Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Ride magazine touring bike special - worlds best tourer  (Read 11355 times)

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
  • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
Ride magazine touring bike special - worlds best tourer
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:34 am »
Whilst quickly flicking through the bike mags I noticed Ride magazine has done a touring bike comparison test. Only had a brief scan but noticed (yawn) that the RT came out top. In a class of it's own they said, yet the only advantage it appeared to have over the Trophy was better switch gear (at a significantly higher cost of course) - yes they are still banging on about the Trophy's difficult to use menu and cruise control. Really? If a technophobe like me can quickly get used to both anyone can.  Also one tester cheekily described the Trophy as "a poor man's RT" (£15000+ incl a few extras - hmm poor eh?)) for no good reason I could see. Anyway at that point, in disgust, I decided not to buy it. Perhaps other members will read the full article and let us have their opinions of this latest comparison test.
Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: Ride magazine touring bike special - worlds best tourer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »
I wonder who does more advertising in Ride magazine, BMW or Triumph?
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Enid, OK
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »
The TTSE is the first bike I have owned that has all the electronic gizmos and I have not had any trouble in configuring them the way I want.  What do they think is so hard about the cruise control???   :187:  There is one "on/off" button and then a single toggle to set, reduce speed, increase speed, and resume.  My car is more complicated than that.  Sheesh.  At least they mentioned the TTSE in the article.  I see some where it is not even listed as an alternative in the sport-tour class.  That really annoys me.

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »
Follow the Money.
No magazine that I have ever seen will give a fair review to the big money companies.
For some strange reason, the more money you spend with a magazine on ads, the better reviews you get.
Funny the way that works.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:47:40 pm »
The Trophy is faster, handles better, costs less, sounds a lot better, has less vibration (none), has (WAY) less expensive accessories (price up the cost of the soft luggage for the RT and compare; you'll lose your mind), and the switchgear is "OK" -- it's not better than the RT's, but it's no worse -- people complain about the wheel, too -- and having dedicated buttons for the grip warmers and seat warmers is actually better than scrolling through menus, IMO. Oh, and the Trophy looks way better than the RT.

Having the cruise control on the right grip makes it so that you can ride with one hand when on those long, grueling, boring, miles and miles long stretches of nothing -- can't do that reliably with the cruise on the left. The longer buttons on the 2015+ do help with the initial activation.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 K1600GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:13:21 pm »
I don't really care what the mags/rags think, although it may affect potential buyers.   A test ride tells the story.   I rode RTs since 1996 and they are a fine machine.   I tested both the 14 RT and the TTSE back to back in 2014.   Comparison was very close in my mind but the TTSE was easier to ride, felt lighter, less money and the motor was superior albeit noisier.   Had I chose the RT I would have not been able to take a planned trip to Utah that year because of the rear shock issue, whew, dodged a bullet on that one.   Plus the longer I own the TTSE the better I like it.    Will go back to the RT only if the TTSE disappears from the Triumph line.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:21:53 pm »
Yes.... I saw the article and like everyone else was surprised (Not really) by the result.

On every major point it was better than the RT but they described it as a poor mans RT... what cobblers!

What it is is much better value for money, better engine, better handling, better equipment levels, more fun to ride, better sounding, better looking.... but its not a BMW so it can't be any good
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
I don't really care what the mags/rags think, although it may affect potential buyers.   A test ride tells the story.   I rode RTs since 1996 and they are a fine machine.   I tested both the 14 RT and the TTSE back to back in 2014.   Comparison was very close in my mind but the TTSE was easier to ride, felt lighter, less money and the motor was superior albeit noisier.   Had I chose the RT I would have not been able to take a planned trip to Utah that year because of the rear shock issue, whew, dodged a bullet on that one.   Plus the longer I own the TTSE the better I like it.    Will go back to the RT only if the TTSE disappears from the Triumph line.

+1!
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch