Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Final Drive aluminum spline failure  (Read 5544 times)

• Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Seattle
    Final Drive aluminum spline failure
    on: Aug 19, 2016, 08.50 am
    Aug 19, 2016, 08.50 am
    I just had exactly the same final drive failure as posted by KPSM on Aug 21, 2015. My bike is a 2014, as is his.  This failure is external to the actual case and has nothing to do with checking or changing the oil inside.  The main rear axle is steel and has a large spline that sticks out of the case. There is an aluminum carrier part with a matching spline. This part carries the ABS ring, the rear brake disk, and the wheel lugs. The carrier is held on by a large retaining ring. The splines on the aluminum part failed and the wheel started to wobble just as described by KPSM.  This also stared to cause wear to the wheel itself where it centers on the axle. This could be a very dangerous failure if ridden too far. The steel part seems to be ok. My bike has 8900 miles on it.
    I am guessing that there is a lubricant of some sort in the spline joint. In my case, black powder was all that was left in there. As previously stated, Triumph replaces the entire rear drive. I don't know if the parts are matched or not, but the carrier replacement is simple and could be done in the field. I had to spend a big pile of money to rent a truck six hundred miles up in Canada and bring it back to Seattle.  I would sure like to know if there is a recommended lubricant or checking procedure that might prevent this in the future. I will at least pull the carrier off when I change a rear tire. I've never seen aluminum and steel splined together.
    Thatch in Seattle
    Thatch in Seattle
    2014 Trophy SE
    2010 VFR1200F
    2007 Tiger 1050

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Re: Final Drive aluminum spline failure
    Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2016, 09.38 am
    Aug 19, 2016, 09.38 am
    So after looking at the pictures it looks like the only thing stopping the rear wheel from coming away from the splined hub, is a snap ring and maybe the rear brake caliper :005:? Really? Tell me this aint so because it looks like a very bad design, like something BMW might do, but not Triumph. I just looked up the rear drive parts diagram and sure enough it looks like the aluminum wheel hub is not sold separately. WTF  :005: Triumph.
    Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 09.44 am by azccj
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2016, 11.57 am
    Aug 19, 2016, 11.57 am
    That looks nasty - glad you found it before it became critical.

I suppose it could be that the aluminium part is deliberately made too tight and the two parts are pressed together giving an interference fit which should make them effectively welded together.  This would make them unsplittable, and the aluminium part not replaceable - hence the lack of a separate part number.  Maybe using metals of dissimilar hardness in this sort of arrangement makes it possible to get a tighter fit, but seems a bad idea from the point of view of subsequent corrosion.

As well as corrosion, I guess problems can arise if any of the dimensions of either mating part are off, or if the two sets of splines are misaligned before being pressed together, in which case the aluminium ones will be damaged.  My speculation is that either case would allow subsequent movement between the two pieces which would lead to a rapidly worsening situation as the steel splines fretted away the aluminium ones.

Fred

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2016, 06.27 am
    Aug 22, 2016, 06.27 am
    I believe that the splines on the shaft and hub should have some type of dry film lubricant to prevent corrosion and fretting of the mating splined components.  I don't know if this is done during the assembly or manufacturing process, but steel to aluminum splines is a recipe for disaster if not correctly done.

The black residue on the splines in the photos shows evidence of fretting wear at the steel to aluminum  interface. I believe that there is a significant potential of failure in this design.  I know that I will further investigate proper engineering protocol on this type of assembly, and will be inspecting mine very soon.

Thatchh, has your machine been operated in a corrosive environment e.g. coastal conditions or road salts?  The photo shows some corrosion of the alloy components.
    Last Edit: Aug 22, 2016, 06.59 am by TTSE14
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline thatchh

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Seattle
    Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2016, 03.45 am
    Aug 24, 2016, 03.45 am
    TTSE14, My Trophy has been ridden in some rain, but mostly in dry conditions and no road salt. I live in Seattle, near the Puget sound, but don't consider it a particularly salty environment. I agree, there is some corrosion there. I wonder if it got salty on the voyage over the pond to the US.
    Thatch
    Thatch in Seattle
    2014 Trophy SE
    2010 VFR1200F
    2007 Tiger 1050

• Offline kspm

• Trophy Member  ‐    14

Offline kspm

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Herington KS
    Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02.47 am
    Aug 28, 2016, 02.47 am
    That is exactly what happened to mine.  The rear was replaced under warranty.  Unfortunately at 40000 miles the new bevel box developed an oil leak from the input shaft.  Oil dripping out of the rubber boot on the swingarm.  I ended up trading it in on a 2015 Trophy because I couldn't trust the 2014 any more.  9000 miles on the 15 so far and all good.  Since I bought the 14 used with 15000 miles on it I am not sure what the previous owner did to it that may have caused problems.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07.15 am
    Aug 28, 2016, 07.15 am
    I'd be interested to know what's the official line on lubrication for this part and how often an owner should do it. I'll be having a look at mine next time the wheel is off.

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08.24 am
    Aug 28, 2016, 08.24 am
    Having looked at my factory service manual, I can tell you that nowhere in the rear drive section does it talk about lubricating the splines or even removing the aluminum spline hub from the steel splined shaft. In fact the manual warns at the beginning of the chapter that under no circumstance should the rear bevel box be disassembled beyond what is described in the section of the service manual, as this could lead to a malfunction of the rear bevel box. :182:

This leads me to believe that the aluminum spline hub is press fitted onto the steel spline shaft. Can anyone confirm if you can just pull the aluminum spline hub off with just your hands after removing the rear brake caliper and the large snap ring? Or would you need a press to separate the 2 pieces?
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT