Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Cam phase timing adjustment  (Read 9306 times)

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726
    • Topic Author

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Cam phase timing adjustment
    on: Jul 24, 2016, 03.07 pm
    Jul 24, 2016, 03.07 pm
    The cam phase timing adjustment is called out to be performed at the 20k service only. However, you may want to check the cam phase timing at each valve adjustment service, and if off, perform the adjustment procedure.

Do NOT perform this adjustment without a service manual and the special Triumph tools called out in the service manual. Do so at your own risk. You can damage your valves, pistons and who knows what else if you are not competent and careful!!

I am not including photos because there are excellent photos in the service manual (that you should have). Instead, I will just add some tips/clarification to the service manual procedure.

1) If the cam phase timing is off and needs to be adjusted you will need to check the valve clearances after doing so!

2) You must find TDC exactly by rotating the engine, clockwise, at the crankshaft nut with a 24mm socket, until you can insert the crankshaft locking pin. You can tell when you are close to TDC by looking at the #3 cylinder exhaust cam lobes. They will be pointing up, away from the valve buckets.

3) If the cam chain sprocket alignment marks are not pointing at each other when the engine is locked at TDC, then a cam phase adjustment is called for

4) At this point, remove the crankshaft locking pin as you will be rotating the engine

5) Loosen the cam chain sprocket retaining bolts per the service manual. You will need to rotate the engine slightly to get at all of the bolts. Note the caution in the service manual about over rotating the engine! Once the bolts are no longer tight, the cam shaft will rotate to the end of the slot in the cam chain sprocket. You do not need to loosen very much, just enough so the cam can move in the slot. This is the risky part because you could cause the valves to contact the pistons if you are not careful. The problem is that you need to lock down the cams to loosen the cam sprocket bolts.

6) At this point do not rotate the engine further!

7) Remove the cam ladder and the cam chain tensioner so that you can now remove the cam chain from the cam sprockets. Do not be concerned about the cam to chain interface to even the cam to engine timing at this point. It will all be OK in the end.

8) With the cam shafts removed or at least free to turn without the cam ladder applying pressure, find TDC by rotating the engine clockwise and insert the locking pin in the crankshaft hole. The alignment is quite precise and you will need to get it exact to insert the locking pin. The pin will only go in a small amount, but it will be enough to prevent any movement of the engine. Remember that the cam chain will be off of the sprockets so you need three hands! One hand to hold the chain so it doesn't foul as you turn the crank, one hand to turn the crank, and one hand to check with the locking pin if you are at TDC. (fun!)

9) Follow the service manual procedure to install the alignment timing plate at the rear of the cams to lock them in phase

10)Once the timing plate is in place and the cams are back in place with the cam chain back on the sprockets, the cam ladder can be put back on and torqued per the service manual procedure

11) At this point, you would install the cam chain tensioning tool and apply the proper tension via the torque limiter tool. Complete the service manual procedure, which includes replacing the cam sprocket bolts with new ones (with patch lock), and removing the cam timing plate from the rear of the cam shafts

12) The engine should now be locked at TDC and the alignment marks should be aligned as shown in the service manual. The cams are now in phase. Remove the locking pin from the crankshaft hole.

13) At this point you would perform a normal valve clearance check and adjustment. Yep, that means you may have to remove the cam ladder again!

Last Edit: Jul 24, 2016, 03.12 pm by azgman
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline OhioWinger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    394

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southern Ohio
    Re: Cam phase timing adjustment
    Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2016, 09.52 pm
    Jul 24, 2016, 09.52 pm
    Thanks for the write up! I plan to do this myself when the time comes.

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2016, 06.01 pm
    Jul 31, 2016, 06.01 pm
    Is there some reason why you wouldn't first check the valve clearance prior to doing the cam timing? Which would save the trouble of having to remove the camshaft ladder a second time should any of the valves shims need to be changed.
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline OhioWinger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    394

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southern Ohio
    Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2016, 07.24 pm
    Jul 31, 2016, 07.24 pm
    If the Cam Timing is off,  the vavles clearances would be wrong too.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08.05 pm
    Jul 31, 2016, 08.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by OhioWinger [+]
    Thanks for the write up! I plan to do this myself when the time comes.

Same here. :002:

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2016, 11.53 pm
    Jul 31, 2016, 11.53 pm
    *Originally Posted by OhioWinger [+]
    If the Cam Timing is off,  the vavles clearances would be wrong too.
    How is that?

The valve clearance is determined by how high the cam bucket sits, which is adjusted by the thickness of a shim sitting on the valve. It has nothing to do with timing of the camshaft. When the valve clearance is checked the cam lobes need to be rotated so the lobes face away from the valve being checked. At least that's how the factory manual describes how to check the valve clearance. You could remove the timing chain and still check the valve clearance, then install the chain again. It wouldn't change the valve clearance.
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726
    • Topic Author

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2016, 02.02 am
    Aug 01, 2016, 02.02 am
    So Chris, I have now asked myself this same question. The procedure in the manual seems to be to do the cam phasing and then check the valve clearances, but I agree, I don't know why changing the cam phase would change the clearances. I would try your method for sure!
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2016, 08.16 am
    Aug 01, 2016, 08.16 am
    If one is turning the crank over by hand, to be able to check each valve in turn and only going by TDC markings etc rather than looking at the position of the cam lobes,....maybe that's what they mean???

If the timing/position of the cam lobes were that much out the engine would have run so bad you would have known about it surely? Lol

tweedy-bunch