Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Buy before you ride ?  (Read 5970 times)

Offline coalcliff

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Buy before you ride ?
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:23:39 am »
Hey all,
      Its not like buying a car is it !
I have only been riding just over a year and just got my full Bike licence here in Australia and would like to upgrade to the 2017 Triumph Trophy BUT there is a limited availability. I am told that over the next 5 weeks 15 are being shipped to OZ and they will be sold before they land here. There are no dealers in the whole country with any 2016 models left in stock to use for a test ride! I can order a bike and have it sometime over the coming 5 weeks but its a shame customers cant test ride before they commit to buying. The dealers say that they will prob never have enough stock to show on the floor unless its sold waiting for owner to pickup.  Being so rare a bike here in oz I assume it would be a good investment, though I wonder what the availability of parts would be like? even under warranty I dont want to be waiting weeks for items.
I am considering the BMW 1200RT because of this but I really desire the Trophy.
   My question is would you buy a bike without 1st having to option to test ride ??
Cheers
 :006:

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Buy before you ride ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:45:13 am »
Hi coalcliff,

It's a real dilemma isn't it ?

Maybe you need a vacation across to the UK ( or somewhere else on the Planet )
where they have Trophy models in stock, and you can take a Test Ride here or there ! ?

If that's not possible then I can say that there are a few of our Members
that have bought a Trophy without ever having ridden one,
and have all been pleased with their purchase.

Also, the majority of our Members that DID take a Test Ride were smitten and bought one,
and while their are no Guarantees it is unlikely ( "statistically" ! ) that you would regret such a decision.
( Though of course there MAY be some that took a Test Ride and did NOT buy one,
and so did not become a Forum Member and we don't hear of their experiences ! ).

As for the question of Spare Parts availability, how about an email enquiry to Triumph
to ask what their Spare Parts provision policy is for Australia ?

Here's their email address : info@triumphmotorcycles.com.au

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:48:16 pm by Coconut »

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:54 am »
Hi Coalcliff, I had made up my mind to buy a Trophy before I took the test ride - but I had been riding a Sprint ST, and I knew the local dealer. There are a number of well-traveled forum members from down under - I'm sure they will be able to offer their advice. But good luck whichever way you decide  :002:
cecilt

Offline Tiny Tim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy
  • City / Town: Chepstow
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:05:15 am »
Taking Coconut's comments, which I wholeheartedly concur with, along with your comments on the availability in Oz, and the chance that you're one of the few who don't take to it, at least it'll be easy to sell on!

I predict that you'll be well and truly smitten, like the rest of us.

You'll be riding with the biggest grin you've ever had and the screen will help keep the flys out of your teeth; even in Oz!
The world is divided into 10 types. Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Regards

Tiny Tim

Offline winebarr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Miami
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:44:25 pm »
Hi Coalcliff:

I am one of those individuals that purchased the Trophy without a test ride. I got the chance to sit on one at a motorcycle show but the opportunity to test ride wasn't an option. I can tell you that leap of faith, after reading reviews and the comments posted by owners on this site, was well worth it. As many have said before me "the more you ride it the more you will love it". For me and many others it is an awesome bike. Good luck in your decision making.

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »
I bought without a test ride.  And this was back in 2013.   Mine has been flawless.  Best bike I've ever owned.  Or ridden for that matter.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
 :400: to the forum.  Not being able to test ride a motorcycle is the reason I ended up with a BMW and ultimately my Trophy.  All the Japanese brands here in Texas cited "insurance reasons" for not allowing test rides.  Harley, BMW,  Triumph, and Aprilia were the only brands that allowed test rides, and only two of those fit my riding interests.  I guess the biggest consideration for you should be your physical stature and how that would fit on the Trophy.  Some tall or long legged riders may feel cramped on the Trophy, but there are solutions for that too.  I guess the vast majority of us on this forum would buy another Trophy now without riding it, but then we've already owned one!  The closest competition you could ride would be the R1200RT.  Ride that one and then imagine a smoother engine, better wind protection, more user friendly/compatible audio system, and much lower price, and make the decision.  Either way you probably won't regret it.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 02:10:02 pm »
I have bought a couple of bikes with out a test ride, Not this one but others.
I knew what I wanted and just got it.

There is no right or wrong....its all about  you in this case
You are the guy who has to pay for it.

tweedy-bunch