Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPS battery change  (Read 5242 times)

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid

Offline IMDMAN

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: vision,gsxr,S3,ktm,x
  • City / Town: aberdeen
Re: TPS battery change
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:37 am »
I did my rear wheel sensor last week. U beat me to the post w pics. Pretty easy job

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:48 pm »
Have any of these TPMS sender units with batteries replaced been fitted back in the wheels and on to the bike? I am just back from my trip in Europe been away six weeks and just before I left I had new tyres fitted ,while the tyres were off I replaced the batteries in the senders. Thought I had been successful as when the bike was started no low voltage alarms on TPMS but after riding for less than ten minutes the warning light on speedo gauge lit up and stayed on, took the bike into the new Triumph dealer in Newcastle to see if they could reset and if not turn of TPMS they were unable to reset the system and couldn't even turn of TPMS to get rid of the red lamp. Because they are new to Triumph they checked with another dealer who Knew of the problem and said that they will not get the lamp to reset and the answer seems to be new sensors, covered The lamp area with black tape to stop the annoyance.

PS, the TPMS lamp lights after about eight minuets riding from every engine restart which could indicate that the system is timing out after failing to connect with the senders.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:10:22 pm by skiprat »

Offline IMDMAN

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: vision,gsxr,S3,ktm,x
  • City / Town: aberdeen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:53:34 am »
So you installed the new battery yourself is that correct?  If so maybe you didn't get a good connection.  I did my rear one so far and works perfectly

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:09:06 pm »
used pre wired batteries and protected the sender with a heat sink while soldering and am confident of connections.
The batteries I removed were both at 3.01v and showing low voltage on the display but the alarm lamp never showed, replacement batteries were at 3.32v and when connected if I remember dropped to 3.2 something, was a bit concerned at this and as I had five batteries I swapped it again and this also dropped to 3.2 so assumed the sender was involved with this. I have thought that I might have replaced them back into the rim the wrong way round but I was taking my time with this job.
It is good to know that battery replacement has been done successfully.

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:47:18 pm »
Also to above when I asked that the TPMS system be removed from the bike I was told that it would involve hours of work because the ecu has to be downloaded and reinstalled without the TPMS and that Triumph were aware of this and it would be easier to replace with new senders.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 11:40:37 pm »
Are you folks removing the tyre yourselves? Can you get your hand in/sensor out if you just remove one side of the tyre off the rim or are you re fitting the tyre in exactly the same spot otherwise you may have un balancing issues?? 

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 10:12:16 pm »
In my case took rims home from tyre fitters after tyres were off and returned to have new tyres fitted, my bike is 2012 and the TPMS was fitted when new as an extra so it is a very early type of sender and was able to split the housing, you would have to feel in rim behind the tyre wall and use an Allen key to remove sender by splitting from valve.