Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Pannier Protection  (Read 8987 times)

• Offline Tiny Tim

• Trophy Member  ‐    79
    • Topic Author

Offline Tiny Tim

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy
    • City / Town: Chepstow
    Pannier Protection
    on: Aug 12, 2016, 04.08 pm
    Aug 12, 2016, 04.08 pm
    Having had the misfortune of tipping my Trophy onto its side once or twice now (don't ask), I'm getting a little sore at having to shell out 50 - 60 ($80 - $100) each time for a respray.

The cost of replacement lids aren't any cheaper so I started to look at alternatives.

Rubber "Bump" strips go some way but are not perfect.

Then I saw a product called Line-X on the Interweb. It's marketed as a pretty "bomb proof" truck bed liner but gets used for all sort of protective uses.

It will cost 120 to do both lids and only comes in Henry Ford Black at the moment.

Has anyone got any thoughts, comments or experience?

Here's a video of some bloke with his head on upside down and his whole bike covered in Line-X
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFI1MKA1SM
    Last Edit: Aug 12, 2016, 04.53 pm by Tiny Tim
    The world is divided into 10 types. Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Regards

Tiny Tim

• Offline speedydeano

• Trophy Member  ‐    46

Offline speedydeano

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: trophy
    • City / Town: gloucester
    Re: Pannier Protection
    Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2016, 05.10 pm
    Aug 12, 2016, 05.10 pm
    hi mate
    what i did with mine was go to Halfords and buy a set of rubber bumper guards about 15 then put them on the main part of the panniers that hit the floor done this to mine (don't buy the tacky ones )

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2016, 07.01 pm
    Aug 12, 2016, 07.01 pm
    I've had several trucks with it sprayed in the bed and over the top rails and it's almost impossible to damage the LineX or the surface it's sprayed on.  I can tell you from experience that a hammer won't dent a tailgate or put a mark on the LineX.  I had it sprayed on my luggage on the R1200RT I had for the very same reason you want it on your Trophy.  It is very tough, and prevents damage to the item it's applied to.  You can tape off a shape outline for the applicator and it doesn't even have to cover the whole thing, just the vulnerable area.  It will ad some weight, and the only way to remove it is to burn it off if you ever want it gone.  It will work like a charm for it's intended purpose, and applied only where needed doesn't even look bad on motorcycle luggage. :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    284

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2016, 04.49 pm
    Aug 14, 2016, 04.49 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    I've had several trucks with it sprayed in the bed and over the top rails and it's almost impossible to damage the LineX or the surface it's sprayed on.  I can tell you from experience that a hammer won't dent a tailgate or put a mark on the LineX.  I had it sprayed on my luggage on the R1200RT I had for the very same reason you want it on your Trophy.  It is very tough, and prevents damage to the item it's applied to.  You can tape off a shape outline for the applicator and it doesn't even have to cover the whole thing, just the vulnerable area.  It will ad some weight, and the only way to remove it is to burn it off if you ever want it gone.  It will work like a charm for it's intended purpose, and applied only where needed doesn't even look bad on motorcycle luggage. :028:

I agree with trophied on applying it strategically.  I applied LineX to the impact zone in a swoosh like pattern. Looks pretty good. 

Magically, I haven't dropped the bike since.  So, I can't tell you how it will perform when it happens again, which I am sure it will.  (Gravity sucks...)

• Offline Zebraranger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    430

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
    Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2016, 08.42 pm
    Aug 14, 2016, 08.42 pm
    I applied LineX to the impact zone in a swoosh like pattern. Looks pretty good.
    Do you have any photos to share, love to see it.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2016, 04.11 am
    Aug 15, 2016, 04.11 am
    See this picture of my R1200RT with LineX on the side cases from a few years ago.
    Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 04.14 am by trophied

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2016, 06.59 pm
    Aug 15, 2016, 06.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tiny Tim [+]
    It will cost 120 to do both lids and only comes in Henry Ford Black at the moment.

Perhaps it's only in the U.S., but Line-X can be applied in any color one imagines. I have been researching it to get it applied to my new (to me) pickup truck bed, although I will want black for my truck.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2016, 11.28 pm
    Aug 15, 2016, 11.28 pm
    Some time ago I thought about LineX in a color for a truck bed and after a little internet research (after all, if it's on the internet it has to be true), I found that some of the colors are prone to fading over time.  I just always got black after that, and I've never even seen any color in the wild, and there are a LOT of spray in bed liners in the Hill Country.

tweedy-bunch