Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Lowered Pegs & Dealer Woes  (Read 3150 times)

• Offline Qwerty677

• Trophy Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Qwerty677

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE XRx Scrambler
    • City / Town: Taunton
    Lowered Pegs & Dealer Woes
    on: Sep 22, 2016, 01.29 pm
    Sep 22, 2016, 01.29 pm
    Dear All, I fitted a set of Knight Design foot pegs and realised both gear & brake lever would need to be adjusted.  Popped it into Total Triumph today, who have made adjustments (without removing the side panels) and have told me that no further adjustment is possible / recommended.  I still have to lift my left paw off the peg to change down the box and the brake lever if above horizontal with the peg.

I think this mod appears to be fairly common, and I don't follow the logic, especially in the gear linkage side that further adjustment may lead to internal damage!

I am not keen to return to them but am equally not keen to get the same story from another dealer at the cost of a further £40!  Lodes anyone else have experience of this problem, or does it sound as though this has not been tackled appropriately?

Best regards. :435:

• Offline kniterider   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    463

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
    • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
    • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
    Re: Lowered Pegs & Dealer Woes
    Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06.12 am
    Sep 23, 2016, 06.12 am
    The dealer I bought my TTSE from said the brake linkage could NOT besafely lowered AT ALL since I had installed the lowered pegs also. He also said that the mechanic told him that my bike was completely up to date software wise. I informed him that was NOT the case  I knew exactly what was on the bike thanks to COCOnut.  I then whipped out my flash drive with the new update on it that I had gotten from another member while they had my bike and installed the update right there in front of him.. I then took the start bolts off the side panel that holds the fooy peg on the brake side and adjusted the brake pedal down perfectly with the new location of the peg.   I have not yet gotten the nerve up to adjust the shift linkage  but that was not as bad as the brake pedal
    A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2016, 08.12 am
    Sep 23, 2016, 08.12 am
    I have the knight design pegs and got my dealer A1 Moto, York to adjust the gear and brake levers, which they did.  I wanted a bit more adjustment but was also told it had maxed out.  One of those side panels has a bolt that is holding the rear sub frame, which has to be supported so you do need to know what you are doing. 

I am used to mine now and love how easy the lower pegs are on my knees.  I also put some bar risers and it is now close to perfect.

I have 100% confidence in my dealer and think the dealer/rider relationship is very important so count myself very lucky A1 Moto are so good.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    235

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2016, 04.22 pm
    Sep 23, 2016, 04.22 pm
    I love the Knight Design lower pegs!  I asked my dealer {EuroTek} to lower the brake pedal which they did with no problem.  You have to be careful not to adjust it too much or it will press on the rear brake light switch which deactivates the cruise control.  The gear shift is probably a smidgen high, but I haven't bothered to have it lowered as of yet.

• Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro  ‐    320

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Blue SE 2014
    • City / Town: South Lakes
    Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2016, 06.30 pm
    Sep 23, 2016, 06.30 pm
    I adjusted the brake lever ( and switch) myself and at its max it is still a little higher than I would like. Did not adjust gear lever and have to lift my foot off the peg for down shifts but  have found it very easy to get used to both so I no longer think about it. Actually the 'raised' gear lever makes up shifts easier and more comfortable than before.

lowered pegs are great for comfort IMO and worth the slight adjustment you have to make with foot controls.
    Last Edit: Sep 23, 2016, 06.34 pm by davidcumbria

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
    Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02.48 am
    Sep 25, 2016, 02.48 am
     :152: Lowered the pegs on my Trophy and adjusted the brake pedal & shifter arm. Just removed the side panels and adjusted them by shortening or lengthening a rod with threads on both ends. One end of the rod is connected with a clevis to brake pedal arm or shifter arm and the other end to the brake cylinder or shifter arm. Whole operation took about two hours. Need to re-adjust brake light switch to make sure brake lights are working right.

• Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
    Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2016, 01.36 pm
    Sep 25, 2016, 01.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by OK_Trophy [+]
    I love the Knight Design lower pegs!  I asked my dealer {EuroTek} to lower the brake pedal which they did with no problem.  You have to be careful not to adjust it too much or it will press on the rear brake light switch which deactivates the cruise control.  The gear shift is probably a smidgen high, but I haven't bothered to have it lowered as of yet.

I installed the Knight Design lower pegs on my 2014.

1) The brake pedal has two adjustments, one for the lever height and one for the brake light adjustment, both of which need to be done at the same time to make sure the brake light comes on at the right pedal depression.    For the 1-1/2" drop that the Knight Design pegs give you, you will lower the brake pedal almost to the end of its adjustment travel in order to bring the pedal back into alignment with the peg, and then adjust the brake light switch.

2) The gear shift lever will also need to be moved to near the end of its adjustment to stay in alignment with the dropped pegs.   I don't know why any dealer would say "You shouldn't do that" or "It's not safe, we won't do it" since the linkage is a positive one.   It's a little bigger deal than the brake, since you need to remove three heavy bolts which hold a subframe part, so have the bike on the centerstand and the rear wheel supported when you do it ... plus the bolts were installed with green LocTite and come out slow and hard.   

But endeavor to persevere, and your bike will fit you like a glove again with no compromises .....

Lannis

tweedy-bunch