Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First Scratches!  (Read 4126 times)

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Marlton
First Scratches!
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »
So...have had the Trophy for about a month.    While parked, went to open up the left hand Pannier.   The strap at the rivet gives way, the pannier lid hits the concrete.    Didn't realize it gouged the plastic until I got home.

Barely noticeable, yet enough to annoy me......

Anyone else have the straps fail at the rivet?    Wonder if this, considering how new the bike is, would be covered.

Fortunately, the pannier lid isn't expensive.   Hardly worth the effort of wet sanding, etc, to restore when a new plastic cover is going to be less than the time and materials.

:157:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: First Scratches!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
Wouldn't this be a warranty item. I'd go see the dealer.  Rivet shouldn't give way in a month
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:27:30 AM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Needs fixing otherwise it'll happen again for sure

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by jordbarnet [+]
So...have had the Trophy for about a month.    While parked, went to open up the left hand Pannier.   The strap at the rivet gives way, the pannier lid hits the concrete.    Didn't realize it gouged the plastic until I got home.

Barely noticeable, yet enough to annoy me......

Anyone else have the straps fail at the rivet?    Wonder if this, considering how new the bike is, would be covered.

Fortunately, the pannier lid isn't expensive.   Hardly worth the effort of wet sanding, etc, to restore when a new plastic cover is going to be less than the time and materials.

:157:

Dude
While under warranty unless abused they should repair or replace. Take it back if its due to manufacturing defects.
Remember a part of the price you have paid will include warranty repairs  :005: Dont let them FU!! you over.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »
Wanted to share with everyone some experiences today....

First of all - Thank you for getting me thinking straight and heading over to the dealership.    They submitted it for claim under warrantee.    An implied accusation that I put weight into the part of the pannier that folds out was made.   This is absolutely not what happened.  I opened it - and the strap came undone from the rivet with the pannier landing on the asphalt.

On another note - I decided to see if I could buff out the scratch at home.  For this, I wanted to share my experiences with a couple of products.

I initially tried Novus - which I have used on windshields in the past to get scratches out.    Really nothing happened.
I then went to Wally-world and bought a product called Quixx Repair system.    It comes with a very fine grit sand paper, a couple of rags, and two tubes of chemicals.   What I spent an hour with a buffer and the Novus was almost completely eliminated in 15 minutes with this product.   (I don't work for this company at all....in fact, I work in health care!).  The third product I had bought I'm returning - Turtlewax Scratch remover.  Don't think I need it!
 :188:

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
Oh...as follow up....just a suggestion to everyone based on my experience with the strap failing....loop a plastic wire tie around the rivet attachment/strap for safety measure!   I'm doing that  to both panniers!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »
Sounds like good advice but still one would hope that Triumph would cover you under warranty.  Shouldn't have happened.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
I remember one other guy posting about the same thing and they fixed his under warranty.  After I read that post I have made a concerted effort to hold the outer shell as the bag opens.  However, once and a while my hands are full or whatever and the shell drops.  It does put some pressure on that rivet!