24 Sep 22, 21:32 pm

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] New Member  (Read 3928 times)

• Offline TrophySE2016

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline TrophySE2016

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 TrophySE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    on: Sep 13, 2016, 03.26 am
    Sep 13, 2016, 03.26 am
    Greetings and Salutations...LOL.  Picked up a 2016 Trophy SE about a month ago. 2K miles later and I have something to talk about...LOL.

First a little about me, military and law enforcement, age 54, 6', 215lbs, been riding since I was a teenager from dirt bikes to cruisers. Mostly cruisers and tourers. Last few bikes have been large cruisers (1300 and 1800) and tourers (Yamaha Venture Royal). I've ridden stateside and Europe. I can proudly say that in all my years of riding, I've never laid my bike down....well except parking lot on a hill incident...but we don't want to talk about that...LOL. For the most part I've been able to keep her between the ditches.

Traded my VTX1300 in for this one. Miss my cruiser...but having fun with my SE. There is a learning curve going from a cruiser to a sport/sport touring. This is my first sport/sport touring. Was actually looking at the Rocket III touring when I saw the SE.

MY pros and cons....

Pros....Love the look and style of this bike. The throttle is very responsive...very responsive...LOL. Needless to say much more than my VTX. Braking stops me when I need to...LOL. No brake lock at sudden stops. Able to get in and out of corners and turns. Shifting is a breeze, even for me. Responds like a smaller lighter bike.

Cons....This bike is top heavy. It's difficult making "U" turns. Because of peg placement broke off the rubber heat deflector on the left side of bike and right side is not to far behind. My fault... Not use to pegs and shifter being so far back.

The bike on display has the hand heat warmer switch. I assumed the bike came with the heat warmer, it did not. My sales person also thought it was included. Checked the paperwork that came with the bike and of course it's not listed as an accessory so needless to say I have to pay extra for it. No sense in going back to the dealer since he will say "you should have checked to fine print"...really...LOL. Well yea, I should have checked to see what was included. The web sight shows it as an option.

What was also not included was the truck of course. I expected that. What I didn't expect was not getting instructions with the trunk when I ordered it. I had to get on line....here by the way....and find the instructions for myself. Btw....thanks to MGMOTO for his "OBTW" on installing the trunk. Invaluable...  I had no problems installing the carriage myself.

I also didn't expect to get everything but the trunk. It was back ordered....2 months. But to my surprise it arrived within a month. Cudos...

The radio flat out sucks...  In town I can barely get a radio station to come in. Most of the time the dial just spins. Outside of town I just turn it off and connect my blue tooth to my phone.

And speaking of blue tooth...I can't get 2 models of helmet BT to connect. One connects with the connection dropping in and out. The other says it connects but nothing out of the radio. Both BT's connect to every other BT enabled device I have.

Another problem....not many after market accessories for this bike. It became apparent when I began looking for a passenger back rest. Either I order a "dorbin"....lol for $800 or an SE trunk. I opted for the trunk since it would also give me the added storage space and it's Triumph. Might as well stay with the brand....

But the biggest problem I've come across is over heating. I'm hoping to get some input on this issue. Twice since I purchased the bike I've had temp spikes and the battery warning light came on during these high temps. Both times I was heavy on the clutch and brake at walking pace due to being in line (entering parks) for long periods of time. As soon as I get moving and get some air to the bike the temps drop back down. Immediately I might add. The battery light eventually goes out as well. My usual riding is 4 squares. The spikes were up to 6 and 7, or 2 short of max...

Is this an issue I need to be concerned with? Maybe change my anti freeze to a higher mix? Charlotte area with weekend trips to the mountains.

If it sounds like I don't like this bike then your wrong. I like it once I get rolling. The power and speed is awesome for a 1300 (1290 or something). And it just looks good. No matter what, I'm going to learn to ride it well since I plan on putting on the miles. I'll ride the hell out of her for the fall and see what happens.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: New Member
    Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08.28 am
    Sep 13, 2016, 08.28 am
    Hi TrophySE2016 and :400: to the Club !

To answer some of your issues :

Heated Grips - See here about buying the individual parts
    rather than the "Kit" and saving some $$$'s ! .....
    Heated grips for 2015 SE Trophy
    Heated grip kit or buy parts ?
    HOW TO: Install Factory Heated Grips

Note that there appear to be two versions of Heated Grip wiring on Trophys -
    one has a socket for connnecting a plug ( provided with the correct version of the "Kit" )
    located underneath the "Glove Box" which enables the Instrument Panel Heated Grip Icons,
    the other does not have this socket and "may" need a Dealer to enable the Icons

Overheating - Sorry of this is stating the obvious, but as you didn't mention it in your write up
    have you checked that the two electric cooling fans are cutting in corrrectly ?
    If they are not operating that would explain the problem !
    Also check that the Expansion Tank bottle cap ( inside the front wheel arch
    behind the left side infil panel ) is tight and sealing properly.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 28, 2021, 11.24 am by Coconut

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08.33 am
    Sep 13, 2016, 08.33 am
    Hi and welcome to the gang  :821:

Interesting what you say about overheating. Are you fans cutting in OK, can you hear them. Mine come on a 5 bars and she never goes above that  :169: You do have warmer weather over the pond so maybe you will get more useful replies from those more local to you  :007: :152:

Enjoy the ride
    It wasn't me !!

• Offline Stelyn   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
    Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08.42 am
    Sep 13, 2016, 08.42 am
    Hi TrophySE2016 , welcome aboard  :401: , lots to learn here on the forum.  hope you can rectify those minor issues soon.     :821:
    `Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

• Offline TrophySE2016

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline TrophySE2016

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 TrophySE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2016, 11.09 am
    Sep 13, 2016, 11.09 am
    Good morning and thank you to all that have replied....

Fans...I'll look into them today. I do hear them from time to time but have never given them any thought as to when or if they do at all. The fans did come on during those spikes....I'm pretty sure of it.

@Coconut, thank you for the "expansion cap" question. I'll look into as well.

Regards,

JB

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2016, 02.55 pm
    Sep 13, 2016, 02.55 pm
    It is quite important to check that there are no leaks - which would be indicated by the
    coolant level in the expansion tank dropping, and having to be topped up regularly.

There have been a number of Members report loose hose connnections,
    so check they are all tight and not leaking - any leaks will not only lose coolant fluid,
    but can also resut in the coolant "boiling" due to the reduced pressure caused by the leak.
    ( In pressurised systems water / coolant "boils" at a higher temperature ).

Last Edit: Jan 28, 2021, 11.23 am by Coconut

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    235

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2016, 03.26 pm
    Sep 13, 2016, 03.26 pm
    Welcome to the Trophy World!  It is a great bike, for sure.    :401:

• Offline Brit Al   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    273

Offline Brit Al

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TTSE '14
    • City / Town: Aylesbury
    Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08.33 pm
    Sep 13, 2016, 08.33 pm
     :401: To the forum, sounds like you are making good use of it already.
    Al