Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] final drive seal failure and other problems  (Read 8088 times)

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776
    • Topic Author

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    final drive seal failure and other problems
    on: Oct 01, 2016, 05.30 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 05.30 pm
    Short story.   I bought my 13 Trophy in May of 2014.   Have about 35,000 miles on it, have taken several long trips two from PA to the western states without any issues.   Just returned a week ago from a trip to WA, OR, CA, and back through NV, AZ and NM.   

On my way out to MI to pick up another rider for this trip I stopped for gas just before Grayling MI and noticed that my final drive was dripping oil.    We delayed our departure the next day (Sat.) so I could run to an O'reilly's.    Bought a quart of Lucas 75/90 engine main bearing seal, drained the rest of the oil from the final drive and added the proper amount of Lucas oil and we left for our trip.   On my way home I stopped in Ash Fork, AZ shut the bike off for gas and it wouldn't start, had electrical power but the motor would not turn over.    Thought maybe a wire came loose in the starter switch but upon checking everything look as it should.    Called dealer, they suggested switching relays on right side, did that but still nothing.    Then they said if the battery is weak the Trophy is very sensitive to that so my buddy rode 80 miles to an Autozone who had a Duralast battery identical to the original.    Installed new battery still nothing.    So for the next 5 days we had to bump start my bike every morning after looking for a motel that had a good slope to the parking lot.    Had to leave it idle when gassing up and while eating, thanks for liquid cooling.   Final drive held up until I got to within 5 hours of home then starting dripping again but not too bad.    Had the rest of the Lucas oil if necessary.

The final drive seal is not an item to be bought separately rather you must replace entire final drive unit.    The starter switch (button) itself was the problem with the no start.

Really loved this bike until this trip, now I am very disappointed and not sure what to think and can I trust this bike to go on other trips of this nature which we do every other year with a shorter ones in between. 

Currently bike is at dealer awaiting a decision from the UK as to whether or not they will help with the repairs (already rejected by Triumph America).   Bummed out a little bit, hope Triumph comes through with some help.

• Offline nert   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    408

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
    Re: final drive seal failure and other problems
    Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05.39 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 05.39 pm
    Somewhat related to your hardship. Do you carry both keys with you? How do you fuel up with the key in the ignition?

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06.14 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 06.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
    The starter switch (button) itself was the problem with the no start.
    All you needed was a clip lead to start the bike. We should all carry one. Just go from the battery "+" to the hot side of the solenoid coil with the clip lead. Located just in front of the battery. But when you do, be sure you're in neutral. All the safety stuff is bypassed.

Even if you don't have a clip-lead, you can still start the bike with a long metal screwdriver by going direct from battery "+" to the solenoid OUTPUT (the thick wire that goes the the starter motor).  I have done this when my TTSE would not crank in a parking lot after breakfast. My wire from the starter switch pulled out from the small starter relay on the left side of the bike when the handlebars were moved when I parked (without knowing at the time).

BTW, in the process of later permantly repairing  my bike, I discovered the colors of the wires to the starter switch are REVERSED in the service manual, causing me to take the right side of the bike apart when the problem was on the left side. I ended up putting in my own relay and the right side of the bike. It has worked so well me, I left it that way instead of fixing the bike the stock way. I know my wire is impossible to pull out by turning the handlebars.

-Don-  SSF, CA
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline DaMonk45   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    278

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TEX
    • City / Town: Houston
    Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08.17 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 08.17 pm
    I am wondering if the op knows that mechanical things break time to time?
    You had a switch go bad? Easy and quick fix. T did not build the switch nor have there been a lot of issues....Bad Luck? Back in the H-D days we called the screw driver trick   "Jump Fire" always worked.

The oil leak so far as I know all issues have been covered by T.

I think you better sell it and drive the car.

• Offline DonTom   us

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08.52 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 08.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
       The starter switch (button) itself was the problem with the no start.
    Seems rather unlikely to happen after a gas stop, UNLESS the wire behind the switch broke. Are you certain it was the switch itself?

If you used the sidestand at the gas station, I would think an intermittent open there would be MUCH more common. First thing I would have tried would have been to put the sidestand up and down a few times.

Bad push switches usually go intermittent before they stop working completely, unless the switch physically broke apart inside--and then you should feel the difference when you press in the starter button.

Has ANYBODY in this forum had a problem with the starter switch itself?

-Don-  SSF, CA
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09.37 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 09.37 pm
    This is the first bike that I've owned where the clutch lever has to be pulled in before the starter motor circuit is completed, a couple of times I have hit the starter only to hear nothing despite me holding the clutch lever in,....maybe it's not been 100% totally back to the lever because I've got the engine to start on the next press. Maybe this switch could be at fault?

• Offline DonTom   us

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09.52 pm
    Oct 01, 2016, 09.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    This is the first bike that I've owned where the clutch lever has to be pulled in before the starter motor circuit is completed, a couple of times I have hit the starter only to hear nothing despite me holding the clutch lever in,....maybe it's not been 100% totally back to the lever because I've got the engine to start on the next press. Maybe this switch could be at fault?
    Sure, any of the switches in series with the starter motor can cause no crank.  But IMO, the most common switch to crap out to prevent cranking  is the sidestand switch, because it picks up a lot of moisture and dust from the road. And is often put down at gas stations. Perhaps it didn't go back up all the way, is another possibility.

I have never seen a clutch switch fail (four out of five of my bikes have such), but I have seen the wires break off or get loose behind the switch.

BTW, (to the OP) has the bad starter switch been confirmed? Can the problem really be seen (or proved)?

-Don-  SSF, CA

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776
    • Topic Author

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2016, 03.03 am
    Oct 02, 2016, 03.03 am
    *Originally Posted by nert [+]
    Somewhat related to your hardship. Do you carry both keys with you? How do you fuel up with the key in the ignition?

Yes  I always carry the extra key.