Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Whirring noise at 4k  (Read 7391 times)

• Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brighton
    Whirring noise at 4k
    on: Jul 28, 2016, 08.22 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 08.22 am
    Hi, Few weeks back traded my America for a used Trophy (14) happy with bike but now I am used to riding it I find when riding (not accelerating) around 4k-5k revs there is an annoying whirring....that is not constant but a whrrr..no whrrr...whrrr...no whrr.....I suck at descriptions, hope it makes sense. Is this a normal noise? Bike has 16K Miles on it.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Whirring noise at 4k
    Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2016, 08.30 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 08.30 am
    It's very difficult to "describe" a noise !

This could be just about anything - start off by removing anything in the Glove box,
    and the undr seat storage box, to see if that is the cause.

Then try removing the Panniers and Top Box ( if fitted ) and check again.

It could be something relatively harmless such as something vibrating against one of the Fairing panels,
    or other parts of the bodywork, or something more serious and mechanical related.

If you can't find it I would suggest going back to the supplying Dealer,
    or another Triumph Dealer if there is one closer to you,
    and let them take it for a ride to see if they can identify the cause  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 11, 2021, 01.44 pm by Coconut

• Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2016, 09.17 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 09.17 am
    Thanks..So guessing its not normal...its definitely mechanical and not a rattle....Think I will get checked at Triumph then before the 2 year warranty expires!   :028: :821:

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2016, 10.06 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 10.06 am
    I get the same thing on the year old TTSE I recently bought.   I would describe it as a thrumming noise which continually rises and falls in intensity with the peaks being about 1/2 a second apart.   It is loud enough to be annoying as when it happens it is audible above the general engine noise.    I have only noticed this in third and fourth gears.  It is worse in third and occurs over a small range of revs centred on about 3500 rpm.   It is a little less intense in fourth and strangely occurs at slightly higher revs, just under 4000 rpm.  I would have expected it to be at lower revs in a higher gear, so this may give some clue as to what is causing it, but I suspect only to someone who intimately understands the workings of bike transmissions which I don't!

The bike is booked in for an annual service next week and I have asked them to look into this - if it has a gearbox or shaft drive problem such as a faulty bearing, I want this fixed while it is still in warranty.

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Jackpotsteve

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2016, 10.48 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 10.48 am
    Excellent, please update what they say/find... I will do likewise when triumph look at mine as it seems a similar noise from what you are saying.   :028:

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2016, 10.55 am
    Jul 28, 2016, 10.55 am
    Yes - will update here,and will be interested to hear what your dealer says too.  Just to clarify, I am pretty sure it is not something on the bodywork vibrating.  The noise seems to be the normal transmission noise changing in character at the points mentioned, rather than a completely new noise.

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2016, 01.57 pm
    Jul 28, 2016, 01.57 pm
    I think what you are hearing is the transmission gear whine. The Trophy uses straight cut gears that while strong, do whine. The other thing you may want to do is change the oil to ensure that you have the right viscosity and rating. Triumph recommends Castrol Power RS 10-40w available via Amazon in a 6 pack. JSNS
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2016, 03.49 pm
    Jul 28, 2016, 03.49 pm
    Since I can't hear what you're hearing, I will guess that you're either hearing the transmission or the cooling fans. The cooling fans make a racket, and their noise directs right up at your face with the way the radiator sits.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100