Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another TPMS post but a bit different I think  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
Another TPMS post but a bit different I think
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
Ok guys here we go , I get many times in a ride ( every few minutes on and off) a Low pressure warning for the rear tire, I get the red light plus the sign where the radio info is listed and my odometer change to give me the actual tire pressure readings, so thats three ways to let me know

1. I suppose its all good to have more warnings than none

2. the thing is .... it tells me the pressure is 41 or 42 psi for the rear tire  :033: , isnt that what its supposed to be? And if it is, how come it gives me warnings ? And yes , I checked manually and reading is correct!

3. Is there a way to disable one or all three warnings WITHOUT losing the ability of selecting the tire pressure readout to check it !?
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Another TPMS post but a bit different I think
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
You should not get warnings unless there is a sudden drop in pressure. If you are getting warnings but the pressure is stable I would suggest there is a fault either with the sensor or the receiver unit on the bike. Either way is probably a trip to the dealer. It may just need re-pairing but I think only dealers can do that.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:56:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
You should not get warnings unless there is a sudden drop in pressure. If you are getting warnings but the pressure is stable I would suggest there is a fault either with the sensor or the receiver unit on the bike. Either way is probably a trip to the dealer. It may just need re-pairing but I think only dealers can do that.

Thanks, but it still puzzles me as why warning are intermittent and readout always within the good parameters , also , can warnings be disabled without disabling the whole TPMS? Cause if so , that could save or least delay a trip to the dealer and $$ if no longer on warranty !
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:00:48 pm »
I don't believe there is a way for the rider to disable the warnings. I haven't seen any thing in the menu settings. The fact that the fault is intermittent but the pressure is stable says fault, its just where is it, sensor or reader? Like I say... it may just need a re-boot
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:19:35 pm »
After I put my bike back together earlier this week after having been apart for almost four months, I took it out on a shake-down run and forgot to check the tires. I immediately got the same red light and the pressure stating it was a couple of pounds low. When I got back, I checked the pressures (the next morning, because you only check cold pressures), and they were both two pounds low on a very accurate air pressure gauge that I have. I put two pounds in each tire and haven't seen any warnings thus far.

So: perhaps you're checking when the tires are hot? Perhaps your gauge isn't reading accurately (i.e. reads a bit low)? Put two pounds in each tire and see what happens.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »
ok ty, will give a try !
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline r1pete

• Trophy Pro
  • 24 years of "Cage Free" living and still unmelted
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Idaho High Desert
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:43:49 am »
I'm at a complete loss but I am afraid to read anymore of the threads on this forum!
I never had the red warning ever come on since I bought the bike. I have put and kept my cold tire pressure at 37psi Front, 38psi Rear since day one. Nothing's changed in several months and 16K miles since I got it. Changed the rear TPSM 3 months ago as a warranty issue. And no red light ever.
Then I read this thread a few days ago as well as one other thread also mentioning the same red warning light coming on out of the blue..... POOF, my red tpms warning light came on when I go back on my bike after 10 minute stop when l started it. Reboot and away it went. Then it happened again later when I came home but went out on its own without a reboot.
So if I read about an issue, my bike then exhibits the same issue. Too strange.
Motorcycles in my garage currently:
2016 Triumph Trophy SE, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1K Adv

Now looking for something new for summer play.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 04:48:02 am »
I have observed the exact same symptoms. I think it has something to do with the computer thinking at start up that the tire pressures are cold pressures, and using the current ambient temperature to figure out what 36/42 psi should be (pressure increases with temperature).

For example, my tires are set to factory 36/42 psi, but at something around 100*F ambient air temperature because of where I live. On my current trip, I've seen the warning several times in the morning or when stopping to get gas when the ambient air temperature is quite disparate from my fill temp (around 65*F) and restarting and the tire temps have a chance to drop. Soon after riding and getting the temps (and thus the pressures) up, the warning goes away. In that lower temp, I probably could have used another 1-2psi in the tires, but I knew I would be riding into 90*F+ temp weather soon, so I wasn't worried about it.

Tire pressures are affected by the temperature of the air in the tire (which changes as you ride, obviously), the ambient air temperature (which changes as you ride, the day progresses, and with weather, all, perhaps, in the same ride), as well as the atmospheric pressure (which changes with both altitude and weather). The fact that they can get this to work at all is somewhat amazing to me.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch