Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Filling Up  (Read 8227 times)

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: East Bay, CA
    Filling Up
    on: Aug 25, 2016, 02.06 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 02.06 pm
    Just a stray observation:

I find it odd that Triumph would export a bike to the U.S. but not make filling up compatible with U.S. gas pumps.  Even with a McCuff I still struggle a bit because of the stops in the bike that prevent the nozzle from getting down a bit deeper into the tank.

Is that just the way it is, or am I simply doing something wrong?
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." ~Unknown

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Re: Filling Up
    Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2016, 02.32 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 02.32 pm
    I put the pump nozzle perpendicular to the plastic insert in the filler. I find that if the pump nozzle face is not "flat" you get splash-back. The biggest pain is if there is an evaporative recovery boot on the nozzle. I have to use one hand to push that up and one hand to dispense. I stop on the first pump shut off trigger as well; the tank is usually very full at that point.
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2016, 02.52 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 02.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by azgman [+]
    I put the pump nozzle perpendicular to the plastic insert in the filler. I find that if the pump nozzle face is not "flat" you get splash-back. The biggest pain is if there is an evaporative recovery boot on the nozzle. I have to use one hand to push that up and one hand to dispense. I stop on the first pump shut off trigger as well; the tank is usually very full at that point.

Yep, I'm doing the same (all pumps in CA have the recovery boot), but even though the McCuff helps quite a bit, I still have to compress the boot a little bit more so the pump will work.  Never had that problem with previous (Japanese) bikes; the McCuff compresses the boot because the nozzle actually fits down through the hole.
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." ~Unknown

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03.23 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 03.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mystical Cat [+]
    Just a stray observation:

I find it odd that Triumph would export a bike to the U.S. but not make filling up compatible with U.S. gas pumps.  Even with a McCuff I still struggle a bit because of the stops in the bike that prevent the nozzle from getting down a bit deeper into the tank.

Is that just the way it is, or am I simply doing something wrong?
    There are  a couple of things you can do. One is to remove the thing below the gas cap, that is blocking the filler hose. It's easy to do, but I have NOT done mine yet, but will soon. I know others who have done it to their TTSE. It's a simple modification that I recently heard about. What blocks the filler hose is just part of the assembly below the gas cap and is rather easy to remove by simply by taking apart all the trimming around the gas tank and removing the lower assembly below the filler hole.  When I do mine, I will explain it better. Perhaps some others here have already done it, hopefully they will post here.

Another thing you may find helpful at some gas pumps is this. And then you don't have to do anything to the tank.

But the first method works better at most gas stations.

-Don-  Reno, NV
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03.37 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 03.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by DonTom [+]

Another thing you may find helpful at some gas pumps is this. And then you don't have to do anything to the tank.

Yep, been using McCuff for years, but with the TTSE the nozzle still doesn't go deep enough for the McCuff to completely compress the boot.  I'll look into that mod you mentioned.  Thank you!

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2016, 03.48 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 03.48 pm
    Remove the black plastic trim over the"fuel tank" there are two screws in the front and two in the rear under the seat. If you have installed the factory tank bag you have already had this piece off. Once it is off you take out the screws around the fuel cap and remove that assembly. Looking at it from the bottom you will see four small "nubs" protruding into the center of the filler hole. They will be located at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o-clock. I used a small file to remove mine, you can use whatever you like. They are plastic and remove easily. Now the fuel nozzle will go into the opening farther. I did mine somewhere around the third fill up after getting fed up with spilling fuel.

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2016, 04.21 pm
    Aug 25, 2016, 04.21 pm
    *Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
    Remove the black plastic trim over the"fuel tank" there are two screws in the front and two in the rear under the seat. If you have installed the factory tank bag you have already had this piece off. Once it is off you take out the screws around the fuel cap and remove that assembly. Looking at it from the bottom you will see four small "nubs" protruding into the center of the filler hole. They will be located at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o-clock. I used a small file to remove mine, you can use whatever you like. They are plastic and remove easily. Now the fuel nozzle will go into the opening farther. I did mine somewhere around the third fill up after getting fed up with spilling fuel.

Perfect.  Thank you!

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2016, 04.53 am
    Sep 04, 2016, 04.53 am
    *Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
    Thanks for your excellent instructions!

I just did mine and I had no idea the fuel pump nozzle was getting caught on those little plastic notches. I guess the British fuel nozzles are thinner.

Anyway, I was low on fuel when I got home so I decided to do mine then and then go fill up the tank. What a nice difference!

Thanks again!

-Don-  Reno, NV
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch