Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Northern France  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
Northern France
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »
I am off to Northern France for a couple of weeks and wonder if anyone has got any recommendations of places I should include in the itinerary.  I'll be riding two up with luggage and using the cross Channel ferry from Dover to Calais.  We prefer the boat to the tunnel.  From Calais we head west on the twisties, towards Dieppe, probably taking in Boulogne and Le Touquet en route.  Staying at Honfleur for three nights,  which we'll use as a base to explore the area, then on to Caen.   Mont St Michel in on the list and I will probably do the D-day beaches. 

So, apart from the many / all the good restaurants and bars,  where else should I go?   

Freeway Phil

PS. No, you are not getting a post card.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Northern France
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:45:17 pm »
Anywhere with a fuel station with fuel in it would be good!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:47:44 pm »
Seriously though.... here is a good route for the D Day beaches and other such spots
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:10:47 pm »
Hi Phil, this is a good Site, covers all the WWII  D Day locations to visit   :028:.   Just click on the `balloons' to expand site /or move the  map about.     A must is the Omaha Beach American War Memorial ( includes large Museum )  and 101st Airborne Museum.  From Hornfleur and  just into Caen. stop off at the Pegasus Bridge Centre.     Have a good and safe tour.
Regards,
Steve     :821:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&ie=UTF8&mid=1Oh2Ro8qvnhFLz8SorMFVZPbPrTA

( double click images )
[smg id=1318]
[smg id=1319]

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:36:11 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:32:18 pm »
Im in reims now after crossing to calais earlier in the day. Although not much info on the uk news re fuel,, there is no problem here at the minute. There was some news about floding but should be okay when you land

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:18:11 pm »
If your schedule allows for that: once in the Caen/Ouistreham (Peagasus Bridge) area before getting to Mont Saint Michel you may want to go N/NW and visit the Cotentin peninsula up to Cherbourg then go down the west coast (Barneville-Portbail-Grandville) to reach the Mont Saint Michel Bay.
I recommend the section between Barfleur and Cap de la Hague (through Cherbourg)  as well as the Baie d'Ecalgrain
Enjoy you trip and don't bother about floodings: there's nothing to fear in these areas and don't believe what you may read in newspapers!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline pantoscoop

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE15
  • City / Town: Vlaardingen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 10:28:06 pm »
*Originally Posted by Phil [+]
Staying at Honfleur for three nights,  which we'll use as a base to explore the area, then on to Caen.   Mont St Michel in on the list and I will probably do the D-day beaches. 
Dear Phil,
 these places are very impressive. I was there last year and it was very impressive. Especially at the D-day beatches!
Mont St Michel is very commercial   :018:, but fun to experience.

Offline neilacwilson

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE in black
  • City / Town: Potters Bar
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:56:44 pm »
... The Alps! Just back from the Tyrol and the Gro▀glockner Hochalpenstra▀e. The Trophy is an excellent mile muncher (500 mile days) that can also handle the alpine roads with aplomb. What are you waiting for?  :152: