Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Stupid Stebel horn lasted less than a year  (Read 3771 times)

• Offline jim515

• Trophy Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline jim515

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: Thornton, CO
    Stupid Stebel horn lasted less than a year
    on: Sep 03, 2016, 10.16 pm
    Sep 03, 2016, 10.16 pm
    I mounted a Stebel Ear Cannon in 2015 and was very happy with the loud sound and the reaction of the BDICs* when they strayed into my lane.

After about 3 months the low sound stopped, then it quickly turned into a feeble bleat and then nothing.  After pondering the possibilities I bit the bullet and took off the bodywork today.

An hour later and, many thanks to Coconut for his How-To that includes removing the body panels, I had the horn exposed. I hit the horn button and the pump fired up with no sound. Removed the horn and separated the air pump from the horn part. Put an air hose in the horn and the high tone worked, the low tone was dead. No air moved through that part of the horn. Tried to clean it out, nothing doing. I said fark it.

I went to the local Triumph dealer, Erico Motorsports in Denver, and picked up a WOLO high tone horn. Not nearly as loud as the Air Cannon, claimed 119dB vs 139dB. It installed using the factory wiring quickly.

Buttoned up the bike and did a  test ride without anything falling off and the horn working.

Reading up I find quite a few people that had similar problems with the Stebel. So, if you are thinking about an air cannon, skip it and get another horn. YMMV.

Brain Dead Ignorant Cager
    DoD #3.2616
    '13 Triumph Trophy
    When in doubt gas it, at least it ends the suspense.
    “If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

• Offline CecilSaxon

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline CecilSaxon

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE~ SOLD
    • City / Town: Middle TN
    Re: Stupid Stebel horn lasted less than a year
    Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2016, 10.31 pm
    Sep 03, 2016, 10.31 pm
    I have installed Stebel horns on every bike up to date. I was waiting for winter to do an install on the Trophy. Mine were always installed to spec but seem to last only a few years at most. Anyone swapped horns with one that did not require a relay? I assume the one you used this time was not requiring one.

• Offline jim515

• Trophy Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline jim515

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: Thornton, CO
    Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2016, 01.08 am
    Sep 04, 2016, 01.08 am
    I had to remove the Stebel relay and go back to stock wiring. So that is an easier install.
    DoD #3.2616
    '13 Triumph Trophy
    When in doubt gas it, at least it ends the suspense.
    “If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2016, 01.40 am
    Sep 05, 2016, 01.40 am
    I'm pretty happy with the Denali Sound Bomb, though can't say what long term reliability will be.  I fitted this in addition to the stock horn and when I had occasion to use it recently (car cutting a right hand corner* and straying into my lane - why do people do this so much these days?) the combination was impressively loud.

I fitted a Denali air horn on my previous bike, and that was also very good.

Fred

* (Would be a left hand corner in the US)
    Last Edit: Sep 05, 2016, 01.42 am by fred_jb
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline r1pete

• Trophy Pro  ‐    137

Offline r1pete

• Trophy Pro
    • 24 years of "Cage Free" living and still unmelted
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Idaho High Desert
    Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2016, 03.36 am
    Sep 05, 2016, 03.36 am
    I got one from a wrecked Goldwing and went and purchased a relay for it from Auto Parts store and it is really good, I'm pleased as punch with this creation!
    Motorcycles in my garage currently:
    2016 Triumph Trophy SE, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1K Adv

Now looking for something new for summer play.

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2016, 04.41 pm
    Sep 06, 2016, 04.41 pm
    In any discussion of horns, this is required reading: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

The stock horn on our bike is terrible. I'm reasonably certain it doesn't pull more than an amp or two based on its lack of volume and the gauge of wire used. That being the case, you will ALWAYS need a relay for any aftermarket horn of any worth.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2016, 05.20 pm
    Sep 06, 2016, 05.20 pm
    Some good general information in that article, though as it's dated 2008 it is probably a bit out of date regarding the types of aftermarket horns available and their relative performance.

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2016, 04.14 pm
    Sep 07, 2016, 04.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by fred_jb [+]
    Some good general information in that article, though as it's dated 2008 it is probably a bit out of date regarding the types of aftermarket horns available and their relative performance.

It's definitely old, but the information seems to still be relevant given the OP's experience and experience of others I still see purchasing the products reviewed in the article. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen any other products come out in the past eight years other than the ones mentioned in the review when I searched a couple of months ago for my replacement.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100