Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Request your two cents on BRP vacation !  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
Request your two cents on BRP vacation !
« on: June 11, 2016, 04:15:44 am »
Early august 3 bikes, me , my wife( on hers) and another couple on a bike will be coming down from Montréal to do the BRP , now requesting your two cents on what to do, must see etc on and off the parkway

for starters we were thinking to visit some caverns, Little Switzerland and also Asheville

which if any caverns would you recommend ? What not to miss in Asheville and LZ and also what tourist trap to avoid! Any recommandation on lodging ?

as far as the parkway is concerned , we will probably not do the whole thing due to some passenger restraint  :157: :192: :087: so my question is, what parts would you skip ( I thought maybe the Skyline Dr) if you had to like me  :012: :233: or better which part you would make sure not to miss!?

Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
Re: Request your two cents on BRP vacation !
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:28 am »
 Luray Caverns is worth a look, located in Luray, VA

http://luraycaverns.com

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
Its great country,
A word of warning, Watch your speed! They take the speed limits very seriously.
Dont be afraid to get off the main drag, You will find some great side roads.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »
I am not one to tell you which parts to skip.  I enjoy it all and have ridden the entire length several times in both directions.

Don't miss Grandfather mountain, mount Mitchell State Park, Blowing Rock, the highest point on the BRP, etc.

The temperature will be cooler on the BRP than in the valleys.

Do some homework on gas stations along the BRP.  There are  few right off the road.  In other places you might have to travel 20 miles for fuel.

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »
I agree with TwoWheelAddict's recommendations and would also be hesitant to recommend things to skip.  This my favorite ride!  That said, as you are time constrained, or so I understand, I would pass by the Skyline Drive.  It is a pretty ride, no doubt, but the speed limit is very low, and totally enforced, making the go a slow one.  BRP has a low limit too (45mph), but comparably much faster and not as enforced (although enforced it is). 

In my eyes, and no offense intended to the Virginia part of the BRP, the Virginia portions of the BRP pale in comparison to the NC portions.  I recommend you budget more loiter time in N.C.

Off the BRP a ways is Chimney Rock State Park (N.C.) and has some amazing eye candy. {http://www.ncparks.gov/chimney-rock-state-park}

Back on the BRP Asheville, N.C. is a stop not to miss. (Overnighter recommended.) The Folk Art Center on the BRP just outside of Asheville is very much worth dropping the kick stand for. (They ship.  I know. Been there; done that.)  In Asheville, or more accurately Biltmore Village, the Biltmore Mansion is worth the visit - but it takes time to take it all in. Otherwise, in the village are some nice shops (they ship too) and places to eat.  (Highlander Ale is good for a dry throat.)

At the southern terminus of the BRP you are only a few rotations from the Smokey Mountain Natl. Park (US 441) and only a few more to The Dragon (U.S. 129).  Might as well earn your Dragon patch while you're in the hood!

Stop and "smell the roses" often. Enjoy this gem of the ride! Ride Safe!   :821:

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:28:05 pm »
I suggest you stop at the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC. Close to the BRP. I also would skip Skyline Drive. The Biltmore mansion is a good tour spot especially for your wife. Many, many brew pubs in Asheville...
Serial BMW rider

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 07:19:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
I suggest you stop at the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC. Close to the BRP. I also would skip Skyline Drive. The Biltmore mansion is a good tour spot especially for your wife. Many, many brew pubs in Asheville...

Another vote for "Wheels Through Time", it's worth 3 or 4 hours of your time to see bikes that you may never see anywhere else, certainly not in running condition like ALL of these are!

I live in Virginia and have ridden the Parkway all my riding life (1970 to now).    I enjoy all of it.    Speed limit on the Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Afton (Rockfish Gap) is 35 MPH but very scenic (although you have to pay to get on it).    I like all of the rest of it .... Mabry Mill is a nice stop, and the Tuggle's Gap Restaurant is genuine Virginia cuisine, and cookin' too!

If you are behaving (ie not passing cars in no-passing zones) you can run about 52 MPH and the Park Police (they're Federal, not state or county) won't say anything, but if you DO get a ticket it's $500 and you have to go to Federal Court in Asheville to pay it, no mailing it in ... so be careful.    That being said, I've never gotten a ticket in all these years, although I was riding in a Ford Mustang in 1976 when my long-haired friend got a ticket for 47 in a 45 .... !!

Lannis

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »
I posted this last year, but it still applies. Been over there twice this year already  :152:

Wow! Where do I start and how much time do you have? I have ridden the BRP every year since 1976 and it never gets old. I just returned from a ride on Skyline Drive which is the northern end. My first trip took me five days because I had to stop at every overlook and check out every sight along the way. I now usually do it in three days at a easy pace. Speed limit on Skyline drive is 35mph and the BRP is 45mph. This may seem a bit slow, but the scenery and wildlife make these speeds a must if you want to enjoy and be safe. I never understood the people who want to get up there and run as fast as they can, we have freeways for that, go ride on them. Weekends will have heavier traffic which is not always a problem, but takes your attention away from the scenery. Deer are everywhere and they are not shy, they will come into your path and just stand there. I had to come to a stop and flash my lights twice last week. Flashing the lights seemed to get them to move better than honking the horn. There is no gasoline available on the Parkway, but you never have to travel far to find gas once you are off the BRP. As far as places to stay and food to enjoy the list is almost endless and I am sure more folks will chime in with their favorite spots. One of my favorites is the Lakeview Restaurant at Fancy Gap, Virginia. This is where route 52 crosses the BRP. Another favorite area to eat and stay is in Maggie Valley, North Carolina near the southern end of the BRP. This is also the home of the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum. Oh yeah, take raingear. You will most surely have some rain, not always heavy and not always long lasting, but it does rain a lot up there. Another weather issue is the fog. I live in Ohio and I thought I knew what thick fog looked like. I was wrong. They can and do get ZERO visibility conditions. Also be prepared for cool weather even during July and August. I have went from cool weather gear to rain gear to summer gear many times in just a span of a few hours. Enjoy the BRP and if you are like me and many others it may just become a MUST DO ride every year.