Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Problems  (Read 21713 times)

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Problems
« on: June 08, 2013, 01:54:29 AM »
Cruise Control Fault
Below, is a condensed version, of the letter I gave the dealer.
While travelling south on the Northern Expressway, at the Curtis road access, the bike shuddered, the motor lost fuelling and started coasting. The Traction Control and Engine Management Malfunction lights came on. There was no throttle response. The Dash indicated that the bike was in 1st gear, but was in fact in 6th. I had been travelling, two up, at 114 - 116 km/h indicated, on cruise control. The road was dry, clean, straight and smooth. I managed to avoid the traffic and coasted to a stop and switched off the ignition. I checked the bike carefully for any defects, couldn’t find any and restarted the bike. It started and seemed OK, except that the Engine Management Malfunction light stayed on. I rode it home and it seemed to be functioning as normal. This happened at the on-road to come on the freeway, so, I had vehicles trying to get on the freeway as well as cars behind trying to avoid me. This fault could have caused injury. I had 2 occurrences on the demo Trophy, where the bike lost power and several owners (on the Trophy Forum) have had similar, so it’s not isolated to my bike.
In my case, a car had to take to the grass void, to avoid me.
Peter Stevens have been great in their reaction.
When it was connected to the scan tool, the fault displayed was the "Gear Selection Sensor"(sic?)
Triumph KNOW of this fault and have a replacement sensor that keeps the voltage consistent to the Cruise Control.
I have now been waiting two weeks for the replacement Sensor.
That they know and have a replacement part, without notifying riders, is poor consumer service.
Mine has been given a program update, after this problem, but it doesn’t seem to have fixed anything.
I am extremely disappointed in this bike. It has dangerous traits
I have kept quiet, til now, as I don’t want to be negative to a bike I like, but it’s flawed.
- Leaking forks –“ assembly lubricant” or fork oil, it doesn’t matter which, both are dangerous
- Engine cutouts
- Leaking fuel tanks
- Dash info all over the place and not responding to imput.
- Radio disappearing and coming back when the screen operated.
- Screen moving to non-existent setting when started  - I always leave it down at switchoff.
- Bluetooth not working to helmets with constant breakup when both are used for the radio. Shark replaced one set, which was not functioning as per it should, but still the same result.
- Radio reception weak
- Regardless of other rider,s experiences, my bike vibrates footpegs and grips between 75 and 120 k/h.

There are other quirks, that are part of any ownership, but these are the annoying and dangerous ones.
The one I have not experienced is the Fuel leak. Yet?
I check for fuel leaks everytime I stop and peer through the fork leg gaps, while riding, to check for fork leaks
Not a nice way to enjoy a new bike.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:44:08 AM by Robmcg »

Offline Glenk69

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:29:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about these experiences Rob.  I too would be devastated in your situation.  How is it possible that after 15000 kms I haven't encountered any problems with my TT and yet you have all of these problems? Both bikes were manufactured by the same company and one presumes that the assembly line is exactly the same for all TTs.  So it is perplexing that some have all of these faults and others don't when they all went up the same line.  I would also assume that quality and performance testing is an essential part of the process as well.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:59 AM »
Wow, you're right...was dangerous and coulda been serious.  How many KM on the bike? 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:04:50 AM »
Bizarre to say the least. I wonder if the electronic hardware is all from the same manufacturer.

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:13:32 AM »
It's travelled 2,100 kms.

Twice, when these failures occurred, my wife was on board. Both times in traffic. Her other time was leaned over in a slow speed corner, as was a solo one. She isn't inclined to pillion anymore. I wouldn't have wanted to be on the back watching cars veer around us either. For that, I'm angry. I have reported all instances to the dealer, as 2 of the 3 were on the demo bike.

I was told not to use the cruise control. That was relayed to me from the Aust. Triumph Technical Officer.
It doesn't explain the sudden engine cut-outs when it's not on cruise control.
I notice that there is also a comment about recall re replacing fuel tanks. Who knows, hope its true, as I don't want to have that nagging thought of a failure running through my head while riding. Never, have I had such doubts about a bike, in my entire riding life.

My Fork leaks have not resurfaced and stay dry. Credence is given to the "Assembly Lubricant" theory. Why then, are seals are being replaced? - or whether they are, in fact, doing so, as it seems to be a big task.
Triumph play cards close to their chest. I doubt I will buy another.

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
I have 700 miles on mine without a fault of any kind.
I sure hope if stays that way, as I am taking off on a week long trip in 2 weeks.

Offline kgerry

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
Rob, what is the build date on your bike?  it should say on the label on the front legs (right side i believe)

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
Excellent question, I was just going to ask about build dates.

If there is a Triumph Rep. reading this forum, I'd like to know: Are the electronic packages all from the same manufacturer/supplier? Is this a build date issue? Is Triumph aware and do you plan to address these problems?

This is my 5th new Triumph since 2000. Great customer care has been my experience. Will Triumph step up and take care of its loyal customers?

This thread has me nervous about my upcoming road trip  :191: