really liked the Trophy and now that I've ridden it and got back on my Concours and have ridden home I am finding myself thinking about the Trophy and missing it already :012:!

Mike

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:27:03 am »
Thanks for the detailed ride report.  :018:

Take your time with the buy.  There are fantastic deals to be had with the TTSE.  You've got the C14 to ride so no big hurry.

For me, I actually like the K1600GT a lot.  It is second only to the TTSE of all the heavy STs I would seriously consider.  No way I'd buy a new one at BMW's ransom demand., but resale drops like a rock as soon as they go out of warranty.  I've seen low miles examples going for not much more than what a new TTSE go for.  If I ever get to ride extended long distant tours, I can see me possibly liking the  Big K bike more than even the TTSE for the very long haul.

Close to home though, 750 lbs is a lot of weight to throw around, so it isn't as versatile as the TTSE.  The turbine like in line 6 is another acquired taste.  Unlike RT's boxer twin, I do like the I6's immense pull, even if it does seem bland at times.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:56:19 am »
Thanks Volfy!

tweedy-bunch