Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: No fuel filter on trophy SE's?  (Read 5678 times)

• Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro  ‐    132
    • Topic Author

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Cincinnati
    No fuel filter on trophy SE's?
    on: Nov 03, 2016, 07.30 pm
    Nov 03, 2016, 07.30 pm
    i recently had the 10 k service done on my trophy. Manual says to replace the fuel filter. Dealer is telling me there isnt a fuel filter on the bike to replace. it has some sort of other system in place that does not require a filter.

Can someone "enlighten" me as to what the heck is going on....

thanks

Greygoose

• Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Oakville
    Re: No fuel filter on trophy SE's?
    Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2016, 08.03 pm
    Nov 03, 2016, 08.03 pm
    The fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump inside the tank.  In USA and Canada there is a foam prefilter.  That is removed and reinstalled without replacement but the filter is an inline canister style very much like a car that has an inline filter before a carburetor.  The tank must be removed from the bike.  Emptied then the entire fuel pump, pickup, and filter assembly removed.  Filter replaced and then reinstall the entire assembly back in the tank.  If it is the same volume capacity as most cars the filter will last a very long time in north america as our fuel tends to be very clean and the plastic tank wont rust.

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    949

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2016, 10.27 pm
    Nov 03, 2016, 10.27 pm
    Certainly IS a fuel filter.  Detailed in the maintenance manual, clear as a bell, but a HUGE PITA to change.  I doubt if he replaced the air cleaner either as the fuel tank must be removed to do that as well.  Changing the fuel filter is small stuff compared to getting the tank off with requires pulling all the tupperware first.  Actually that's not that bad once you've done it.

Attaching a pic of the pump and filter in all it's hard to access glory....
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro  ‐    132
    • Topic Author

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 trophy se
    • City / Town: Cincinnati
    Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2016, 11.37 pm
    Nov 03, 2016, 11.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by janfmiller [+]
    Certainly IS a fuel filter.  Detailed in the maintenance manual, clear as a bell, but a HUGE PITA to change.  I doubt if he replaced the air cleaner either as the fuel tank must be removed to do that as well.  Changing the fuel filter is small stuff compared to getting the tank off with requires pulling all the tupperware first.  Actually that's not that bad once you've done it.

Attaching a pic of the pump and filter in all it's hard to access glory....

The fairing components of the bike were completely removed after i had a little collision with a 91 y/o lady who never saw me coming. Bike had 9000 miles on it , but i figured i'd have them do the 10k service and bypass the labor charges associated with getting all that plastic off.  they did (or said they did) replace the air cleaner. Given the responses , i'm surprised that triumph recommends replacement every 10K. Next question is: do i take it back and have them disassemble the thing to replace it....or wait till the 20K servicing?

Goose
    Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016, 11.39 pm by Greygoose

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    949

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2016, 11.54 pm
    Nov 03, 2016, 11.54 pm
    I guess I'd ask the dealer, as there is warranty involved and if you elect to skip it and something goes wrong, it might cause problems.  They certainly should not charge you any more.

My 1st 10K was done at a dealership who announced when I picked up the bike that they could not replace the air cleaner as they had none in stock, they blamed Triumph for not providing adequate inventory.

It was changed at 20K and the tech said it looked brand new.

I do my own work.  No way would I pull all that plastic and the gas tank off just to replace the air cleaner.  20K is a reasonable change interval, especially given the effort to get to it.  Cleaning the throttle body plates is also specified at 10K though.  I'm positive no harm will come of skipping those 2 things.  But admittedly taking my chances IF something major should pop.  "Well, you didn't replace your air filter and that obviously caused your final drive to fail!!"  - something like that.. (:>
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2016, 06.11 am
    Nov 04, 2016, 06.11 am
    Manual says to replace the fuel filter.
    Dealer is telling me there isn't a fuel filter.....

Can someone "enlighten" me as to what the heck is going on....

Your Dealer is incompetent !  .... and I wonder what else they have got wrong  :005:

As below there IS a Fuel Filter, however it does NOT need to be changed
    at the 10,000 mile service, so that in itself is not an issue.

There is an error in the Maintenance Schedule printed in the Owners Handbook
    which states the Fuel Filter should be changed at 10,000 miles,
    but this is WRONG - it doesn't get changed until the 20,000 miles Service,
    and then every further 20,000 mile Service.

Details of this and other errors in the various Trophy publications
    can be found here : Owners, Audio, and Service Handbooks + Service Manual errata

( An updated Owners Handbook has been produced by Triumph, but they still haven't
    seen fit to make it available on their web site for owners to download  :110: )

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 01, 2021, 10.44 am by Coconut

• Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro  ‐    121

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2016, 08.19 am
    Nov 04, 2016, 08.19 am
    *Originally Posted by oakville [+]
    The fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump inside the tank.  In USA and Canada there is a foam prefilter.  That is removed and reinstalled without replacement but the filter is an inline canister style very much like a car that has an inline filter before a carburetor.  The tank must be removed from the bike.  Emptied then the entire fuel pump, pickup, and filter assembly removed.  Filter replaced and then reinstall the entire assembly back in the tank.  If it is the same volume capacity as most cars the filter will last a very long time in north america as our fuel tends to be very clean and the plastic tank wont rust.
    What is this foam prefilter?
    Current Bikes
    2013 Triumph Trophy SE
    2013 Burgman 650
    2005 BMW K1200LT
    2004 BMW R1150RT

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2016, 09.01 am
    Nov 04, 2016, 09.01 am
    *Originally Posted by azccj [+]
    What is this foam prefilter?

Sounds like a piece of reusable foam that would catch any larger pieces of debris before the fuel moved onto to the finer filter, that's my guess.

In general fuel filters don't seem to need replacing like they use to, probably down to the fuel companies making it cleaner in the first place and plastic tanks etc. I've changed a few fuel filters over the years, at the recommended mileage, cut some open even just to see what the element looks like, more often than not, no visible dirt could be seen. Some bikes I've owned had a see through plastic type filter, you could clearly see any dirt collecting in that just by removing the seat or side panel,....if only all bikes run with that design.