Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bike dies after revving  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Bike dies after revving
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:01 pm »
I happened to have the bike in neutral and was listening for what I thought was a valve noise so I revved to about 5000 rpm and let go of the throttle.  The bike was unable to hold the idle and it dipped and then died.  I was able to repeat this multiple times but it only happens if the revs are at at least 5000 or more.  Not that I would sit there and rev it all day in neutral but it is a bit strange and I dont want it dying on me while I'm riding.
I have not had the bike die on me when coming to a stop - yet.  TPS problem?  Bad tank of gas?  Dealer was too booked to take it in for now but I will need to get it looked at unless someone has an easy fix!

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Re: Bike dies after revving
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:44 pm »
I absolutely agree that this should not happen, especially with a ride-by-wire throttle system. However, are you really likely to go from 5000+ RPM to idle throttle in neutral or with the clutch in while riding?!

In the event that you do try this while riding I suggest that putting it back into gear and releasing the clutch would likely restart the engine- just like back in the old days!  :114:

I suspect that Triumph have not come across this problem as the scenario you propose was unlikely to have been in their test regime. When your issue reaches the folks at Triumph HQ their likely response will be "why the hell would you do that?!" Still, it may trigger a modification to the throttle software to cater for this "edge case".

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
and this could not be any security mechanism, I do not understand?

for example, today I realized that the bike when it falls to the ground (this time I dropped right and broke the tulip not flashing), the engine is, is the ignition lights on, but the engine stops

the other time I dropped the bike down, the same thing happened, the motor stops by itself

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »
Any bike with fuel injection will cut out at a certain angle of lean.  This is a mandatory safety cut out in the case of an accident.

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by BluePilot [+]
I absolutely agree that this should not happen, especially with a ride-by-wire throttle system. However, are you really likely to go from 5000+ RPM to idle throttle in neutral or with the clutch in while riding?!

In the event that you do try this while riding I suggest that putting it back into gear and releasing the clutch would likely restart the engine- just like back in the old days!  :114:

I suspect that Triumph have not come across this problem as the scenario you propose was unlikely to have been in their test regime. When your issue reaches the folks at Triumph HQ their likely response will be "why the hell would you do that?!" Still, it may trigger a modification to the throttle software to cater for this "edge case".

BP
I was thinking the same thing but really, revving the bike a bit is probably not that crazy a sceanario.  It's not like I hit 10,000 rpm.   
It should hold the idle when the rpms drop.  The situation is really only a problem if the bike dies at an inopportune moment.  My Multistrada was known to have the same issue and some guys were having problems in that the bike would die when they pulled the clutch in.  Happened to me a few times but like you said I was in gear and released the clutch and there was little to even notice.  Probably a software problem here or maybe some sensor.  As long as it does not invade my riding I'm not worried and will have it checked in the fall.  If the problem rears its head at other times then I guess i will have to bring it in sooner. 

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:25:00 am »
i think i can fit a triple set of Amals.

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Any bike with fuel injection will cut out at a certain angle of lean.  This is a mandatory safety cut out in the case of an accident.

thanks did not know, my rt1200 my R850R 2007 and 2000 did not turn off the engine in a fall

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by nert [+]
i think i can fit a triple set of Amals.
I'm not far frmo yu.  Be over soon :)