Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: I Need Opinions  (Read 4211 times)

• Offline KSquared

• Trophy Member  ‐    57
    • Topic Author

Offline KSquared

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '16 TTSE Pac Blue
    • City / Town: Parkland, FL
    I Need Opinions
    on: Aug 10, 2016, 03.44 am
    Aug 10, 2016, 03.44 am
    Hi.

I'm a very new member here - but I've spent the last week or so doing some research on my quandary.  Now I want to go public and get some input.

First, some personal stuff.  I'm 67 years old; 6'2" - 255# and in reasonably good shape for my age.  I have a couple of knees, however, which don't always like to go along with the program.

I currently ride a Rocket 3 Touring with 40,000+ miles on her.  I LOVE the bike - it speaks loud and clear to me and I like the exclusivity of it; you don't see one on every corner. It needs some updating (LED lights front and back for starters) and a good detailing. It has served me well and I have avoided many of the more common difficulties with that bike.

However, the R3T weighs about 850# wet - quite a load.  When I'm riding - I barely notice the weight.  However, when I'm padding her around a parking lot or making tight U-turns, the bulk is definitely there.  My biggest worry is that during one of these maneuvers, I'm going to drop the bike and with my sometimes balky knees - I'm not going to be able to get her back up.  And yes - I do know the "Back-er-up" technique for raising a dropped bike. Knowing - and having the knees to accomplish the task - especially on gravel or some other such unstable surface - can be two different things.

I have the opportunity to pull the trigger on a 2016 TTSE with 33 miles on the clock for $14,900 at the curb and running - a killer deal from everything I've read.  I've ridden a TTSE, but only for a short distance (under 20 miles).  It fits me well and I like the ride - and it goes about 190# lighter than the R3T.

I've read about some of the bike's shortcomings; the excessive engine heat - the excessive engine noise coming up through the fork and steering head "tunnel" and some of the mechanical problems that I've read about - mostly here.  I'm also concerned about the lack of floorboards for a long trip (which I've rather gotten used to) and the lack of a convenient set of highway pegs (which I've also gotten used to).  I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to find a comfortable saddle with rider's backrest, since the Corbin, Triumph and other saddles (except the Russel Day-Long) all seem to have a fair number of detractors. The panniers on the TTSE don't appear to be nearly as convenient as those on the R3T - even with liners. 

I am seduced by the performance and (espcially) the handling of the TTSE.  I ride for pleasure and pleasure often equals performance in my world.  And I'm here to tell you - the R3T does very well for a bike it's size.

The biggest thing, however, is (for lack of a better term) the "it" factor.  My R3T is a 2009 and I've owned it since new.  I still look back at it before I go back in the house after returning from a ride.  I'm not sure I'll feel the same about the TTSE.

So, there is it.  I'd like to accumulate some opinions about what to do. I'm not looking for flame replies and I'm not look for "No one can make this decision for you - you have to decide for yourself".  Believe me - I'm aware of that - but I am soliciting opinions from those members here who know the TTSE best.

Thanks in advance.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    233

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Re: I Need Opinions
    Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04.02 am
    Aug 10, 2016, 04.02 am
    *Originally Posted by KSquared [+]
    I've read about some of the bike's shortcomings; the excessive engine heat - the excessive engine noise coming up through the fork and steering head "tunnel" and some of the mechanical problems that I've read about - mostly here.  I'm also concerned about the lack of floorboards for a long trip (which I've rather gotten used to) and the lack of a convenient set of highway pegs (which I've also gotten used to).  I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to find a comfortable saddle with rider's backrest, since the Corbin, Triumph and other saddles (except the Russel Day-Long) all seem to have a fair number of detractors. The panniers on the TTSE don't appear to be nearly as convenient as those on the R3T - even with liners. 

As a 2016 TTSE owner I will give you my view on the concerns you mentioned:
    > Excessive Engine Heat:  I can't say that I have noticed this to be an issue.  I have ridden quite a bit in 100+ degree weather and was not uncomfortable.  If I wear shorts, then I certainly feel a blast of heat on my shins but nothing all that bad.
    > Excessive Engine Noise:  No issues here at all.  With my Shoei Qwest helmet I have not noticed any excessive noise.  Sometimes I ride without the helmet around town and I have not noticed the engine sound being annoyingly loud.
    >Mechanical Issues:  None so far, only have 4500 miles though.
    > Floorboards:  I was worried about this too since I had been riding cruisers for the past 20 years.  I have not had any problems though with foot comfort.
    > Highway Pegs: Again, I was concerned about this but I have not had any knee or leg discomfort so far (I am 6'3").
    > Seat: This is the one area I am still working on.  I have long legs and a bony butt so I am still searching for the best seating type for my personal needs.
    > Bags: I can't speak for how these compare to your current bike, but I have found them very easy to use and they hold a goodly amount of stuff (especially the top case).

I wish I had found a TTSE for the price you mentioned, but I was not so lucky.  I have really enjoyed my time on the bike and love the electronics and other features.  Good luck!

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2016, 06.25 am
    Aug 10, 2016, 06.25 am
    Hi there and welcome

Excessive heat- not noticed that at all but then here in the UK not had much chance to ride at the temperatures you describe. Have done the South of France where the temps were approaching 40 deg c and yes at slow speeds I was sweating. But so was everyone.

