Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Loss of electrical power  (Read 5626 times)

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Loss of electrical power
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:01 am »
Just been on a 3000 mile tour of the Alps and whilst in Calais on the  return, the bike cut out at 5mph. There was no electrical power at all. If the handlebars were turned to the left, power was restored, but went off when in the ahead position.
Moving the main wire to the ignition switch restored power, but only whilst the wire was held. Im pleased this happened at 5mph on a quiet road, not the previous day when I did 500 miles in rain on German autobahns, 100 miles of which were on contraflow with nowhere to go. The bike is 3 yrs old, dealer serviced and 48k. I know Garmin Dave had a similar issue, but what about other members? If this is an issue, it is certainly a dangerous one and Triumph need to be aware to consider a recall. I am hoping they will also consider my breakdown and repair as a gesture of goodwill, fingers crossed.

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: Loss of electrical power
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »

Offline Blazer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: County Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:48:50 pm »
And me.  Mine happened around 29000miles.

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:08:03 pm »
Something similar happened to me when it had 32.000 km. The problem is related to the bunch of wires coming out from the left down side of the key switch cylinder-Block. Seems to be that the movement of the handle bar cuts one of the cables and the problem shows up in different "versions". Stopping the engine, switching off the headlights, etc. The latter was my problem.

Only solution: change the switch cylinder-block. Any other would be just a "pray for the futer solution".

320 euros was the total bill in Madrid. 2 hours of labour because to reach and mount and dismont the cylinder block they have to dismount the whole head of the bike.

Good luck my friend. Keep usupdated of the evolution.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:00:17 am »
This is being reported a little more frequently now - Triumph are are of the issue
having had a number of Trophy's back in for repair to the Ignition Switch,
and if I remember correctly there are a few Members that had things put right by Triumph
even after their Warranty had expired, as it was a "known issue".

One of the problems you may encounter is that when the Ignition switch is replaced
you will end up with a separate key for that, compared the locks for the Luggage and seat release.

Again, some Members have persisted and not accepted a separate key ( though others may prefer this ),
and Triumph have replaced ALL of the locks to leave the Owner with just one key.

If anyone suffers from this problem, my advice would be to consult your Dealer,
let them know that YOU know, that Triumph are aware of this issue, and insist they put it right -
with a full set of replacement locks if that is what you desire, at their expense, even if out of warranty.

Meanwhile, I have now added this the HOW TO: Check the most common faults & Issues Topic - Page 2,
under the alphabetically arranged Heading of IGNITION SWITCH - WIRING CONNECTION(S) :028:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:40:19 pm by Coconut »

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:16 pm »
Got lots of good news about my breakdown. The bike was recovered to Laguna Motorcycles of Ashford where I dealt with Jim, the service manager. I explained the problem and that I was booked to go to the Skerries road races in Ireland then the Southern 100 in IOM on 30-6-16. Despite their workshops being very busy, they turned my bike round qnd fixed it within 4 working days. I collected it yesterday and the bonus was, Triumph paid. I now have 2 keys, but will live with it. Top marks to Laguna and Triumph and I shall be writing to thank both. Coincidentally, Ashford is the home of Norman motorcycles and my first bike for the disused railway line was their finest Nippy moped which I got in 1972 for 50p. My hobby has cost me more since!!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:36 am »
Thanks for the update 1675  :028:

Well done to all involved  :047:

Have a great time in Ireland  :152:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:39:45 pm by Coconut »

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 01:14:15 pm »
Indeed, since it is near impossible to arrange a trip to the IOMTT, a report on visiting for the Southern 100 races as a alternative would be appreciated!
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch