Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Brand new 2015 - Major Engine Heat  (Read 12349 times)

Offline digband

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
Brand new 2015 - Major Engine Heat
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:03:54 am »
Team Trophy,

I drove home my new 2015 phantom black trophy today 84 miles from the dealer. Comfort, handling, performance all amazing.... so it was a somewhat hot day, between 80-85F with mild humidity, but the bike was pumping out major heat from the engine. Let me start by saying that I took a 20 minute test ride about 2 months ago and didn't notice any engine heat at all on the that new 2015, but today if I was going under 45 mph it was almost unbearable, and when I put the windshield up, it was like being trapped in a blow dryer. Sorry for being explicit, but my ass was sweating after 1/2 hour on the bike from all the heat coming up, even though the ambient outside temp was dropping in the country roads and it started to cool down to high 70's.

Is this engine heat normal? I've been researching a new bike for so long, and to finally pull the trigger on the trophy and have this situation is making me really distressed, and I'm thinking that I can't deal with this for the life of my next bike, which I want to keep for many years. I will test the bike out at other times of day and the dealer asked me to monitor the engine temp, but what a huge disappointment driving my new bike home and having this level of discomfort kill my excitement.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do and if any of you have experienced this, or if it's just normal and I'll need to just get used to it. I searched this forum for issues like this but didn't read anything about excessive engine heat. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Brand new 2015 - Major Engine Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:55:24 am »
Other Owners have mentioned that there does seem to be a fair amount of heat from the engine,
but you could check that the deflector pads inside the Fairing Panels have not been displaced
if the Dealer has had the Fairing off to ft any accessories, or maybe they were not installed correctly
when the bike was assembled - so you could ask your Dealer to check that for you,
or pull the Fairings off and check for yourself ?

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:37:25 pm by Coconut »

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:17:04 am »
Many things contribute to the rider being overheated from heat coming off the engine. When I had my Moto Guzzi Norge, I remember many other owners complained about the heat coming off the engine frying their legs, but I never found the heat at all uncomfortable, and I live in the Phoenix area. When I ride I don't have my legs tucked against the gas tank panels which allows cooler air to floe around my legs. I also don't wear tight pants when I ride which helps keep the heat off my legs. So far I haven't been bothered at all by any heat while riding the Trophy, and I still live in the Phoenix area.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:00 am »
if this is a new bike and it sounds like it is new. The motor needs a few hundred/thousand miles to break in.
It has been said before that the weather protection is VERY GOOD.
Maybe it is too good for you?
I know a couple of guys have different wind screens for summer and winter.

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:26 am »
I bought mine new back in April.
It is warm, but nothing more than normal. My FJR was a lot hotter, but that is because the aluminium frame rails that support the engine, are in contact with your legs.
That isn't the case on the trophy.
The only warmth I have felt which was mildly uncomfortable, was on a REALLY hot day when riding through town. Putting the screen down as low as it would go cured that.
As has been mentioned, the foam baffles inside the fairing really do make a difference. Are they in place?
Cheers
Nick
History (some of it shameful...)
KE100, RD350, RD250, RD350, RG250, KR1S, RG500, CB400A, CB750, CBR1000, Hayabusa, FJR1300, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline digband

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:06 am »
Thanks for your replies. I'll have to look for a pic of the baffles or bust out the manual to check. They did have to work on the bike so this is possible. I'll have to check another new 2015 again for the amount of heat though to be sure. Anyone else?

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »
Perhaps some engine heat is a trade-off for all of the weather protection. That said I only find heat to be a minor issue when the temperature is 90°F (32°C) or higher and I'm in full gear on a long ride. It is not unbearable then, just a bit warmer than I'd like. I'm thankful that we don't have many days when it's that hot here in beautiful Wayne County.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline N3zat

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: SE Pa.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »
 Most people walk out of air condition to summer heat .  :191: :191: :191:
N3ZAT