Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] TPMS Shenanigans  (Read 4128 times)

• Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro  ‐    134
    • Topic Author

Offline Mystical Cat

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: East Bay, CA
    TPMS Shenanigans
    on: Sep 20, 2016, 01.25 am
    Sep 20, 2016, 01.25 am
    Okay, so my journey with the TTSE began with the TPMS sensors sending battery low errors.  Not a big deal because I've got tons of warranty left with which to get them fixed, and I can clear those errors with the press of a button.

As of late, I've been getting low pressure warnings for the rear tire, but I can't find any rhyme or reason for it.  For weeks the pressure has read 40 front, 42 rear, and that was solid.

Over the last few trips to work, in the morning when the temp is cooler, the red light and display error come on for a minute or two, then vanish.  Makes sense because of the cooler air and when the tires warm up the pressure increases and the error goes away.  But then the same warning invariably comes back near the end of my commute at just about the same location along my journey, but the rear tire pressure may have dropped to 41.

Today on my way home it was rather hot out and even though the pressure was reading at 43 rear, 40 front, I got a red light and a display error of rear tire pressure being low.

Any ideas what may be going on?   I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the sensors, and should just plan to get them changed out sooner than later.  I hate that glaring red light, especially in the morning because the birds aren't even up yet when I go to work.
    Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016, 01.27 am by Mystical Cat
    "Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." ~Unknown

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Re: TPMS Shenanigans
    Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06.17 am
    Sep 20, 2016, 06.17 am
    *Originally Posted by Mystical Cat [+]
    As of late, I've been getting low pressure warnings for the rear tire, but I can't find any rhyme or reason for it.  For weeks the pressure has read 40 front, 42 rear, and that was solid.
    What is the PIS measured on a decent gauge (not on the TPMS)?  Anyway, I would probably put in 2 psi more than spec and see if that clears your low psi  alarm.

-Don-  Reno, NV
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline Jings

• Trophy Member  ‐    80

Offline Jings

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Norfolk
    Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07.16 am
    Sep 20, 2016, 07.16 am
    *Originally Posted by Mystical Cat [+]
    Okay, so my journey with the TTSE began with the TPMS sensors sending battery low errors.  Not a big deal because I've got tons of warranty left with which to get them fixed, and I can clear those errors with the press of a button.

Over the last few trips to work, in the morning when the temp is cooler, the red light and display error come on for a minute or two, then vanish.  Makes sense because of the cooler air and when the tires warm up the pressure increases and the error goes away.  But then the same warning invariably comes back near the end of my commute at just about the same location along my journey, but the rear tire pressure may have dropped to 41.

Today on my way home it was rather hot out and even though the pressure was reading at 43 rear, 40 front, I got a red light and a display error of rear tire pressure being low.

Any ideas what may be going on?   I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the sensors, and should just plan to get them changed out sooner than later.  I hate that glaring red light, especially in the morning because the birds aren't even up yet when I go to work.

I have had EXACTLY the same problem over the past few days - I mentioned it in (one of) the other post about TPMS troubles.

Today in my 50 mile commute I had a warning of F33/R39... this was in the early morning at 10C, and mid journey I got another red light for F35/R43, then later another at F36/R43. By this time the temperature was 16C, and the tyres were thoroughly warmed through.

I will put another couple of psi in tonight, but I am certain it is due to temperature variance as we move out of what was a very hot end to summer. Generally the UK has cooled by about 10degC over the past week, so this will affect pressure.

Interestingly, I didn't have any similar issues during the transition from winter to summer... perhaps the general temperature rise was just enough to offset any natural pressure loss through time?
    Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016, 07.17 am by Jings

• Offline Jimbo12

• Trophy Junior  ‐    1

Offline Jimbo12

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy 1200
    • City / Town: Neyland
    Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12.19 pm
    Jan 23, 2017, 12.19 pm
    I'm having a similar problem,since having new tyres fitted.Low TPMS battery,sometimes it's the front,sometimes the rear,though the tyre pressure readings are O.K.I can clear the fault by either switching the engine off,or by pressing the "i" button with the bike out of gear.Prior to the having tyres changed I had no problem.Is this a problem with the bikes computer as  opposed to battery fault ? 

• Offline gfxmonkey   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    562

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TROPHY SE
    • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
    Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02.06 pm
    Jan 23, 2017, 02.06 pm
    I had mine changed after the 30,000 mile service or just over 2 years. Hope that helps.

Glen

• Offline Walkers run

• Trophy Member  ‐    12

Offline Walkers run

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy black
    • City / Town: florida
    Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09.07 pm
    Jan 27, 2017, 09.07 pm
    I just had the same thing happen yesterday after only 2,100 miles. The bike is a 2015 dealer left over, maybe the batteries are weak?

• Offline Jings

• Trophy Member  ‐    80

Offline Jings

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Norfolk
    Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2017, 11.53 am
    Feb 10, 2017, 11.53 am
    I've been having TPMS Battery warnings for a few weeks now, even though the pressures are fine. I reckon it's due to cold temperatures. It's in for 20,000 mile service this week so will see what the dealer reckons.

Did I read somewhere on here that it's about 300 for the sensors?!   :183: How much are the batteries themselves?

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2017, 04.07 pm
    Feb 10, 2017, 04.07 pm
    I have been getting the low battery warning for months.... but then they are 4 years old now!

Just press the info button and it will cancel the warning and then you will get your pressure readings as normal.

A pair of sensors fitted seems to be between 150 & 200 depending on the dealer. I will wait until my next set of tyres which are probably 6 months away.
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch