Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlight  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Headlight
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
As a future Trophy owner, I was wondering what the opinions are on the headlight for night riding?  On the test rides it seemed to throw out enough light in a decent pattern based on how it was reflecting of road signs, but I have not tried it at night. As I plan to do night riding and some IBA style rides, lighting options are on my list.

If auxiliary lighting is still needed (enough is not enough!) options will probably become available, as the alternator is certainly up to it.  At the moment I run 70W HID H4 bulbs in the ST1100 headlight plus 2 euro bean 55W HIDs mounted on police brackets.  The ST1100 headlight does not have a very good bean pattern, so if the Trophy has that, then most of the battle is won.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Headlight
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
I do some night riding and find the current set up more than adequate. That said, running lights would not go amiss if only to allow more visibility in daylight.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »
Saaz, I have found the Trophy lighting more than adequate as is on Gippsland (Aust) country roads.  However if being seen is the go maybe concentrate on the rear so others can see you.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
The main headlights are bright and do illuminate the road well.  However, paranoid as I am, I'll be adding lights to the front and the back end.  More visibility is a GOOD thing.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
I find the lighting to be better than any other rock motorcycle I have ridden. It should be enough for ordinary night riding.  But of course it's always possible to outrace your lights. Not wise...but possible
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:36:56 PM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »
Agreed, I rode night before last for the first time, best stock lighting of any bike I've owned, adjustable also.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:55 AM »
Thanks for the responses, confirms what I had heard. The Trophy looks like it will do all I want without messy add ons.  A UHF CB radio fitted somewhere linked into a bluetooth system looks like the only real add on (a garmin 660 I already have to fit to the factory mount)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
Thanks for the responses, confirms what I had heard. The Trophy looks like it will do all I want without messy add ons.  A UHF CB radio fitted somewhere linked into a bluetooth system looks like the only real add on (a garmin 660 I already have to fit to the factory mount)
Are CBs still a big thing in Australia?  Is that because of the large stretches of wilderness between cities.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST