Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: LED Fog Light Install  (Read 8409 times)

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
LED Fog Light Install
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:12:26 am »
Hey everyone, I took the fog lights off of my Concours so I could transfer them over to my TTSE. I had them on either side of my front wheel. I want to do the same thing on the TTSE.

Here are the lights I have;

and here's where I was thinking about mounting them...obviously removing the reflector and using that bolt to hold the light;

Any objections to using that as a mounting point?

On my Concours, under the left dash where the glove box was, was a boot containing a lot of wiring and connectors. In that boot were 2 wires, one was HOT when the bike was powered on and one was GROUND...both were extra and had nothing attached to them and that is where these lights were connected. The lights are to be 'ON' when the bike is powered on and 'OFF' when the bike's power is turned off.

Are there any wires up front on the TTSE that are HOT when power is ON and a GROUND up there that I can safely connect to? Where would it be located and how do I get to it...how easy is it to remove the plastic and will that work as a wiring solution on the TTSE?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
Re: LED Fog Light Install
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:25:04 am »
The only wires not used ( that I know of) are the ones under the left mirror, they are intended for a GPS install and get its power from the audio circuit. I would not connect to them.

Depending on the LEDs current draw you may be able to connect to 12V under the left pocket, I would go with an additional fuse panel like FuzeBlock so you would have room to expand.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:58:08 am »
yeah, I had a PDM60 on my C14 so I'll probably wait until I can get another one and do it that way...makes things much easier!

Those lights draw 1 amp @ 12V BTW

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:12:44 am »
I'm interested what you end up doing, thanks for adding pictures as the "before" view!  :017:

Something to consider is what your local laws are -- my state requires side orange reflectors up front and red in the rear, so either purchase some orange reflective tape for the outside of your fog lamps or figure out something else to avoid a ticket should you ever come across smokey the bear who woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  :192:

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:31:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mike2411 [+]
yeah, I had a PDM60 on my C14 so I'll probably wait until I can get another one and do it that way...makes things much easier!

Those lights draw 1 amp @ 12V BTW

If they only draw 1 amp each, then you can probably just tap the USB power in the glove box as I recall that being a 10 amp circuit, and the USB port pulls a max of 2.1 amps itself.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:18 pm »
If they only draw 1 amp each,
then you can probably just tap the USB power in the glove box....

NO ! You don't want to try doing that !

The power to the Cigar / Acccessory socket is on a 12volt 10 Amp circuit,
so you should be able to safely tap into that !  :028:

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:11:37 am »
If you going to wire them directly to power without a relay then I'm with Coconut on using the 12 volt plug on the box on the left front.
You can pull the box out and wire it up black is ground blue with red wire is positive.
The plug only has power when the motor is running the key just on does not give you power.
Just remember to plug back in the power for the latch or you will not be opening the glove box .
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 04:51:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
NO ! You don't want to try doing that !

The power to the Cigar / Acccessory socket is on a 12volt 10 Amp circuit,
so you should be able to safely tap into that !  :028:

Whichever one of them is the 10 amp circuit... I don't have the service manual in front of me at the moment. I seem to recall that the cigar socket and the USB socket are on the same circuit, but my memory may be faulty. It also occurs to me that the USB circuit has to be 5v, so they can't be the same. Yeah, use the cigar socket.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:53:22 pm by AZBob »
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch