Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Radio wont tune in anything except XM. Nav and USB still work  (Read 7667 times)

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Oakville
    Radio wont tune in anything except XM. Nav and USB still work
    on: Jul 19, 2016, 11.16 pm
    Jul 19, 2016, 11.16 pm
    So two weekends ago I was riding along through a massive rain storm and after about 2 hours the radio started to malfunction.  Thought maybe a little water had found its way into the radio.  Well it didn't self correct in 2 weeks so I took it apart.  The radio is not the easiest thing to get to.  In fact I dont think there is much else more difficult.  I tested with a new antenna and that was not it.  I noticed I could scan/tune am but was getting no reception.  Weather radio was soundless and could not get it to change channel.  On FM the radio sat there for 30 seconds and just restarted the system.  At that point the power to the GPS is shut off and all is done until it reloads and brings up something other than FM.

I took the bike apart and looked in the undertray where the radio sits and there was not a single indication that there was any water or dirt in there.  Pulled the radio out and it is as clean as a whistle.

Took a chance and called Radio Sound the manufacturer.  They asked all about the problem and decided it would need to visit their repair department.  I told them it was a Triumph and they asked for the radio serial number.  The bike VIN.  And the radio model.  Then they told me they could give me an RA (return authorization) number and they would repair it for a flat fee of $150.00 (US).  If the case and unit looked good and undamaged they would just send me an exchange unit.  If not it could be up to two weeks to repair.  Then they said I would get a 6 month warranty and the return shipping was included in the quoted price.

Not sure if I was dreaming but I will send it in for repair and see what happens.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Radio wont tune in anything except XM. Nav and USB still work
    Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2016, 11.52 pm
    Jul 19, 2016, 11.52 pm
    It would be nice if you could get the manufacturer to give you the results of what they found to be the problem, if they find one.  May not be likely, but you could ask since there are a lot of us out there that could have the same issue come up out of warranty, and if it IS somehow operator error we might like to know how to avoid it.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2016, 01.43 am
    Jul 20, 2016, 01.43 am
    I agree.  I will tell you though that the chance of operator error is slim.  I just pressed the m and it worked on xm, usb and nav.  No sound at all from am or wb.  Could scan am but no stations.  wb would not change channels.  FM couldn't change station or scan or anything.  It froze then restarted.  Possibly a software reload might fix it but I don't have the software to reload it and I suspect that since it is the most current software it would just ignore a load.

My troubleshooting included all of the following.  Removed the fuse for 10 minutes.  Unplugged the unit and let it sit for 10 minutes.  Bought an aftermarket replacement antenna with new wire and plug.  Checked through setup menu to make sure it was on North America.  Checked the software version.

Since the unit was still functioning on usb, xm and nav I was also able to check that all the standard audio options were working.  Volume, treble, bass, midrange and avc.  So there was nothing really left to do other than see if the manufacturer would actually repair it rather than going through Triumph or a dealer.  I think it might be a success.  I will update as I learn more.

It is a little odd that the restarting happened while riding during a rainstorm.  I was about 2 hours into torrential rain.  The radio is American.  The box it resides in appears to have stayed watertight.  But it is an electrical problem and unfortunately (I am British born but moved to Canada when 9) that's very British.

Still a great bike though.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10194

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2016, 05.57 am
    Jul 20, 2016, 05.57 am
    I cannot recall a single time where another Member has reported this problem,
    so hopefully, whatever the problem is, it is a "one-off".

Riding in heavy rain when the fault started might just be co-incidental :084:

It does sound like some sort of internal electronic failure.

If it's repairable it will be ineresting to hear what the actual fault was.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10.54 am by Coconut

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2016, 11.38 am
    Jul 20, 2016, 11.38 am
    I would be surprised if they repair it. If they have  any spares in stock, they most likely will just ship out another radio module.

-Don-  SSF, CA

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2016, 02.48 am
    Jul 21, 2016, 02.48 am
    It is shipped.  It will return when it gets here.  Has to cross into the states and get back all the time it will have to go through 2 different customs agencies.  Could be fun.

Coconut...... I was firmly tongue in cheek with the rain comment.  I agree it is just coincidental.  It is humourous though.  Specially since nothing actually got wet.  When you own anything that is more complicated than a stick I find a good sense of humour is a real asset.

I now have to wire up the power to my gps differently.  The built in one is through the audio unit.  That is actually how I knew something was wrong.  The gps kept telling me "power lost".  Ill update on the power change soon.  Think I have a good option in mind.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10194

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2016, 07.36 pm
    Jul 21, 2016, 07.36 pm
    I'm pleased to hear that when you emigrated to Canada
    they allowed you to take your British sense of humour with you :038:

.... but seriously, it is often easy to jump to an incorrect conclusion such as,
    "It's never done this before, and I've never ridden in torrential rain before
    so that MUST be the reason", when the fault could just be
    one of those things that happen(ed) whatever the weather !

Hope they manage to fix it and get it back to you without too much delay  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10.54 am by Coconut

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121
    • Topic Author

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2016, 07.53 pm
    Jul 21, 2016, 07.53 pm
    I have successfully wired the gps to a lighter plug in that I put in the glove box.  I removed and taped off the USB connector so I could pass the wire through without modding the box.  Since it only works when the motor is running it is essentially the same functionality.  I did also have to unplug the audio out cable to get the speaker to work.  20 minutes to rewire. I just dreat the 3 hour reinstall of the audio system.  It truly is buried inside the bike.

More updates as the occur.  The unit is still in transit so nothing good or bad to report other than I got my gps back working.