Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Zumo 390lm  (Read 6005 times)

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Zumo 390lm
    on: Jul 14, 2016, 09.29 pm
    Jul 14, 2016, 09.29 pm
    I have the Zumo 390lm that was purchased with the new bike. I read where the Zumo 390 can give live traffic updates but that a 'receiver' is needed. It appears the 'receiver' is actually a cable that plugs into the USB port on the back of the 390 and the other end into a 12V cigarette port.

Anyone here using this cable on their 390lm for traffic updates? I'll start there and then if I do find someone is using it I have a couple of questions regarding the cable and install.

Thanks!

Mike

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Re: Zumo 390lm
    Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04.01 am
    Jul 15, 2016, 04.01 am
    I have a Garmin Nuvi that uses the same system. The antenna is built into the power cord. Traffic is "OK" as in it is not perfectly accurate. I think that Waze via a smartphone might be better.
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2016, 06.02 am
    Jul 15, 2016, 06.02 am
    That's what I was after. Thank you for the info!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4985

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2016, 03.00 pm
    Jul 15, 2016, 03.00 pm
    My wife uses Waze on her phone while I drive and relays info to me about traffic issues.  Very helpful.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2016, 03.58 pm
    Jul 15, 2016, 03.58 pm
    Thanks Trophied!

What I'd really like to know is how many use dedicated GPS vs phone! I know it can be found as a general debate online but I would love to know from TTSE owners/riders...phone or dedicated GPS?

If I were to start I would say, at this point in time with phone technology as it is, that phone would be best. I have the Zumo but "why"? I have my phone with me all the time and when I get off the bike it is natural for me to take the phone with me. Plus, it's what I'm used to from my C14 days soooo long ago :015:.

Is Google Maps and a phone good enough, or even the apps "HERE" or the "TomTom Go"...are they sufficient to cover all our (us as riders) navigational needs?

I tried phone not long ago but only for a moment (short ride). I do have satellite radio and if I use phone nav I can't listen to satellite radio so I guess if I were to dedicate the phone and eliminate Zumo I would lose satellite radio...probably not a big deal! I can say that I traveled some local roads not long ago and my Zumo didn't recognize the roads :187:! How, how can it NOT recognize roads that have been there for as long as the city of Ventura has been there! The road is literally as old as the city! My phone GPS had it pegged and knew exactly where I was! So why do I have a $300+ dedicated GPS unit that doesn't recognize all the areas my phone recognizes...kinda regretted the GPS purchase from the beginning but have been trying hard to accept it.

Map updates are much better on phones for sure!

Speaking of NAV apps...what's best in your opinion? The 'goto' seems to be Google Maps but I have read where there are some others that are good too. I don't have experience with anything other than Google Maps so hearing it from those of you that use other apps would be great!

I would love to hear from those that use the phone only and how you have it connected (phone to helmet, phone to bike...how?). I have the SENA SMH10 so I am curious as to how people are doing it to get the most out of the phone, comms on the helmet, and the bike's system (if that makes sense)...how are you connecting everything? Are you using the 3.5 audio jack with the phone (audio jack for the dedicated GPS on the bike)?

If I do decide to go 'phone only' I would add the RAM mount to my GPS mount on the dash. I would then like to run a micro USB cord up and through the dash so it comes out from under the GPS mount as well as the audio cable. Does this mean I have to remove plastic to get the cables routed this way?

A lot of you have been doing this longer than I have so would love to hear what your thoughts are and how you do it.

Thanks!

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04.07 pm
    Jul 15, 2016, 04.07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mike2411 [+]
    I have the Zumo 390lm that was purchased with the new bike. I read where the Zumo 390 can give live traffic updates but that a 'receiver' is needed. It appears the 'receiver' is actually a cable that plugs into the USB port on the back of the 390 and the other end into a 12V cigarette port.

Anyone here using this cable on their 390lm for traffic updates? I'll start there and then if I do find someone is using it I have a couple of questions regarding the cable and install.

Thanks!

Mike

From what I understand, the 390/590 don't use the same system the older Garmin's use (I have a 590 and a Nuvi). The 390/590/395/595 link to a Garmin app on your phone to display traffic data on the map -- there's no separate cable. The Nuvi, as well as the older 660 use the cable with the antenna. The traffic data is read from XM's satellite service, and the 390/590 series of GPS don't have XM radios.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04.17 pm
    Jul 15, 2016, 04.17 pm
    Thanks Bob. I read the manual for the 390 (yes, actually read it!) and it mentions having to purchase the cable for traffic.

I was also informed that the traffic function of the Garmin is not the best.

Right now I am trying to determining the benefits of using dedicated GPS or putting it in the drawer and using phone!

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Oakville
    Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2016, 04.31 pm
    Jul 15, 2016, 04.31 pm
    For point to point directions the phone is great.  You can hook it up to the bikes bluetooth and hear the spoken instructions from google navigate (part of google maps).  I use my Garmin and Base camp to create routes for group rides (about 50 a year) for my friends and I to enjoy.  While this is sort of readable by the phone and google maps you really need another app to do it better (one of the guys I ride with uses Osmand to follow the routes.  There are also some other points to consider.  The garmin zumo is glove friendly, waterproof and has an excellent cradle that totally integrates with this bike.  For your phone you will need a waterproof case.  An outside power souece (the phone wont last more that a couple of hours when operating as a gps) if you are using it for more than basic point to point navigation and is not glove friendly (you can get gloves with special materials that allow for touchscreen operation but them you limit your choices in gloves).  For me it is totally impractical as most of our rides are prerouted to ride on specific roads and last 8 to 12 hours (including breaks) and cover 500 to 800km / 300 to 500 miles.

In summary it depends on your needs and wants.  A phone giving directions through bluetooth while plugged safely into the glovebox is not a bad choice for point to point.  Anything more exotic will really be best served by a dedicated device.

All of this is IMHO