Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Harley and the Davidsons  (Read 5376 times)

• Offline Jughead

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102
    • Topic Author

Offline Jughead

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE
    • City / Town: Blue Ridge, TX
    Harley and the Davidsons
    on: Sep 25, 2016, 05.24 pm
    Sep 25, 2016, 05.24 pm
    Did any of you see this mini-series on the beginnings of HD?  I just watched it last night and if it was true to history, I definitely do not feel sorry for Indian!  On the other hand I had a bad experience with HD and the local dealer here which disappoints me from the great story of their beginnings. 

I wonder if there is a similar semi-documentary on Triumph out there?  All of the survivors of the motorcycle industry have some wild stories from their beginnings to world wide prominence I would imagine.  H and the D's was well made and entertaining, I just wonder how much of it was blatant advertisement and how much was truth!

Another one of the founding members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline DaMonk45   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    278

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TEX
    • City / Town: Houston
    Re: Harley and the Davidsons
    Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09.45 pm
    Sep 25, 2016, 09.45 pm
    I seen that a few weeks ago.
    They did a good job of it from my reading.
    I loved all the true to period clothes and living and stuff.

If you have not seen it and get a chance it is work a look.

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 10.09 pm
    Sep 25, 2016, 10.09 pm
    It was entertaining. I liked how they tried to make HD more than just buying a motorcycle right from the very beginning. If the film is true to form the guys were setting the stage for such things as the Harley Owners Group and the "lifestyle" from the very beginning. It is a system that has served HD well. I don't own an HD not my cup of tea, but here's to another hundred years  :821: It would be a boring sport without them.

• Offline Jughead

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102
    • Topic Author

Offline Jughead

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE
    • City / Town: Blue Ridge, TX
    Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 06.53 pm
    Sep 26, 2016, 06.53 pm
    Yeah NavyDad I agree 100% with you.  I did notice the lifestyle and hog group stuff very early on.  HD tried to push that on me as well and tried to get me to sign on the dotted line without a test ride!  There are a couple models I'd like to try, but don't try to sell me a lifestyle and image, I want a motorcycle!  Plus that crap may sell a noob or a squid, but not us that have been around the block a few times.  :007:

Another one of the founding members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12.48 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 12.48 am
    Never been much of a group rider even when we had our Goldwings. My job was one in which I was ready to strangle some idiot several times a day and my motorcycle was my "anger management" class. I rode to work and often took a fifteen minute ride at lunch or the long way home after work to let the bad karma flow away. I don't have the patience to stand in one spot while ten riders have an hour discussion about lunch, gas stops, etc. Thus the HOG or other groups have never held much appeal for me. Now that I am retired I am coming around a bit and getting a bit more social with my motorcycling, but I still prefer just the wife and I on a longer ride. To each their own.

• Offline twowheeladdict   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 trophy se
    • City / Town: Tennessee
    Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01.01 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 01.01 am
    I enjoyed the show, but went into it knowing it was a dramatization of the Harley beginnings.  There was a lot of fact, and a lot of now that we know, wouldn't it be cool if so and so said that back then.

I never knew about the lifestyle except that it looked like thugs rode Harleys.  I did know Evel Knievel rode one, and they were cool looking.  My second bike (first new one) was a 1985 Honda Shadow 700.  It was just cool looking.

Got my first Harley in 2016 after riding just about everything out there.  I don't group ride, or go to rallies.   I just think it is rolling art.

Harley has been offering test rides since at least 2010 in my area.

I am drawn to the retro looking bikes more than the modern plastic covered bikes.

My Moto Guzzi V7 Café  Classic sits on a bench so I can enjoy the look as much as the ride.

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08.55 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 08.55 am
    *Originally Posted by NavyDad [+]
    My job was one in which I was ready to strangle some idiot several times a day and my motorcycle was my "anger management" class.

Oh my....I can relate 100%.  Thank god for getting away several times a year for days at a time in order to maintain my sanity.

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11.38 pm
    Sep 27, 2016, 11.38 pm
    *Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
    My Moto Guzzi V7 Café  Classic sits on a bench so I can enjoy the look as much as the ride.

Mmmmmm, Guzzi V7 Cafe.

tweedy-bunch