Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Trophy Colours  (Read 7012 times)

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150
    • Topic Author

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Trophy Colours
    on: Sep 26, 2016, 09.18 pm
    Sep 26, 2016, 09.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by cecilt [+]
    I would trade mine in now if the 2017 was in ANY colour (black is just the absence of colour!)

And I always thought white was the absence of all color, and black was all the colors combined.
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Re: Trophy Colours
    Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09.59 pm
    Sep 26, 2016, 09.59 pm
    As I understand it, white is what you get when you mix all the colours, so white objects reflect all colours of light equally, whereas for example a red bike would absorb all the colours except red, which it reflects.  Black bikes absorb all colours of light, which is why they get so hot when parked in the sun!

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2016, 10.35 pm
    Sep 26, 2016, 10.35 pm
    So to be clear and responding to cecilt, the colour white would in fact represent no colour since it reflects back all colours equally. Black represents all colours because it reflects none back at you (all are absorbed and contained within it).

For example the colour red is really all colours except for red which is reflected back at you, same with green, blue etc.  :087: Makes sense?
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Oakville
    Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01.44 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 01.44 am
    I like doing this with artsy people.  The colour we perceive is the one reflected.  The rest of the white light is adsorbed by the surface.  So black is indeed the absence of reflected light while white is the reflection of all light.  So when we see a colour what we are looking at is something that is adsorbing every colour but the one we see.    That means the object is actually every colour but the one we see because we only see the reflected colour.  To a scientific or physics mind this makes total sense but to an artist the colour is the colour not the reflection so it's mind bending.

• Offline Gar   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    417

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • Rise up and live your life.
    • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Pincher Creek
    Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01.47 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 01.47 am
    oakville, my point exactly. You are correct.
    Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10.00 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 10.00 am
    *Originally Posted by oakville [+]
    I like doing this with artsy people.  The colour we perceive is the one reflected.  The rest of the white light is adsorbed by the surface.  So black is indeed the absence of reflected light while white is the reflection of all light.  So when we see a colour what we are looking at is something that is adsorbing every colour but the one we see.    That means the object is actually every colour but the one we see because we only see the reflected colour.  To a scientific or physics mind this makes total sense but to an artist the colour is the colour not the reflection so it's mind bending.

That's pretty much the same as I was saying, though I would disagree with the statement "That means the object is actually every colour but the one we see".  The colour of an object IS the colour of the light it either emits or reflects - that is what colour means.  An object doesn't have some sort of underlying colour property comprising the colours of light it absorbs.

Fred
    Last Edit: Sep 27, 2016, 10.04 am by fred_jb
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline cecilt   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    311

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Edinburgh
    Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11.33 am
    Sep 27, 2016, 11.33 am
    I don't wish to start an argument - but you perceive the colour red because red is the colour that is reflected back at you. Black represents no colour, because it does not reflect any colour back to you. You only perceive the colour that is reflected, and not the colours which are absorbed. Having said all that, the colourless black Trophy is beautiful, but it would be a backward step from my blue, and (back to topic), I would prefer some colour in my Trophy.....
    cecilt

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12.17 pm
    Sep 27, 2016, 12.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by cecilt [+]
    I don't wish to start an argument - but you perceive the colour red because red is the colour that is reflected back at you. Black represents no colour, because it does not reflect any colour back to you. You only perceive the colour that is reflected, and not the colours which are absorbed. Having said all that, the colourless black Trophy is beautiful, but it would be a backward step from my blue, and (back to topic), I would prefer some colour in my Trophy.....
    Not an argument - just an interesting discussion!

If you get down to basics, nothing has an inherent property called colour, objects just have different properties in terms of what wavelengths of light they absorb, and which they reflect, and I agree, we perceive the result of that process as the "colour" of the object, but the object itself does not have a colour as such.  If you don't agree, then consider what colour an object is when it has absolutely no light shining on it!

Fred

tweedy-bunch