Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: KY RT 38 is closed  (Read 1961 times)

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
KY RT 38 is closed
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:12:58 pm »
While riding this weekend we ended up on KY 38, between Harlan Ky and Keokee VA, we found out the mountain had fallen on the pavement and the road was closed with a detour.

I would recommend you avoid this road because the detour is in terrible shape with a long wait at the flag mans sign.

Here is a clip of the detour.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: KY RT 38 is closed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:45 am »
Good video, looked like you needed an `off roader' for that track -no spill, so  glad you made it
     :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »
One of the others dropped his Wing and had to have help to upright his bike.

Thankfully he had no injuries.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:08:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by OhioWinger [+]
One of the others dropped his Wing and had to have help to upright his bike.

Thankfully he had no injuries.

Were that the Wing rider directly behind you at the start? Did you all start out riding as a group?? How come you ended up way way out in front???

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:22 pm »
Not the rider directly behind us, there were 4 other Wings on this ride, we were riding as a group. Not sure why we got so far ahead  :187:

The guy who fell over, lost his front wheel in the deeper gravel.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »
Not the rider directly behind us, there were 4 other Wings on this ride, we were riding as a group. Not sure why we got so far ahead  :187:

The guy who fell over, lost his front wheel in the deeper gravel.

This can be the problem with group riding, easily corrected if the riders up front use their mirrors and adjust their speed according though. I don't see the point of organising a 'group ride out' if it ends up not being a group after all.

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:36:49 pm »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
This can be the problem with group riding, easily corrected if the riders up front use their mirrors and adjust their speed according though. I don't see the point of organising a 'group ride out' if it ends up not being a group after all.

I think you misunderstood the thread, it is a warning to those who might wish to travel on this route.

Group spacing on a gravel one mile detour?? The gravel was tricky being so thick in spots, I went at a pace I felt comfortable, I would not want to go slower and loss momentum. The group regathered at the end of the detour.

The guys I ride with, we have many thousands of miles riding together and use CB radios to call road hazards and general communication.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:19 am »
I think you misunderstood the thread, it is a warning to those who might wish to travel on this route.

Group spacing on a gravel one mile detour?? The gravel was tricky being so thick in spots, I went at a pace I felt comfortable, I would not want to go slower and loss momentum. The group regathered at the end of the detour.

The guys I ride with, we have many thousands of miles riding together and use CB radios to call road hazards and general communication.

Yeah I realised the point of the thread, it were just an observation and a reminder to me has to why I don't generally ride in groups any more.
At least you could have turned back to help that guy pick up his Wing if he came off, without a CB radio anyone way up front would be none the wiser.

tweedy-bunch