Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Where are they all - and gear changes!  (Read 6070 times)

• Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
    Where are they all - and gear changes!
    on: Aug 20, 2016, 11.00 pm
    Aug 20, 2016, 11.00 pm
    Hi

Firstly I bought my 2013 TTSE about 3 months ago after years of Wings and Pans and based mainly on recommendations from guys on here and I can't say you were wrong so well done on that score, however, 3 months of riding about 6000 miles including 10 days at the Isle of Man TT, Cassington and countless bike meets and I haven't, genuinely haven't, seen one other TTSE. Where the bloody hell are they all hiding????

The other thing is I have been riding for 35 years, mainly Honda it has to be said, and the one thing about the TTSE that is slightly spoiling my ride is that I should say about 50% of gear changes have a clonk for want of a better description. It doesn't sound like a fault its just a firm clonk into gear but having just come of 4 Honda Pans in a row it is something I never had. Am I doing something wrong or is it just one of those gear boxes things on the TTSE?

Interested to know what others find (assuming you are not hiding with your bikes!)

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Re: Where are they all - and gear changes!
    Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2016, 11.08 pm
    Aug 20, 2016, 11.08 pm
    Ah the gear change subject again. Trick is just pull the clutch 1/2 inch not all the way. This seems to keep everything spinning in the box and it changes sweet. Some also preload the lever before making the change.

Try the short pull on the clutch lever it works for me  :001:
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2016, 11.52 pm
    Aug 20, 2016, 11.52 pm
    I agree with Silverstripes. There is a fine line between a silky smooth change an a real clunker. Just ask my wife !! Try adjusting the clutch lever travel as well i.e. use the rotating wheel. And I try not to close the throttle. Short pull on the clutch lever and slight closing of the throttle seems to work.

• Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2016, 09.56 am
    Aug 21, 2016, 09.56 am
    In your 2 replies alone (Mikestrpy and Silverstripes) you have sort of put my mind at rest. Yes I can get the change fairly slick its just that I have never had to think about it so much before, it doesn't quite come as naturally as on any other bike; shame really. I am playing with the 1 - 4 settings but isn't it a shame that on what appears to be a pretty good motorcycle that they couldn't get that right. It  appears from what you have said that I am not the first to raise it so at least  it sounds like there is neither a fault nor am I doing anything drastically wrong and so I guess no damage is being  caused.

Thanks for speedy replies - at least I have found two more TTSE's, one 150 miles away and the other 12000 lol

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2016, 11.51 am
    Aug 21, 2016, 11.51 am
    If it's any consolation, as a recent buyer of a 2015 TTSE, I have experienced exactly the same thing.  Downshifts are fine, with a slight blip of the throttle I can get these very smooth and noiseless.  However, upshifts are different, with a marked clunk as each gear goes in.  This doesn't seem to make the shift jerky, so it's just the noise I don't like.  I've tried various techniques, but have so far not hit on the magic formula to avoid the clunk.

As a possibly separate issue, I feel that just occasionally the clutch does not re-engage as quickly as I would expect when releasing the lever, almost as if something is sticking.  I know some people have had issues with damaged seals in the clutch slave cylinder, which I guess could possibly cause this, so will maybe have a look at mine sometime.

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2016, 12.56 pm
    Aug 21, 2016, 12.56 pm
    It is strange that what is to me an otherwise well engineered bike has such a poor gearbox in regard of noise and slickness. Interestingly enough I did 200 miles yesterday and with it being warm had the screen right down and the ear plugs in hard to reduce noise. This meant I couldn't hear the clonk particularly and it was actually a more pleasant ride. Dropped to the filling station later in the evening with no ear plugs and focussed straight in on it. I agree also that the engage doesn't appear as sharp every time as you might hope, but then that could be me overthinking it trying to avoid the noise and not releasing it quickly enough.

I did have two separate people come up to me with, as they put it 'bike envy' so that was nice.

• Offline RocketSteve   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    601

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
    • City / Town: Bideford
    Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2016, 01.04 pm
    Aug 21, 2016, 01.04 pm
    I only use the clutch when pulling away and changing down.

Try throttling off very slightly as you're about to change up - then shift the gear lever as normal.

It's better for longer rides and great for quicker up-shifts too :002:
    To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    762

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2016, 03.35 pm
    Aug 21, 2016, 03.35 pm
    The other thing you might be doing Pottsie is shifting it like a GW.   If you let her wind up a bit more than your GW it will shift very slick.   Not a good lugging motor.