Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Headlight beam default height  (Read 2798 times)

• Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro  ‐    132
    • Topic Author

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Cincinnati
    Headlight beam default height
    on: Oct 30, 2016, 11.56 pm
    Oct 30, 2016, 11.56 pm
    I recently retrieved my trophy from the dealer after a little T-bone incident with a 91 year old whom "never saw me" coming. The dealer basically replaced most of my front end. While driving home this evening, i realized that my headlight was only giving me about 10 feet of coverage out in front of me. I pulled over and had to adjust the headlight beam to its maximum height through the bike adjustment settings. It still seems very low to me when adjusted to its highest setting. Does anyone have a method i can use to calibrate/adjust  the height of this beam to be at its "stock" height?....I would like the ability to adjust  it a little down or up (vs. all the way up and still feeling like its low). My guess is that the dealer is just going to look at me like i've got 4 eyes on my head if i try to explain the problem to them. I was hoping to get some feedback i can pass along since i tend to get better info off this forum than the dealer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Greygoose

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Re: Headlight beam default height
    Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2016, 01.04 am
    Oct 31, 2016, 01.04 am
    From the internet...
    So how are you supposed to aim the beam? A lot of riders simply adjust until the light startles oncoming drivers--and then back off a half turn. Believe it or not, there are official recommendations. Find a flat patch of ground with a white or light-colored wall at one end. (You may have one of these right there at home--it's called a driveway.) Place the bike 25 feet from the wall or garage door (4). Measure from the center of the headlight to the ground with the bike level (5). Now go over to the garage door and mark one line at the same height above ground, and another two inches lower (6). Use a carpenter's level to draw a horizontal reference line (7).
    Switch on the headlights and mount the motorcycle. The low beam's upper cutoff point should rest right on the lower line (8). Because most bikes have combined high- and low-beam reflectors, setting the height (and checking to see that the beam is centered along the bike's long axis) is about all there is to it. But if you have separate high beams, make the center of the high beam land on the upper line. That's it.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Gordon

• Trophy Member  ‐    44

Offline Gordon

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wheaton, IL
    Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2016, 03.34 am
    Oct 31, 2016, 03.34 am
    I have always felt the highest position was too low on low beam. Perhaps your incident made it worse.

I think you are asking if it can be manually adjusted any higher, and I would guess no.

Glad you are okay.
    First bike 1969 Honda CL 450 Scrambler

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2016, 06.17 am
    Oct 31, 2016, 06.17 am
    Greygoose,

Just a thought but double check the headlamp bulbs are located correctly in their housings.

If you look at the bulbs from the front through the clear plastic you can see them -
    check that the bodies of the bulbs are protruding evenly all the way around the aperture,
    It's quite a fiddly job fitting the headlamp bulbs, and it is very easy to insert the bulbs
    with them incorrectly seated which could just be the cause of your problem.

The only adjustment of the headlamps in the vertical plane is via the menu
    operating the electric motors, although there is a manual horizontal adjustment.

After such a rebuild I'm surprised your Dealer didn't check the headlamp alignment
    before eturning your Trophy - if the bulbs are seated correctly I'd go back to them.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2021, 06.26 pm by Coconut

• Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro  ‐    132
    • Topic Author

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Cincinnati
    Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2016, 01.00 pm
    Oct 31, 2016, 01.00 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Greygoose,

After such a rebuild I'm surprised your Dealer didn't check the headlamp alignment
    before returning your Trophy - if the bulbs are seated correctly I'd go back to them.

Cheers  :821:

Didnt surprise me much about the dealer. We've got a mess down here in Cincinnati when it comes to dealer servicing.  Triumph of Cincinnati makes claims to having multiple full time technicians , but the reality is that the on site techs are part time, and the one full time tech is located at the co-owned HD dealer down the street (who splits his time between the 2 brands).  When the one "part time" on site tech gets backed up, bikes get shipped off to the HD dealer and get put at the end of the one recently certified triumph mechanic (whos already swamped with harley repairs). You can imagine what kind of mess this causes.   My bike was in the shop 8 weeks after initial drop off and now is heading back for another "??" amount of time.

I'll check those bulbs and do the other height test recommended to get some initial data to pass along to harleys service manager when the bike gets returned this week.

thanks

Goose

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2016, 01.43 pm
    Oct 31, 2016, 01.43 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

before eturning your Trophy - if the bulbs are seated correctly I'd go back to them.

It doesn't surprise me, after seeing first hand the pressures etc that main dealers put onto the staff, no wonder things like this get easily missed/over looked.

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04.47 pm
    Oct 31, 2016, 04.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    It doesn't surprise me, after seeing first hand the pressures etc that main dealers put onto the staff, no wonder things like this get easily missed/over looked.

When you have the turnover they have it has to be bad management.  I have one last thing to finish with them after 6 months.  They won't see me again.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2016, 05.22 pm
    Oct 31, 2016, 05.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
    When you have the turnover they have it has to be bad management.  I have one last thing to finish with them after 6 months.  They won't see me again.

From what I've seen at the car dealers that I were involved with, it's more down to greed and hitting fictional targets rather than bad management as such.

Not much difference to most other businesses who are solely in it for the profits to be honest, that's just how it would seem nowadays.

I'm just thankful that I don't have to rely on such places to service/repair my vehicles, I've always looked after them myself.