Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 27,000 miles?  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Englishjohn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
  • City / Town: St.Albans
27,000 miles?
« on: July 03, 2016, 08:57:51 am »
Hello all. I've just introduced myself in the newcomers section, so I'll launch straight into my question.
My current ride is a Tiger 800xc which I acquired after the disappointing experience of owning a Moto Guzzi. (Don't ask!)
I am due to ride from the UK to Croatia in September (and back) and, although the Tiger would do it, I'm not sure I'd survive 2,800 miles on it as I'm in my sixties! So I'm seriously looking at used Trophys. I used to own the original Trophy 1200. It was an excellent mile eater, but very top heavy and a bit thirsty when used at higher speeds on a long run. I get the impression that the new Trophy is much better in every respect.
My local dealer has a 27,000 miler at a price I might be able to afford. Should I be concerned about the mileage? I'm not so concerned about the engine as modern motors should go round the clock if they are serviced regularly. I was thinking more about suspension, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, clutch etc. I'm an engineer and usually do all my own servicing, but am feeling less enthusiastic about working on motorcycles these days as my body wears out. I'd rather be riding, preferably in some degree of comfort.
Anyway, even though I haven't ridden one, I'm pretty sure a Trophy is what I want. I've been hankering for a touring bike for a while now, so I'll keep looking at used Trophys until I find 'the one'.
Thank you for reading this.

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: hornchurch
Re: 27,000 miles?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:54 am »
whats he asking for it ?
assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

Offline Englishjohn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
Hello greenduck. Thanks for your quick response.
It's a 2013 se model, 27,950 miles. £7695 (reduced by £900, they say).

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 09:26:33 am »
I just looked at the Ad on their web site, and noted that they originally sold the bike from new,
so will know it's full service history, and it should have had any relevant recalls and updates completed.

It's got the Triumph Top Box fitted which would set you back £555 at RRP + Fitting if you bought new !

Check to see if it has Heated Grips ( they ALL have the Switch but the actual Grips are an option ),
and Heated Seats - I can't tell from the Photo's whether that's the switch or blanking plate for the switch ).

As for the condition of parts due to mileage that's a tough one to answer.

The Trophy model is still relatively young, and there aren't that many "High Mileage" ones around,
( not that 28,000 miles in 3 years is exactly High Mileage ! ), but I don't recall seeing anything
on the Forum that I could warn you about in this respect.

Buying from a Triumph Dealer means you should get some Warranty - I think it's 3 months,
maybe 6 months, but during that time you may well be able to pick up on anything that may need attention.

... and the Dealer will be open in an Hour and Half, so why not grab your helmet
and see if you can take it out for a Test Ride, and then ask about alll of the above ?
( Take your Credit Card or cheque book for the Depost !  :152: )

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 01:47:01 pm by Coconut »

Offline Englishjohn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:30:13 am »
I will if I get time today coconut.  :152:

Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Léger Magnazeix
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:15:55 pm »
If the miles to Croatia and back are a concern have you considered putting the bike on the train at Dusseldorf for an overnight trip on the sleeper down to Verona?

http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#Auto_Express_Italia

We did it (to Vienna) last year. Timing might be a problem as the Verona service is a summer one and ends in mid September, and is only once a week (Vienna was a daily service).

Just a thought.

You'll love Croatia. If you reach the far South (Dubrovnik) I would recommend a day trip to Kotor in Montenegro. Absolutely fantastic ride round the bay/fjord and there is a road from Kotor going up the mountain behind it which is one of the best routes for hairpins I know. Trophy coped admirably 2 up going up and back down. Views from the top are breathtaking. Montenegro is not in the EU so you need your registration documents at the border.
Brian

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 01:01:40 pm »
 :400:

Welcome to the forum.

I've got a 2013 TTSE on which I've put 22,500 miles. I've had no significant issues.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Englishjohn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »
Thank for your reply Brian
I have considered the train option, but the whole point of riding there - is riding there!  :002:
I'm going to a wedding on the island of Hvar. My wife can't go, so I'm going on my own. Having been to Croatia twice before, in the old Yugoslavia days, and not finding the flying experience much fun these days, I thought the ride down the Adriatic coast road  would be worth the trip. I did Dubrovnik, Mostar and Kotor in 1975, and Korcula in 1979, but never on a motorcycle. I intend to ride to Drvenik, bypassing Split, and then get the ferry across to Hvar.
I plan to spend no longer than two weeks riding there and back, with the wedding in the middle, and I want to visit some places of interest on the way. I just need to settle upon the right bike, for me, for the trip. The Trophy looks like it would fit the bill.

tweedy-bunch