Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Crash protection - are the R&G bars the only option?  (Read 4222 times)

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133
    • Topic Author

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Crash protection - are the R&G bars the only option?
    on: Jul 18, 2016, 12.05 pm
    Jul 18, 2016, 12.05 pm
    I'm looking at fitting some crash protection to my newly acquired Trophy SE, more to protect against static drops than any expectation that they would do much in a more serious accident. 

I don't seem to be able to find any alternative to the R&G bars, so I'm guessing these are the only game in town, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Re: Crash protection - are the R&G bars the only option?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2016, 03.43 pm
    Jul 18, 2016, 03.43 pm
    *Originally Posted by fred_jb [+]
    I'm looking at fitting some crash protection to my newly acquired Trophy SE, more to protect against static drops than any expectation that they would do much in a more serious accident. 

I don't seem to be able to find any alternative to the R&G bars, so I'm guessing these are the only game in town, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

Fred

They're all I've ever found. If you can wait, you should be able to pick them up from Pure Triumph on discount (sign up for their newsletter, become a member, and wait for a 20% off coupon -- you'll get 30% off in total -- I did this during black Friday sales last year).

I can attest to the fact they protect your plastics in a static tip-over (the pannier will still get scratched, however, but it's only $70 to fix).
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06.38 pm
    Jul 18, 2016, 06.38 pm
    It's been a while since I last looked for Crash protection so I don't really know what is on the market at this time.  However, I fitted the R&G which I find to be pretty good.  The only thing I would say is we probably shouldn't call them "crash protection".   A more accurate term would be "drop Protection".   I lost my footing when stationary at a fuel stop and my foot slipped on previous spilt diesel, Bike went over on to its right side.  a passing motorist helped me right the bike and we both looked for damage.   The R&G bars lost an inch of paint but the bike came away without a scratch.   R&G sent me a sheet of decals which I stuck over the scratch on the bar and you would never be any the wiser.   :028: :047:

I don't think the bars would stand up to any drop at 30 mph or faster.  I could be wrong but I ain't going to test this theory. 

Phil R

ps dead easy to fit as well.

• Offline Mustangpilot   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    148

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT
    • City / Town: DH
    Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07.48 pm
    Jul 18, 2016, 07.48 pm
    The R&G crash bars are proven excellent "DROP" protection and not really for any crash at speed.
    But they really saved my day when I dropped the TT in Germany last year. Only scratches on the bar and pannier.
    2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
    2016 Bonneville T120 Black

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133
    • Topic Author

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2016, 10.50 pm
    Jul 18, 2016, 10.50 pm
    Thanks for the responses - I was only really looking for static drop protection, so looks like R&G it is, though probably about twice the price they would be if there was any competition!

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2016, 01.12 am
    Jul 19, 2016, 01.12 am
    I wouldn't bet on that, there are several different ones available for the K1600 and they are all pretty close to the same price - expensive, but then everything for a beemer is. They don't offer any better protection for the K than the R&G product does for the Trophy.  I think protection bars tend to be priced by the manufacturers by how many dollars of bodywork they protect rather than the material and time to build them.  There is considerable R&D and jig fixture cost involved to begin with I'm certain.  Can't deny them the opportunity to recoup investment and make a profit or we wouldn't have anything!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10005

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10.20 am
    Jul 19, 2016, 10.20 am
    I don't think the bars would stand up to any drop at 30 mph or faster. 
    I could be wrong but I ain't going to test this theory.
    I tested that theory !  :138:

I am convinced that without them I would have suffered a serious injury to my right leg,
    as I slid along at 50MPH with the Trophy on it's side.

The R & G bars held the weight of the Trophy off my leg,
    and I walked away without a scratch - best money I ever spent !

( OK so the Trophy was a technical "Cat D" write off,
    but the bars were straightened out and repainted ! )

Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021, 05.15 pm by Coconut

• Offline jofo

• Trophy Member  ‐    57

Offline jofo

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: TTSE Blue
    • City / Town: Paris
    Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10.55 am
    Jul 19, 2016, 10.55 am
    *Originally Posted by Phil [+]
    The only thing I would say is we probably shouldn't call them "crash protection".   A more accurate term would be "drop Protection".

Hi Phil.

I just can say it saved my right foot (in Paris), hit by a car on a roundabout.

The crash-bar did the job and absorbed most of the impact, the right pannier as well and my foot just a bit (I'm still recovering after two month).

It also preserved the TTSE as much as possible (only a 3.000 bill with 75% covered by my insurance, which could have been worse).

So I definitely can say: RG crash bars are good in what they are built for : crash and drops... (I also dropped the Lady a couple of time on each side).

Jofo

Before I owned a BMW... But that was before...