Excessive noise- not a problem as far as I'm concerned. I have not noticed anything excessive. I have a Shoei Neotec helmet which is excellent and may help.

Seat. I have swapped with a Russel Day long and back rest. First back rest I have ridden with and still not convinced to be honest but the seat pan is amazing!

Highway pegs can be added if you get the R& G drop bars fitted to the bike. The bars will give protection for low speed drops and somewhere to mount pegs and lights if you want them.

Bags. I have no problem with them. Hard cases never come off and I use the liners. Have done 3 weeks round Europe with just the 3 liners and had all I needed with me and still managed to bring some wine home!

Sounds like a great deal to me. Get out there and buy!
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline RocketSteve   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    597

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
    • City / Town: Bideford
    Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2016, 10.13 am
    Aug 10, 2016, 10.13 am
    There are a few here with both bikes, me included and I'd keep both for their individual charms although my R3 is now mothballed long term as a future low mileage original 2004 investment.
    I have to say there's only about 20 kilo's difference between the two bikes but the CoG is down near the axles on the R3 and with a much lower seat height it's less likely that the rider will drop it.
    I've never dropped my R3 but the TTSE has been down on both sides now - both occasions at stand still. :157:
    Would you consider having both bikes?
    To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

• Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
    Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2016, 12.42 pm
    Aug 10, 2016, 12.42 pm
    Hi.

First, some personal stuff.  I'm 67 years old; 6'2" - 255# and in reasonably good shape for my age.  I have a couple of knees, however, which don't always like to go along with the program.

I'm the same size as you, probably less reasonably in shape, and only one knee that is getting dodgy - the other one is OK.

I've read about some of the bike's shortcomings; the excessive engine heat - the excessive engine noise coming up through the fork and steering head "tunnel" and some of the mechanical problems that I've read about - mostly here.  I'm also concerned about the lack of floorboards for a long trip (which I've rather gotten used to) and the lack of a convenient set of highway pegs (which I've also gotten used to).  ...... The panniers on the TTSE don't appear to be nearly as convenient as those on the R3T - even with liners..... 

Thanks in advance.

Opinions -

1) Don't understand at all the complaints from people about "engine heat" - we've ridden two-up all day in 94 degF weather and I've never noticed any excessive or uncomfortable heat off the engine.

2) "Excessive engine noise"?   Even on the rare occasions when I've ridden off without my earplugs, the engine is NOT noisy - it's a watercooled triple down under a wide gas tank, very little sound makes its way up.   And in any case, only someone who doesn't care about their hearing would ride any distance without ear protection.

3) Don't know about any mechanical problems.   If you read the forums on ANY model of bike, you'll find horror stories - you always get the worst side of things that way.

4) Seating position - I really WILL (despite the admonition) have to say that this is almost too personal for anyone else's opinion to be of any use to you.   Having seen people on Rocket IIIs, the Rocket sits lower, feet forward, bars higher than the Trophy.    The Trophy will be completely different, and you won't be able to make it "sit" like a Rocket III.    If you're only comfortable with floorboards and backrests, you're going to struggle to like the Trophy; it's a Sport Touring bike, not a Cruiser.   I just can't ride a Cruiser with floorboards - all my weight on my spine is very uncomfortable - I like having my feet under me so I can stand up on the pegs any time and relieve the pressure on my butt.   I use a Bead Rider over the stock "low" seat, and I can go all day on it.

5) The panniers are the easiest on/off that I've ever seen.   Turn the key, grab the handle and it lifts right into your hand.   My wife and I put all of our "day" stuff (the things we need during a ride) into the top box.    The panniers just come off at the end of the day to the campsite or motel.   I like them WAY better than the Trax panniers on my Guzzi Stelvio or the Cravens on my old BSA.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Lannis

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2016, 12.47 pm
    Aug 10, 2016, 12.47 pm
    I agree with what the others have said. As far as heat, I can tell you this bike doesn't put out any more heat than any other, and less compared to some. Really, my only negative to the TTSE is that the bike is top heavy, more so than any other bike that I've owned. If it starts to go over, once it gets to a certain point, there no stopping it. This top heaviness is mostly due to the large fuel cell and battery being mounted so high up on the frame, along with a couple of other things.

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    759

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2016, 01.03 pm
    Aug 10, 2016, 01.03 pm
    First of all  :400: KSquared; about all I can say is, for me the issue with heat, seat, noise and such are extremely minor.   We would all like to have the perfect bike however the pluses far out weigh any minuses.   The Trophy's riding position is comfortable for me for several hours at a time, although I am only 5'8".   The seat was somewhat of an issue at first but I am okay with that now.   I don't know what kind of riding you do i.e. touring, weekend short rides etc.   But the Trophy excels, in my opinion, at any type of riding especially touring.   I never rode a Rocket but I can imagine that the first thing you will notice is the extremely nimble handling.    Combine that with the wonderful triple motor, great gas mileage, pretty good ergonomics and you have a very fun bike to ride.   And it seems the longer you own it and the more you ride it the better it gets.   I like to say the Trophy has a grin factor built into it.   Don't know if any of this helps I hope it does.

• Offline DaMonk45   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    278

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TEX
    • City / Town: Houston
    Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04.55 pm
    Aug 10, 2016, 04.55 pm
    What kind of riding do you do?
    Days? Weekend? Trips?
    Mile Muncher?