Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hello from NE Ohio  (Read 2137 times)

Offline mjsti

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sprint ST 955
  • City / Town: NE Ohio
Hello from NE Ohio
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Just a quick intro...

Currently own a 2000 Sprint ST (bought new) and am looking to move on to something more comfortable.  The TT is certainly on my short list of options...along with K1300GT and possible a RT.

I've demoed a RT and wasn't impressed.  Haven't had the opportunity yet to try a KGT nor the TT, but from what I've read thus far I better have the check book ready after a TT demo ride. 

Cheers

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from NE Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjsti [+]
Just a quick intro...

Currently own a 2000 Sprint ST (bought new) and am looking to move on to something more comfortable.  The TT is certainly on my short list of options...along with K1300GT and possible a RT.

I've demoed a RT and wasn't impressed.  Haven't had the opportunity yet to try a KGT nor the TT, but from what I've read thus far I better have the check book ready after a TT demo ride. 

Cheers

Hi &  :400:

Yep get that cheque book out!!! You will not be disappointed.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
I have both a 2001 955ST and a Trophy.  Couldn't bear to part with the ST as it has taken me all over the USA and Canada, even to Alaska.  So I had to keep it.  At the same time I've always wanted a shaft drive and I could possibly own anything other than a Triumph.  So it was a simple decision keep the ST and buy the Trophy.  You should do the same.  Besides, I can't imagine you would get that much for the ST anyway. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
Go, Go, Go, Go :047:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline mjsti

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
I have both a 2001 955ST and a Trophy.  Couldn't bear to part with the ST as it has taken me all over the USA and Canada, even to Alaska.  So I had to keep it.  At the same time I've always wanted a shaft drive and I could possibly own anything other than a Triumph.  So it was a simple decision keep the ST and buy the Trophy.  You should do the same.  Besides, I can't imagine you would get that much for the ST anyway.

Yeah I've come to terms that the ST likely won't fetch much on the used market. Which is a shame because it's a very capable machine for the $$. It's just that my needs have changed and garage space at our house is a premium....so I'm limited to one bike.  :006:

I've been putting off taking a demo ride of the TT because of the likely hood I'll buy it on the spot.....exactly what happened with the ST and probably paid too much. Trying to be more rational this time around.  :164:

Until I get into something like a TT, I'm going to try to make the ST more comfy like peg extensions, bar risers, Tylenol... 

Looking forward to reading up on the threads and learning more about this new TT that's likely to find a new home in my garage.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 02:29:22 AM »
Not to be contradictory but I never needed Tylenol.  As I mentioned I've ridden my ST everywhere.  The longest trip was 11,000 miles to Alaska and back.  I was no more tired than my companions who rode Goldwings.  Maybe a lot more beat up by the weather because of the fairing differential  :008: but I found that properly ridden the ST can be quite comfortable.  And capable.   Fast, great handling.  And with panniers and top box a true tourer.  But it doesn't have the shaft drive and doodads of the Trophy. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:30:21 AM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum !

I don't have any experience with the K bikes, but from what I've read they have their own issues.  Might do some research before looking.  For the money, the Trophy nails it.

Offline mjsti

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:21:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by crazyman [+]
Welcome to the forum !

I don't have any experience with the K bikes, but from what I've read they have their own issues.  Might do some research before looking.  For the money, the Trophy nails it.

I believe you are correct sir, the TT has a lot going for it.

Yeah the newer k1200's had a cam chain tensioner recall, along with a few other bits such as the left switch cluster repeat failures and the repeat electronic fuel strips.

The newer k1300's seem to be more sorted than the 1200's....and more sought after, but they too have a few common issues.

IMHO, it can be expected that ALL bikes will have their own issues to sort out.  I mean things break, wear out, etc. It's when manufacturers continue to install a known faulty part, time after time, that's when it makes you go  :084:

My Sprint has had a few issues, they weren't that big of an issue & once fixed it was a done deal. Well, with exception of the plastic fuel tank cracking, pouring raw fuel down the hot engine.  I'm still a little sore with triumph over that issue. I just hope I don't have a repeat occurrence with the trophy if I get one. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:23:23 AM by mjsti »

tweedy-bunch