Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Rear Observation  (Read 7939 times)

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1297
    • Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Rear Observation
    on: Aug 23, 2016, 03.00 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 03.00 pm
    Hi Guys,

may I have your opinions please?

I think rear observation, and I'm talking head check, should be considered whenever you are changing speed or direction.  I am currently in an anal discussion regarding when to do the head check for speed changes.

Going from 30 to National speed limit I think the head check should be done when passing the sign prior to speeding up.  When coming from National Speed limit to mandatory 30 then before the sign, before you start to slow for the speed restriction so that you are doing 30 when you pass the sign.  All of this if it is safe to do so of course.

A colleague suggests all head checks should be done slavishly as soon as you see the sign.

What do you think?

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Re: Rear Observation
    Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2016, 03.38 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 03.38 pm
    As soon as I saw a sign I would check mirrors left and right as I might be rolling off etc.  Then when entering or leaving the new speed limit a good check of the mirrors.  In fact going in and out of speed limits I only check mirrors.  Also you are right the speed limit sign is where the limit starts.  So check at limit sign as leaving lower to faster (just before so you are ready to hit the new speed early rather than leave, check, accelerate).  And actually keep good eye on mirrors all the way down to a slower speed limit as you are decelerating as you approach the sign not at the sign.  No need for shoulder / rear check?   When changing lanes I generally do a shoulder check only (check blind spot).  I suppose if I knew I had not been keeping an eye on the mirrors then I might do a full rear check before going to overtake.  I don't often do a full rear check.  You take your eyes off the way you are travelling for too long.  Just my views?

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2016, 06.24 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 06.24 pm
    I guess I do so many over the shoulder checks routinely during riding that I would probably say when you decide to make a change and after you make the change....

In my opinion you can't really check too often
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Glenn   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    373

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
    Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07.11 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 07.11 pm
    I always do a shoulder check before changing speed or direction. I always aim to be at the required speed by the time that I reach the speed limit change sign. Not saying that other opinions are right or wrong, that's how I ride.

• Offline twowheeladdict   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 trophy se
    • City / Town: Tennessee
    Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07.52 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 07.52 pm
    I check mirrors constantly when riding or driving.  Situational  awareness always.  Shoulder checks only when considering a lane change because of what is in front of me, and when i'm just about to change lanes.

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08.24 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 08.24 pm
    MY 4d

When you first spot a 30 sign before you roll off throttle then a LR Mirror check should be done and repeated as you check for following traffic before planning your deceleration into the 30 zone, crossing the line (imaginary between the two 30 signs). Then as you reach the National sign again a LR mirror check before you plan to accelerate. These are mirror checks and not blind spot or lifesavers.

In terms of blind spot or lifesavers I think at every Right turn these are mandatory before you commit to the turn. For lefts in an urban environment they should be considered more, to look for bike coming off pavement, pedestrians and the learner on a moped. However there are two options:

1. Early mirror check then close the gap so nothing can get on your inside.

2. Hold your position and mirror then as you commit to the left turn with a wider arc then pop in a LH shoulder or blind spot check.

The police view is that if your over 45 MPH then you should be looking where you are going and not where you have been !!!

It wasn't me !!

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2016, 09.16 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 09.16 pm
    Checked on way home tonight and realise I do a full life saver when joining a dual carriageway on a slip road.  You have to be doubly careful about anyone in front so to avoid rear ending anyone in front who stops?

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10.08 pm
    Aug 23, 2016, 10.08 pm
    Basically as motorcyclists we have to be genetically modified to have eyes covering 360 degrees at all times and a special gland activated to enable us to look into the future too! :008:
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch