Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Down shifting in the rain?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline BIC

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
Down shifting in the rain?
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:38:44 pm »
I did a search and didn't see any common results, so I figured I'd ask the masses.  On my commute this morning I hit some rain, which didn't seem to bother me as much as my last ride did.  Anyway, I pulled over under an overpass to stick my phone in the pannier, but the bike wouldn't let me downshift.  In fact when I came to a stop I couldn't get the bike down to neutral, it was stuck in 5th.  I turned the bike off to move the phone, and waited a couple of minutes before attempting anything else.  I tried to get it back to neutral with the ignition off and there was no sound or clicks from the transmission.  I thought I was screwed... stuck on I95.  Turned the ignition back on and it was in 3rd.  Another attempt and no sound was made, but all of a sudden it was in Neutral and I was able to start it.  The rest of the ride to work was fine (a little damp but fine).  Any ideas what this could be?

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Down shifting in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:02:44 pm »
there have been a couple of people with bent selector forks on here. 

But I do not know why it should do what happened to you.  It looks like it got confused at to which gear it was in?  But you then said it did not seem to be changing gear physically but the display changed.  Most weird ?

Being in the UK we do a lot of riding in the rain.  (in fact I am just about to !!!!)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:08:35 pm »
It's nearly impossible to shift a constant mesh transmission when it's not moving. Let the clutch out a little bit so spin up the transmission, pull the clutch in and then shift. You should consider downshifting as you slow so that you are in a gear that can get out of harm's way if things go sideways.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:30:14 pm »
Bingo , I THINK,  These constant mesh transmissions , need to be turning to change gears, IN fact most of the time if you make a mistake and come to a complete stop in 5th or 6th gear  you will have to ease the clutch out to downshift one at a time slowly so you don't bend something
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working