Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: optimate  (Read 11556 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
optimate
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:47:06 am »
Tried plugging the optimate in for the first time.  And when I did the snowflake led lit up I think k this means desulphate?  I unplugged it straight away until I know more.  Plugged it into the sprint and all was fine.  Any ideas should I plug it in and leave it to sort itself out?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: optimate
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:52 am »
Hi John,

Are we talking about the Optimate 4 here ?

User Manual / Instructions are available to download here :
http://www.optimate.co.uk/Optimate%204%20Instructions.pdf

First of all - do you suspect that the battery might be discharged at all ?

If so then what you are experiencing may be perfectly normal as described in the Manual.

If you believe the battery is OK, then double check the connection(s) you are making from the OptiMate to the bike -
any loose connections can affect the way the OptiMate assesses the battery condition, and this could be your problem.

I think we can discount the OptiMate itself as being faulty if it seems to work correctly on another bike.

If the connections are all good, plug it in and see what happens compared with the instructions.
( Read the warning note at the end of the instructions FIRST ! )

The "snowflake" symbol itself doesn't light up, but an orange LED to the right of it does.

The Manual states :

3. Circuit activation and recovery of deep-discharged, neglected batteries
3.1 ACTIVATION - If the battery voltage is above 2V, LED #3 lights briefly to confirm circuit activation.
For most batteries LED #3 goes out immediately and charge LED #4 comes on.
3.2 RECOVERY - For neglected or very flat batteries, LED #3 remains on and indicates steadily.
3.3 TURBO RECOVERY - For a badly neglected battery TURBO RECOVERY engages and LED #3 flashes.
If step 3 has not concluded after 2 hours, step 4 ( Charge and charge verification ) engages automatically.

Further under "USING THE OPTIMATE 4" :
3. Circuit activation and recovery of deep-discharged, neglected batteries
For safety reasons the OptiMate output will only switch on if a battery retaining at least 2V is correctly connected to it and it is connected to a live 220-240V inout.  If these conditions are not met, only the POWER LED #1 will light on the LED panel.
3.1 Immediately the output circuit is activated, the orange DESULFATE LED #3 comes on very briefly while the OptiMate checks whether the battery can be charged effectively by the normal multi-stage programme.  If it can the yellow CHARGE LED #4 will almost immediately replace the DESULFATE LED, and the CURRENT LED #10 (0.8A) should come on.
3.2 If the battery is extremely flat (deep-discharged or sulphated), the DESULFATE LED will continue to indicate for up to 2 hours while a special high voltage is applied to force a very small fixed current into the battery in a recovery attempt.  This recovery mode has two stages. In the first stage the voltage is limited to about 16V for 5 seconds while the curcuit assesses whether this level is likely to be adequate to recover the battery.  If this assessment is positive the recovery mode program continues with voltage limited at 16V for up to 2 hours maximum, or until the moment when the automatic circuit judges that the battery can accept the normal charging programme.  During 3.2 the charge current LED #8 (0.2A) may indicate after some time when the battery starts to accept some current.
3.3 In the case of very badly neglected batteries that have not received any charge for many months, the second more powerful TURBO stage of the recovery mode will engage about 5 seconds after the circuit has been initialised.  The voltage limit is reset at 22V, but the current is limited to a very low and safe value.  To indicate the activation of the TURBO RECOVERY mode the DESULFATE LED #3 flashes.  As and when the the battery can accept the the very low set current, the charge voltage automatically reduces.  At this moment or in any case after the maximum time limit of 2 hours has elapsed, the CHARGE mode ( Para 4 ) will engage.
NOTEA battery left deep-discharged for an extended period may develop permanent damage in one or more cells. Such batteries may heat up excessively during charging.  Stop charging any battery immediately if it is uncomfortably hot to touch.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:20:56 pm by Coconut »

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:55:58 am »
Thanks

Yes it is the first time I have tried the optimate but also the first time I have tried my new lead connected to the battery directly.  I will check it all out but also try the power connector by the left knee with an adapter that I also have.

I did only leave it on for a short time so perhaps I did not leave it long enough although I have never seen that light on on any of the other bikes.  The battery should be full power but I will put a meter on it now.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »
Just been out playing with it and found that it was fine through the hela plug so changed the lead to the battery and all was fine.  I did try a meter on the plug and it showed 12.8 but after changing it for a new one it showed 13.2 so there must be a connection issue with the old one.

John

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:14:54 am »
Good to hear you got it sorted John, and glad to be of help  :028:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:31:55 pm by Coconut »

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:27 pm »
Yes thanks Coconut  I actually had looked for a manual but strangely did not find it just sales brochures so your link and extract were great.  I should have thanked you for coming up with the reason.  (dirty pins in the connector).  I charged the bike with no problems at all.  I only wanted to try as I usually leave bikes on chargers all the time.  (well the cars also)  Also I have installed the 'optimate' connector so I can power my tank bag with bluetooth and bike to bike radio.  This would not have worked welll with the corroded pins.

Thanks

John

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:05 pm »
My Trophy SE came with an Optimate connection lead already attached to the battery. It is the small, white 2 pole connector and has a rubber cap that covers it to make things waterproof. It just tucks under the right hand top cover when not connected.

I got home after picking the bike up and just plugged it straight in. Didn't every bike come with this?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 08:21:04 am »
Mine didn't come with one fitted!  I have no problem with mine since I poiut a better one on.  And yes mine has the rubber cover.  I have attached it to the front of the tank so I can use it to power the tank bag.  I bought a car multi way USB and cigarette socket that I will put the other end of the optimate on.