Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Lights already...  (Read 5381 times)

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: East Bay, CA
    Lights already...
    on: Aug 08, 2016, 01.49 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 01.49 pm
    Well, I didn't think I'd be posting about problems after owning the bike for 1.5 days, but here I am.  On my way to work this morning at about the 34 mile mark (out of 36) the Traction Control and Engine Management Malfunction lights lit up, the gear indicator went down to 1 (I was in 6), and I felt a bit of a power reduction.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened along the way.  In fact, at the time I had been thinking about how nicely it purred along, and how well it handled.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." ~Unknown

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Re: Lights already...
    Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2016, 03.03 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 03.03 pm
    DO you know if it has had all the upgrades and recalls.  In the early days there was a problem with the ECU as it was susceptible to noise.  The ECU was changed there was talk about the throttle position sensor as well.

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2016, 03.13 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 03.13 pm
    *Originally Posted by john348 [+]
    DO you know if it has had all the upgrades and recalls.

I don't know.  My dealer I got it from another dealer, so my dealer may not even know.  Does Triumph maintain a database of bikes and any recall work that may have been done?  When I bought my Ford Fusion and registered it with Ford, I got a list of the car's service history, including a minor recall that had been taken care of.

Another concern is whether or not I'll be able to get it home after work.
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." ~Unknown

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2016, 03.39 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 03.39 pm
    I have a launch model so an early one and never had a problem although the tps and the ecu got changed years ago.  Yes I think Triumph keeps a list and I think any triumph dealer can get it. 

As I said I never had a problem but if it is interference it should be OK next start.  If it is a 'logged' fault I think you need 3 no fault warm ups to clear the warning light although the error will have gone.  You can use the buttons on the handlebars to check for what faults (if any) have been logged.  I cannot remember the sequence but it is on this forum some where.

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2016, 03.51 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 03.51 pm
    I just read in the manual that when those two lights come on together there's likely an issue with traction control.  Oh joy.  I'm just glad I got a 60-day warranty from the dealer.

I'll try turning TC off for the ride home.
    Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 03.53 pm by Mystical Cat

• Offline Timo

• Trophy Member  ‐    46

Offline Timo

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: '14 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Spokane, WA
    Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2016, 05.53 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 05.53 pm
    Triumph customer service will help you with the record history (verbally, not in print).  I called them 1-2 months ago on a used '13 I was considering before I found my new '14.
    I wanted to know if the head had been worked on or replaced and any other work.  I simply gave them the VIN and he looked up the bike and the documented recalls, etc.
    I actually had a very pleasant experience with Triumph customer service, which was very refreshing to experience.
    The number I called is: 888-283-5288.

I hope your issue is something simple.

Timo

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2016, 06.27 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 06.27 pm
    Another member had similar problems and symptoms, it turned out to be a dirty rear wheel sensor. Heres the link https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,6012.0.html
    Last Edit: Aug 08, 2016, 06.29 pm by Zebraranger

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2016, 06.40 pm
    Aug 08, 2016, 06.40 pm
    I just had an awesome conversation with Triumph.  Looks like all recalls have been taken care of, and I also found out that the factory warranty is good until April of 2018 (huge sigh of relief).  He said he doesn't think there's anything major wrong, and asked what the last thing done to the bike was.  I said it was a new battery, so he said to check the connections because if they're even the slightest bit loose these sorts of errors will crop up.  I'll give that a look later.

tweedy-bunch