Lunch anyone in and around Texas. by Saddle Tramp
[Today at 01:45:39 am]

WHY DO YOU RIDE? by trophied
[Today at 01:20:29 am]

'I' button not functioning by digital
[Yesterday at 09:50:18 pm]

Oil Filter trouble by digital
[Yesterday at 09:11:03 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Got another bike, so my '14 Trophy SE is for sale  (Read 3542 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Got another bike, so my '14 Trophy SE is for sale
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:57:46 am »
I already posted the particulars on the FS forum, but thought I'd go into more details on my new bike over here.

I wanted a retro bike for my stable, and was seriously considering the new Bonneville T120, but decided in favor of a new leftover 2014 Honda CB1100.  The much lower price is what tipped the scales toward the Honda, so needless to say, I got a GREAT DEAL!

I've owned many other Hondas over the years including several memorable forerunners of the "CB" series.  1967 CB77 "305" Super Hawk, 1971 CB750, 1975 CB200, 1976 CB550 Four, 1979 CBX, 1992 CB750 Night Hawk, and 1997 Super Blackbird XX.   The latter was the last of the carburetor bikesl  All were mighty fine "CB" series bikes, but for about the last 20+ years I have been totally Honda-less.

The first modern retro bike I got was just late last year, a 2015 Triumph Bonneville T120, which I dearly love!  I have made it my own, but still virtually stock and is by far the best looking motorcycle I have ever owned.

Recently, another retro bike wound up in my garage, a 2014 Honda CB1100.  This bike is very reminiscent of the CB750  I had 45 years ago, only better . . . MUCH BETTER!

The CB1100 was introduced as 2013 model, upgraded to a six speed in 2014, but is no longer available in the U.S.  They were first available 2010 in Japan, NZ and Australia, then Europe, the U.S. and Canada.  Sales were way off the mark, so the bike was discontinued here after the 2014 MY, but excess inventory still exists at many U.S. dealers.

The CB1100 is a very smooth running motorcycle.  As far as I'm concerned, the six speed transmission makes it a world class UJM.   It's nearly as comfortable as my Trophy and much easier to ride.   The venerable inline four with DOHC and four valves per cylinder, is a marvel of modern engineering and one of the last to be air cooled.  It has a 9.5:1 CR and red line of 8500.  The torque band has been optimized in the low to mid range with a peak at 68.6 ft-lbs at 5000 rpm.  Peak HP is 88.5 at 7500 rpm.  It cruises at 75mph in 6th at a gas sipping 3000 rpm.  During the break-in period, I've been getting almost 50 mpg as a 260 lbs rider.  Fuel metering has been updated to Honda's electronic FI-PGM.  The tank hold 3.9 gallons, and wet weight of the bike is 540 lbs.  It comes with a center stand, so I can do my own  maintenance such as lubricating the chain.  The oil filter is mounted to the visible lower front of the engine making it a snap to change the oil.

The bike has dual discs up front, single disc rear, and pre-load adjustable suspension front and rear.  ABS is an option that my bike does not have.  The clutch is hydraulically operated and very easy to disengage.

As far as the appearance, this bike is beautiful in an all black motif, but a picture is worth a thousand words . . .

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:12:49 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Got another bike, so my '14 Trophy SE is for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:12:18 pm »
Congratulations on the new CB1100. It looks like a fun urban around town kind of bike, probably just as fun out on rural kind of rides too. I too years ago had a CB750, I can only imagine how much better the modern retro 1100 version is.

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:46:54 pm »
Thanks!  It is a FUN bike and super SMOOTH! 

Here's another pic of it beside my Triumph Bonneville T100, my other retro bike, so now I have the best of both worlds to ride.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:49:28 pm by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:41:33 pm »
*Originally Posted by dsinned [+]
Thanks!  It is a FUN bike and super SMOOTH! 

Here's another pic of it beside my Triumph Bonneville T100, my other retro bike, so now I have the best of both worlds to ride.

That CB1100 is a very tempting bike ... while my wife and I were in a shop buying some boots, I saw that they had a new leftover 2014 CB1100 in dark red for $7,990.

Even though I need another bike like I need a hole in my head, I was sitting on it and squeezing levers and fiddling with knobs like a kid.   It looks and sits like a great rider.

Only thing it doesn't do is ride two of us comfortably - that's what the Trophy SE does.   And since MOST of our riding is two-up these days, the CB1100 probably wouldn't get much ride time.

But if it were just me, I've have one in a minute.

Lannis

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:05:39 pm »
Considering Honda's MSRP was $10,399 for the 2014 standard model (and $11,899 for the Deluxe), dealer prices NOW for a "leftover" are generally bottoming out.   Although, the more expensive Deluxe (with ABS, dual exhausts, and fancier seat) model is extremely rare.  It is my understanding that only 400 were ever imported to the U.S.   New ones still in inventory at dealers are very few and far between.  However, Deluxe models with low mileage are now beginning to pop on Ebay and Craig's List.  The CB1100 forum is a good resource for shopping around. 

I only paid $7500 (plus dealer fees, tax and license) for mine brand new at the end of May this year from a Honda dealer 50 miles away.   They had four brand new six speeds, black 2014 Standards (non-ABS) in stock, all leftovers.   For whatever reason this bike has not sold well in the U.S. and discontinued after only two years.   Nationwide there must be hundreds still in dealer stock, all Standard models, only available in black.  On the CB1100 forum, I've heard of some being sold (brand new) for less than $7000!  For such a sweet motorcycle, in the form of a retro, but thoroughly modernized UJM, that's an incredible deal!

I only use mine for around town and under 100 mile weekend solo riding, so it is really enjoyable for my retirement  lifestyle.  However, it can be used for two up touring as well, but of course, not nearly as comfortably as my '14 TTSE. 

Here's a nicely done video that attests to the obvious virtues of this bike compared to another modern classic, the Triumph Bonneville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW9HqOywefo

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:27:29 pm by dsinned »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:58:21 pm »
I thought I wanted a cb1100 to turn into a cafe.  The test ride proved that it not only had 1970s looks, but also 1970s ride.

I ended up buying the Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic for a lot less money.

The bike I would love to add to my stable when the craze is over is a Ducati Scrambler .  It is a nice ride.  I just wasn't willing to pay the OTD dealers are asking.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
I thought I wanted a cb1100 to turn into a cafe.  The test ride proved that it not only had 1970s looks, but also 1970s ride.

Hmm, that is not the case at all. It's definitely no sport bike, but it handles a ton better than any 1970's bike. If you only test rode it, it's likely the preload was set wrong and/or the tire pressures were messed up. The bike is very sensitive to both. It can do 100+mph sweepers without a problem when set correctly.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
Nice choice, I have one also. I bought mine when they first came out, in April 2013 at full sticker (yuck). Of course, I paid that opportunity cost of having been able to ride the bike for the past three-plus years. :-)
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch