Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trying something new  (Read 2507 times)

Offline piercmar2

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Albuquerque NM
Trying something new
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:52 am »
Well, after growing tired of not getting any more than about 8-9k on a rear PR4 or PR4 GT, and with reconsidering keeping my 2013 darksided.  I am trying a new tire on both my Trophys.  I have mounted a Michelin Commander 2 on both of them.  it is a slightly over sized tire, but it fits well.  Stock as you know is a 190-55-17.  The Commander 2 is a 200-55-17 Radial .  These are the tires that the Cruiser/Power Cruiser crowd are getting between 12k miles and 20k miles on.  If I can get say 12K I will be a happy camper....
Mark
2013 Trophy ( running darkside )
2014 Trophy
2014 ZX14

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Trying something new
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:33:14 pm »
Somewhere in Hinckley, a Triumph engineer is groaning...    :017:

What are you running on the front tire?

Good luck with your experiment.
Serial BMW rider

Offline piercmar2

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Albuquerque NM
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:02:51 am »
Currently have PR4's on the front of both of the Trophys.  I dont like the way they wear but there isnt a lot a of choice on that front.   Im sure I will eventually find something different though.  A lot of Iron Butt riders are electing to stick with PR3's due to less cupping etc.   
Mark
2013 Trophy ( running darkside )
2014 Trophy
2014 ZX14

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
I have YET to have any first hand experience with the NEW road smart 3s  But their initial reviews say they are outstanding on wear and tear and road grip.  Just not available here yet. I am holding out for them before my next IBA ride.. IF they dont live up to their claims I will be going to my favorite,,  and rejoin the daekside
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 04:36:20 pm »
Hey piercmar2. If more than 10 K Miles on rubber is your objective then go for it. More miles require a harder compound and less sticktion. If that works for you that's good. Please, let us know your thoughts once you have a few miles on them.

Studley

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:56:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by Studley [+]
Hey piercmar2. If more than 10 K Miles on rubber is your objective then go for it. More miles require a harder compound and less sticktion. If that works for you that's good. Please, let us know your thoughts once you have a few miles on them.

Studley

That statement about less stickiness only applies if you try and get more miles on M/C tires, because they have to go HARD on the tread.  BUT if you go dark,  Its the other way around,  EXTREMELY better traction in rain. and loose surfaces and contrary to the uninformed naysayers when properly inflated you can still grind the floorboards off your bike
  I used Michelin alpins on 2 of my bikes and a bridgestone drive guard on my ctx  bike( 2 wings and a CTX1300)  As soon as I can afford it I will be swapping out my rear tire for a run flat too
27,000 miles on my last wing run flat and still had probably about another 10,000 left when I traded
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:01:52 pm by kniterider »
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working