Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Final drive oil quantity  (Read 6464 times)

• Offline Jeffb   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    257
    • Topic Author

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Columbus OH
    Final drive oil quantity
    on: Oct 16, 2016, 10.55 pm
    Oct 16, 2016, 10.55 pm
    I did a quick search of this, but didn't find anything that quite applied, so...  My new to me '13 has about 3000 miles, but as it is new to me, I like to go through and check everything.  I changed the oil, and it looked like I probably didn't need to do that.  I opened the fill port for the final drive before I drained it for two reasons.  One, I can check the current quantity.  Two, I can make sure I can open it BEFORE I drain it.  (I haven't gotten this old and not picked up a couple of things along the way. :156:)  So, checking the quantity:  There should be oil right to the base of the fill port.  There wasn't.  In fact, I couldn't even reach the oil.  A little bit of a lump in my throat now.  I pull the drain plug, and a small quantity comes out.  I seal it up and get ready to replenish.  The manual calls for .17 liter.  Being quite challenged with the metric system, I find a converter online and find out that's about 5 & 3/4 oz.  I put that amount in the fill port, and it's not full.  I add another 3 & 1/2 oz till it just starts to dribble out the fill port, for a total of 9 & 1/2 oz.!  Converting back, that's .28 liters.  Did I overfill it???  There's no way you can overfill it, because the manual says the procedure to check it is it should be visible at the bottom of the fill port.  So, is the manual wrong on the quantity?  I measured the oil I drained, and it was about 5 oz, so I figure the mechanic put in what the manual called for and didn't bother to sight check if it was full or not.  Anybody else find this?  Sorry in advance if this is an old topic, but I couldn't find anything on it.

• Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    490

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Re: Final drive oil quantity
    Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2016, 12.57 am
    Oct 17, 2016, 12.57 am
    I changed mine at 600 miles and also at every oil change. I fill mine to the bottom of the fill port and at 44,000 miles no issues yet.  When I change the oil it comes out looking almost new so a change may not have been necessary, but it makes me sleep better.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2016, 04.28 am
    Oct 17, 2016, 04.28 am
    Being an old 'gearhead' type I have a hard time believing I will not change the final drive oil once in a while after my 500 mile service. 
    I would say you did not overfill.  Unless you found a way to do it with the fill/check plug installed already...
    Year round rider here!

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2016, 08.37 am
    Oct 17, 2016, 08.37 am
    Some how mine had been overfilled, I heard a hiss and oil spilled out of the filler hole.

• Offline OhioWinger   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    394

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Southern Ohio
    Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2016, 10.19 am
    Oct 17, 2016, 10.19 am
    Jeff,

I had the same issue as you, the .17L was not enough, I added enough to bring the oil level up to the bottom of the fill hole.

• Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline fred_jb

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2015
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2016, 10.34 am
    Oct 17, 2016, 10.34 am
    I don't see any reason why you would want the housing to be full of oil as the movement going on in there is going to make sure all the surfaces are getting oil on them.  I would be concerned about overfilling in case the churning and warming up when in operation could then cause enough pressure to blow a seal. 

Fred
    "We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    759

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2016, 01.20 pm
    Oct 17, 2016, 01.20 pm
    *Originally Posted by fred_jb [+]
    I don't see any reason why you would want the housing to be full of oil as the movement going on in there is going to make sure all the surfaces are getting oil on them.  I would be concerned about overfilling in case the churning and warming up when in operation could then cause enough pressure to blow a seal. 

Fred

When my final drive started leaking in MI on a trip from PA to CA I bought a 75/90 sealer and called the dealer to ask the required amount of fluid in the rear end.   They said 198 ccs which equals roughly 7 ozs  (6.7 oz) which is nowhere near the filler hole like we are used to doing with a rear end.    I'm guessing, but probably because of built up pressure as stated above

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2016, 05.25 pm
    Oct 17, 2016, 05.25 pm
    *Originally Posted by fred_jb [+]
    I would be concerned about overfilling in case the churning and warming up when in operation could then cause enough pressure to blow a seal. 

Fred

Yeah, I suspect that's what happened on mine, after an hours ride enough pressure built up to force a small amount of oil past a seal. Since replacing the oil with the correct amount I've not seen an leakage etc,... touch wood.  :002:

tweedy-bunch