Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: oil filter  (Read 6953 times)

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se
  • City / Town: N.E florida
oil filter
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
just got a spare oil filter,and i know i seen this filter before.so digging trough my parts box for a honda filter [st 1300] they look identical down to metal stamping inside [.9.]which i think is the thread size also the shrink wrap has the same text on it.   it might be something to look into

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: oil filter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by swede 2 [+]
just got a spare oil filter,and i know i seen this filter before.so digging trough my parts box for a honda filter [st 1300] they look identical down to metal stamping inside [.9.]which i think is the thread size also the shrink wrap has the same text on it.   it might be something to look into

Just be careful whilst under warranty  :087: Using the incorrect filter or oil could give them a get out clause and void a warranty repair. And a very expensive bill for the owner  :005: :005: May be a saving to start with but could turn very sour for the sake of a few extra £'s $'s whatever the currency.

Its your money and ya takes your chances  :087: :087:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se
  • City / Town: N.E florida
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
i might started a bad thing here but i was thinking for a emergency use.there are a lot more honda dealers out there 

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
There are at least a dozen filters that fit my new Bonnies, none that would void a warrantee.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
They are the same filter.  Go to a dealer who deals in both Triumph and Honda and compare.  In a pinch I've used them on my 955ST.  I swear I felt the ST shudder when I tightened the filter.  I apologized profusely to it. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »
BUT, you really have to be careful with filters. They can look the same, thread the same, gasket the same, but are they, bypass, or flowthru, do they have or have not a check valve, pressure relief valve. You can use an alternate brand and not void warranty, as long as the specifications are the same. OR, unless the filter, spec being the same, FAILED!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:54:29 AM »
That's very true.  And I didn't mention in my earlier post but it was a Triumph dealer who brought it to my attention and showed me the are manufactured by the same company!
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »
It seems like the Trophy uses the same filter as the ST1300/ST1100.  I have used non-oem filters the last 120,000kms or so with no issues, using Ryco/Valvoline and Purolator.  Bike has 196,000kms on it and runs great.

It will be quite handy to be able to use the same oil and filter on the Trophy eventually, but in the warranty period I will just take it to the local dealer for whatever needs to be done - first time I will ever have had a bike serviced at a dealer in all these years.  After that I plan to do the valves etc etc myself, with some visits for software updates. 

tweedy-bunch