Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Quick France Blast  (Read 2592 times)

Offline GezB

• Trophy Member
  • Happy Dayz - Commuting on my Trophy
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Broadstairs - Kent
Quick France Blast
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:44:39 pm »
Evening Chaps  :001:

Well just made it back from France sucking vapours. We stared off last Sunday (22nd) rode down to Alencon stayed over night (very good bar in the IBIS there). Following day rode down to St Nazaire to see the WWII German sub pens only to find the museum was closed (bugger) but did enjoy the walk around the old sub pens tho. Departed next day for Limouges and visited the strange village of Oradour-sur-Glane, stayed over night then 6hr ride to Eprenay (which turned into 8 due to trying to find fuel), bought bottle of champagne for the BOSS in-doors and again stayed overnight. Next morning we set off only to find out route was blocked by some very angry strike guy's protesting and barricading the town so we headed West but same problem. South the same so we tried East made it to some sort of back road/dirt track and managed to make it out of there. Some 20 miles up the road we found a petrol station and only having to queue for 45 minutes for fuel thought it wasn't bad, so with a full tank we decided to head for the boarder (Belgium) but scuppered again with yet another blockade. Heads down and the Garmin working overtime managed to get out of Dodge without incident  :046:. We managed to make it to Bastonge, did the tourist things then headed for Ypres and then to Calais for the 22:20 train back to Blighty.

All in all a good trip except for the industrial action by some very angry people. Hey I didn't change your labour laws so please don't take it out on me  :233:. I think now France is only for the winter months as they don't seem to go out on strike then.

Only my thoughts

Ride safe

1365 Miles 26 Gallons Petrol and walking like John Wayne  :745:

PS Anybody know of a good pannier repair guy to remove scratches ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:04:50 pm by GezB »
Ride Safe

I Love My Trophy

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
Re: Quick France Blast
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:24 pm »
Many thanks for the update GezB, I'm off for a week around Burgundy end of July with a few friends and just hope this problem is cleared by then...

I love all things France but this type of action does my head in and I might have no option but to VOTE LEAVE and start bypassing France in future :033:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:54 am »
It does seem to appear that there is a law ensuring that 10% of the French population is on industrial action at any given time....

Sorry Didier but that is the view to the rest of the world! :012:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline GezB

• Trophy Member
  • Happy Dayz - Commuting on my Trophy
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Broadstairs - Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:31:34 am »
Morning RocketSteve

Should be cleared up by then- French government concede strikers win all back to normal.  :745:

I was amazed that yokel police didn't seem to take any action  :110: but the para-military police were just looking for a fight,  :192: bit like football in the 1970's

Anyway good luck and ride safe
Ride Safe

I Love My Trophy

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 03:21:39 pm »
Hi Gez, I'm keeping the glass 1/2 full and hope the same...

French Police don't normally react against their own folk like in the UK and I agree, the strikers usually win after a short token demo  :153:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »
Strangely always at holiday time.

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:05:35 pm »
Im over there on friday and hope the nation of collaborators can have it all sorted by then. Might have to lose the prepaid hotel in Reims and go south via Germany.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:38:39 am »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]
French Police don't normally react against their own folk like in the UK and I agree, the strikers usually win after a short token demo  :153:
Your right, having worked out of Coquelles alongside them for a few years,  its because most elements of them are in the same general Union, hence a slow response and reluctance to act in certain areas against the `strikers', which is why you often see them ( not all ) on the News,  seemingly  just standing around.... :017:       The CRS are a different story,  they will fight anyone, probably each other,  if ordered to.   :087:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:01:28 am by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '