Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Insurance  (Read 5252 times)

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Insurance
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
Progressive wants $822 a year for full coverage on the Trophy. I was paying $300 a year for the same coverage on my 2007 BMW 1200GS. I realize its a newer, more expensive bike but...what the hell happened?!? What are you all here in the States paying?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:59 am »
I had Progressive a few years ago but dropped them.  First year they had the lowest rate, then the next year they doubled the premium.  When I inquired why they said because I hadn't paid one medical bill.  I asked if they bothered to inquire that the billing was under dispute (later resolved in my favor).  Progressive said no, didn't bother to check, they were just raising the rate because "they were allowed to".  So I dropped them, went to Geico, who turned out to be lower priced anyway.  Been with Geico for about 5-6 years.  Very happy with them.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:14:22 pm »
I got a little bit better quote from Dairyland...didn't even know they were still around. Monday, I'll try Allstate and the lizard. These quotes are crazy for a guy almost 60 years old, 1 ticket in 23 years and my last motorcycle claim was when I hit a cow in 1989...hardly my fault.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
went to Geico, who turned out to be lower priced anyway.  Been with Geico for about 5-6 years.  Very happy with them.
Just out of curiosity: are you working for the Government? I try to remember my company was reinsuring them and I've kept somewhere in my memory thet GEICO was initially founded to offer insurance products to the Civil Servants and other Government Employees, correct?
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »
I'm not liking being charged $630 for my bike policy from Progressive.  That's twice what I was paying on the Tiger 800.  They also increased my auto rates.  No reason, just because.
I'm gonna shop around.

I used to be with GEICO.  They were initially an insurance provider for government employees, but they offer policies to anyone now. 

The trouble is with US insurance companies, you can switch and get a lower rate for the first year or so, then they'll jack your rates up.  They ALL do it.  $$$ making devils. :233:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:23:16 pm »
*Originally Posted by Verdun95 [+]
Just out of curiosity: are you working for the Government? I try to remember my company was reinsuring them and I've kept somewhere in my memory thet GEICO was initially founded to offer insurance products to the Civil Servants and other Government Employees, correct?
Not at all affiliated with the government.  Although GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company they sell policies to everyone.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:08 pm »
thanks
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
I got a little bit better quote from Dairyland...didn't even know they were still around. Monday, I'll try Allstate and the lizard. These quotes are crazy for a guy almost 60 years old, 1 ticket in 23 years and my last motorcycle claim was when I hit a cow in 1989...hardly my fault.
BTW your profile is almost exactly the same as mine, except I never hit a cow.  My premium is $522 a year including collision, liability, etc.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST