Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Autumn & Winter cleaning regimes  (Read 4338 times)

• Offline Jings

• Trophy Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline Jings

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Norfolk
    Autumn & Winter cleaning regimes
    on: Sep 28, 2016, 07.30 am
    Sep 28, 2016, 07.30 am
    So now we're coming out of summer and into wet and grimy season. Rain, mud and crud. How do you deal with it?

This question is more addressed to folks who use their bikes regularly as opposed to the Sunday 'quick ride & long polish' brigade! I just don't have time to clean my bike as thoroughly as the shiny evangelists decree.

I ride to work Mon-Fri, leave home in the dark and return after dark. Bike gets put in the garage and if it's wet and dirty when I get home, it stays wet and dirty. With a busy family, there isn't much time available at weekends either for washing and polishing. But, through autumn and winter I do make a concerted effort to give a half hour rinse, wash and chammy on a nearly-weekly basis. Then I give it a great big spray of ACF-50 into all the nooks and crannies and covering pretty much everything but the brakes. And that's it.

When the bike is cleaned, it comes up great. I think the Triumph finish quality is pretty good, and the ACF-50 does a fantastic job of protecting the bike and allowing grime to be easily washed off.

The worst part for me is keeping the screen as clean as I'd like - anyone got any tips for keeping the screen nice and shiny and clear?

• Offline Dutchie

• Trophy Member  ‐    49

Offline Dutchie

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: silver mothership
    • City / Town: Amersfoort
    Re: Autumn & Winter cleaning regimes
    Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01.51 pm
    Sep 28, 2016, 01.51 pm
    I ride 6 days a week. Overhere, last winter wasn't really one. They did use road salt for a few weeks altogether though. During those weeks I just rinse the bike on wednesdays and saturdays for 10 minutes.

The screen, light and indicator glasses get cleaned with car shampoo. Not the rest of the bike, I leave that to become a bit greasy.

No ACF-50, WD 40 or stuff like that. Bike still looks like new. In my opinion, modern bikes should be able to handle road salt and winter with just minimal extra care.

• Offline Lannis   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
    Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02.25 pm
    Sep 28, 2016, 02.25 pm
    I clean up the bike surfaces sometimes with some spray cleaner and paper towels, but I never soak it with water from a hose, and especially not with one of those liquid sandblasters from a car wash or pressure washer.   The last thing I want is water getting inside the bike from the outside out of some strange sense of "cleanliness".

Lannis

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1349

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2016, 03.18 pm
    Sep 28, 2016, 03.18 pm
    About this time of year I contact All Year Biker and book one of their Valets and ACF50 applications.

I have had three from the local guy over the years and think they work, make me feel good about the bike and not such a terrible person for taking her out in all that nasty winter weather.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06.36 am
    Sep 29, 2016, 06.36 am
    *Originally Posted by Jings [+]
    So now we're coming out of summer and into wet and grimy season. Rain, mud and crud. How do you deal with it?

The worst part for me is keeping the screen as clean as I'd like - anyone got any tips for keeping the screen nice and shiny and clear?

To clean and keep the windshield clear and shiny: Here is what I do.  I use two microfiber towels, one to wash, the other to dry and buff.

1.  Completely saturate one towel with water and add a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent and work it into the towel, then wring out excess water, just enough that it doesn't drip excessively.
    2.  Then fold the towel to a size that you can use to wash the windshield.
    3.  After folding, spray the surface of the towel with about 3 shots of original ArmorAll protectant from a spray bottle.
    4.  Gently wash the windshield - (the Dawn cuts the bugs and oily film, ArmorAll shines, and makes it slick)
    5.  Using the other microfiber towel, dry the shield, then turn the towel over, and buff to a high slippery gloss.

I've done this for 28 years on a Goldwing windshield, and done properly, wont scratch the surface, and makes it crystal clear and slippery. This is also effective on the painted bodywork and has the same effect as using a detail spray product.
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10194

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2016, 08.58 am
    Sep 29, 2016, 08.58 am
    I would be very wary of using any product on the windshield - my Dealer recommended water only.

Avoid products such as "RainEx" that are designed for Glass only.

The risk is that some products "may" cause discolouration, yellowing, cloudiness,
    OR the plastic to become brittle - which may "look" good, but would not be obvious until it shattered  :005:

"Armorall Original Protectant Spray" instructions state,
    "Do not use on or near clear plastic surfaces".

Unless the bottle says it is OK to use on acryllic / polycarbonate plastics then I'd steer clear.

Discussed previously here : Rain Repellant on Windscreens

Last Edit: Jan 28, 2021, 10.54 am by Coconut

• Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro  ‐    320

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Blue SE 2014
    • City / Town: South Lakes
    Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2016, 09.30 am
    Sep 29, 2016, 09.30 am
    TRophy is pretty good compared to lots of others with not a lot of exposed metal and use of stainless bolts. Anyone prepared to confess to seeing corrosion on some parts of their bike so that we can pay particular attention to those areas in preparing for winter. Lower shock linkage seems most exposed to me but good quality components...

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2016, 07.11 pm
    Oct 08, 2016, 07.11 pm
    Plexus is a good plastic spray cleaner for the windscreens.  Have used it for years on the Goldwing.

There is a plastic approved rain repellant like Rain-x, but designed for our windshields.  Think it's called Rain Magik or Rain Wizard.  I can go look at the bottle if anyone wants me to.  Expensive, but just a couple sprays will do it so the bottle lasts quite a while.

Before using anything though I always soak the screen.  Wet a towel or t-shirt, drape it oveer and let it sit a bit to soften stuck on gunk/bugs.
    Year round rider here!

tweedy-bunch