Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] How bad is this really?  (Read 4605 times)

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: New York
    How bad is this really?
    on: Sep 28, 2016, 12.11 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 12.11 am
    After screwing up something last spring my dealer had to install a new front rim and at the same time I got a new front and rear tires.  Long story there.  All season I have felt something was just not right with the front end and attributed it to the difference in road feel with the new tire.  The bars did not shimmy but the bike did pull ever so slightly to one side and the wheel felt like maybe the balance was slightly off. Was planning on brining it in over the winter .  Lately I was feeling a slight grabbing or pulsing from the front brake at low speed and read the threads on the bobbin service and decided to have a go before thinking warped rotor.  Did one side and bobbins rotated pretty well. Went to do the other and wtf? Why does this side look different?  Well it seems the highly trained mechanics put the rotor with the abs pick up on with the inside facing out.  The rotor is marked "outside" on one sode but that side is facing in.

Needless to say I am pretty pissed and wonder what else they did to my front end but now that I've said.my piece to the dealer and demanded his first born etc. what kind of    da mage has this really done?  While apologetic the dealer is of xourse trying to minimize the possible costs to them.

The front tire despite being at 36 is scalloping with only a few thousand miles on it.  I do not know if a rotor is warped yet but if it is it could be from the improperly installed rotor not floating correclty.  I had new wheel bearings in there. Do they need to be refitted?
    In the end is this a matter of turning the rotor around and moving on?  After of course msking sure it isnt warped.

Believe me I am pissed after what they put me through before but how much of an issue is this and what should I be looking for here?

Thanks.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5042

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: How bad is this really?
    Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12.25 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 12.25 am
     :156: I'd make sure they know they are going to be responsible for any and all ill effects this may have caused, and If they balk, go Triumph with the complaint about it.  Take pictures NOW!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01.23 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 01.23 am
    It has been my experience that the service guys usually break or screw up 2 things for every one they fix. That's why I do my own work if i can. And when they need to do the work, like when I had the head replaced, I gave them my bike with all the bodywork already removed. Good for them and good for me.
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01.33 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 01.33 am
    Agreed.  This unfortunately was the result of a previous screw up where I had to bring them the bike back so they could make it right.   :745:
      I fully expect that when they touch it again the rotor will be put on right but the front rim will be scratched or something else.  I have other issues to deal with now and really don't want to get too worked up about this but of course I will have to in order to get things done.  I like doing some work myself but am more then willing to pay professionals for their skills when I don't.  Unfortunately I am dissapointed everytime.  That's more depressing than my turned around rotor!  If anyone has experience with this f up and can let me know what the ramifications are let me know. Thanks for letting me vent.  This is not an indictment on the product.  I love the bike.  Just a typical crappy service department. 

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01.34 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 01.34 am
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    :156: I'd make sure they know they are going to be responsible for any and all ill effects this may have caused, and If they balk, go Triumph with the complaint about it.  Take pictures NOW!
    yeah.  They know.  Try coming back later with an issue but it is what it is.  I will tske photos.  Almost forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10131

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06.25 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 06.25 am
    The only thing I can think of is that if the Rotor is fitted the wrong way around
    it may not sit centrally in the gap between the caliper pistons and pads,
    but that offet could be taken up by the semi-floating aspect of the rotor.

There MUST be a good reason why the rotor should only be installed one way around,
    ( even if that's not it ) - otherwise they wouldn't stamp "Outside" onto it in the first place !

As a minimum I'd be asking for a new set of Rotors and Pads.

If the front tire has worn excessively since they did the work,
    from what you would expect after the mileage you've ridden,
    I'd be suggesting they replace that too, even though it would be very
    difficult to prove that the tire wear was directly attributable to this.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2021, 07.13 pm by Coconut

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10.26 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 10.26 am
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    The only thing I can think of is that if the Rotor is fitted the worng way around
    it may not sit centrally in the gap between the caliper pistons and pads,
    but that offet could be taken up by the semi-floating aspect of the rotor.

There MUST be a good reason why the rotor should only be installed one way around,
    ( even if that's not it ) - otherwise they wouldn't stamp "Outside" onto it in the first place !

As a minimum I'd be asking for a new set of Rotors and Pads.

If the front tire has worn excessively since they did the work,
    from what you would expect after the mileage you've ridden,
    I'd be suggesting they replace that too, even though it would be very
    difficult to prove that the tire wear was directly attributable to this.

Cheers  :821:

The dealer seemed to be willing to go for a tire becuase that is the cheapeat of the possible items. They were already balking when I mentioned two new rotors in that they indictated if they weren't warped why would they be replaced?  They did mention checking the pads which by the way have about 10000 miles on them now.  I think really the most expensive part that could be damaged are the rotors.

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2016, 05.36 pm
    Sep 28, 2016, 05.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by Trophy Bike [+]
    The dealer seemed to be willing to go for a tire becuase that is the cheapeat of the possible items. They were already balking when I mentioned two new rotors in that they indictated if they weren't warped why would they be replaced?  They did mention checking the pads which by the way have about 10000 miles on them now.  I think really the most expensive part that could be damaged are the rotors.

I think at a bare minimum, you should be getting a new rotor and new pads on the side that they messed up (if it's supposed to be installed one way, and it's installed backwards, who knows how degraded the performance of that piece is now, and it needs to be REPLACED), and since you can't/shouldn't replace only one at a time, that would necessitate new rotors and pads on both sides of the front wheel at their expense.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch