HOW TO : Remove the Fairing AND Fit R&G Adventure ( Crash ) Bars by Coconut
[Today at 08:47:14 am]

Best BT headset by fluxxcomp
[Yesterday at 11:53:03 pm]

"best" blutooth comms system? by trophied
[Yesterday at 11:42:24 pm]

Which garmin fit the standard triumph mount? by 1675
[Yesterday at 11:15:15 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cheap, but highly effective topbox  (Read 3124 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200SE
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
Cheap, but highly effective topbox
« on: June 11, 2016, 01:07:28 pm »
Hi Folks - I thought you all might like to see a simple mod I recently put together for my Trophy. I often ride without the panniers, my ancient tail pack now leaks like a sieve and more importantly is not secure when the bikes parked up. I dislike large top boxes vehemently, which ruled out the Triumph one and set about looking for a smaller alternative. Whilst there are several on the market to be honest they're still a lot of money for what they are and generally look naff. By chance I was browsing my local DIY store and came across a toolbox of exactly the right dimensions in black polypropylene, waterproof and tough. I bought it for £30, a hasp and staple lock for £10 and £2 for some locking nuts.   

It took me a few hours to fit, but does the job nicely for a fraction of the cost without impeding rear vision due to excess width. The following pictures will attempt to show you how I fitted it after removing the makers stickers and logos.  :001: 

The dimensions the toolbox are 26cm wide (18 inch) just to the edge of the passenger grab rails. 23.6cm deep (9 1/4 inches) and 31 cm tall (12 inches) The lock needed some one inch spacers underneath to lift it away from the lip of the box. Plastic shelf blocks sufficed. Locking nuts behind keep the lock secure.

I considered making a metal plate to raise the box up by the one inch needed to clear the rear rack, but settled on sleeves cut from aluminium (an old cycle side stand) and some washers on either end - super glued on. The two rear sleeves are 2.5cm length (one inch) and the other 1.6cm.

Triumph handily have captive nuts welded onto a plate for the two rear bolts. (underneath the rack which I took off for ease of fitting). The central hole just needed several washers and a nut to secure, with a locking nut inside the box. 

The tricky part was lining it all up accurately to drill the holes in the base of the box. I turned the rack and box upside down on my workbench, measured carefully and used duck tape to secure it before drilling. 

Once the rear rack and passenger grab rail was back on the bike it was a simple case of lining it all up and screwing it on. No mods to the standard Triumph rack (the faceplate is in storage) and with just 3 bolts its removable in minutes if needed.

The box has cantilevered shelves inside and after a few rides out I removed the top one to make more space. As a finishing touch I put a Triumph sticker above the lock to cover the bare area where the Stanley logo was.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has. Happy riding.     
Lambretta LI 150, Triumph Tiger Cub, Honda C70, Honda CB175, CB125 Twin, CB250, CB500, CB550, Suzuki 400, Kawasaki Z400 and a BMW R90/6, Kawasaki GT550, Triumph Daytona 900, Triumph Trophy1200, Triumph Trophy 1215 SE

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
Re: Cheap, but highly effective topbox
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »
Very Cool! :821:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:35:11 pm »
Hi Bob, well done on an effective and affordable top box option mod. Looks as though it was even intended as one! :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 02:53:47 pm »
Very creative, I like it. Do you have a side profile photo of it on the bike?

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 05:44:54 pm »
Nice job BikerBob. Looks stout and not so big as to be much of a sail. I like it

Studley

Offline bikerbob

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200SE
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:28:54 am »
Thanks for the positive replies folks. Even a few bikers who took a look at it whilst I was stopped for a coffee thought it was a motorcycle specific box. When I told them the cost, several took out phones and took pictures vowing to buy one for themselves.

Your point Studley about it not being a 'sail' is a good one and is one of the reasons I chose the box in the first place. So far at reasonable motorway speeds 70 - 85mph its rock solid and has no effect on the handling.

Anyway enclosed is a side view picture as requested by Zebraranger.
Lambretta LI 150, Triumph Tiger Cub, Honda C70, Honda CB175, CB125 Twin, CB250, CB500, CB550, Suzuki 400, Kawasaki Z400 and a BMW R90/6, Kawasaki GT550, Triumph Daytona 900, Triumph Trophy1200, Triumph Trophy 1215 SE

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:54:50 pm »
Nice job BikerBob. Looks stout and not so big as to be much of a sail. I like it

The topcase on the previous Trophy's 900 and 1200 made those bikes behave like a sailboat from say 120 Km/h or more.
I do not sense any influence of the present topcase on my SE no matter which speed, riding alone or two up.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:38:31 pm »
I like that. I equipped my Reflex scooter with a $25 Rubbermaid Action Packer, but I like the toolbox approach much better. Thanks for the idea,

tweedy-bunch