Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Funk  (Read 6421 times)

• Offline bigcountry   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
    • City / Town: Gretna, LA
    Funk
    on: Nov 23, 2016, 01.50 pm
    Nov 23, 2016, 01.50 pm
    Has anyone fell into a riding "funk"?   A combination of the hot weather, work hours (trips), and the need to ride two hours in order to get to some nice country roads has resulted in a bad riding attitude.   Meaning, I don't really care about riding anymore.  I went on a motorcycle ride/camping trip to the NC mountains and got my battery recharged for a while.  Now I'm back to the same "funk" feeling.   It pisses me off.  I love my TTSE.  Probably sounds silly to most.   I want my "can't wait to ride" feeling back. 

Oh, BTW, I even tried keeping all my suits at work so I could ride back and forth.  It worked for a while then became too much.   

Any suggestions?
    Big Country

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Re: Funk
    Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2016, 02.36 pm
    Nov 23, 2016, 02.36 pm
    I get the same feeling every now and then, I live in a Chicago suburb and it takes at least 2-3 hours to get to any interesting roads.  Sometimes I wonder if it is old age and just not wanting to put on all the gear to go to the store.  However, once I get out on those interesting roads, the smile comes across my face, the shield on my helmet goes up, and all is good with the world again.

A couple of months ago I road the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and spent a day wondering the Smokey Mountains.  I want to go back, like the drug addict wants another fix.

All that is to say, you are not the only one who gets into a funk.  A good cigar and a glass of bourbon can help.  It gives you an opportunity to reflect on those great rides that the cagers will never experience.
     :821:
    ZShyster

• Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member  ‐    88

Offline swannie007

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE abs
    • City / Town: Ripon
    Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11.31 pm
    Nov 23, 2016, 11.31 pm
    Perhaps finding a riding "buddy" might help elevate you out of the funk. I used to feel this way most of the time when I lived in Australia because the condition of the roads is terrible and there are a LOT of roadworks going on and your bike gets covered in asphalt during nearly every ride and you spend hours cleaning the thing. And not to mention the Gestapo cops over there, real assholes if you ride a bike. I could go on and on but I won't. I had to put up with it for nine years but I am now back in California and the riding is great. My point is, you could be living in Australia and have to put up with a lot of crap to ride a bike but you don't, so just think about how lucky you are to be here in the good ole USA. My saving grace over there was a great riding buddy(lived two and a half hours ride away from me!) and the fact that I love riding motorcycles. Hope that helps a little. Cheers.

• Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro  ‐    150

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Cambridge IL
    Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2016, 01.36 am
    Nov 24, 2016, 01.36 am
    My riding "Funk" has to do with the wife.  When I do have the opportunity to go riding, the wife asks why I think I should go for a ride when she can't/won't.  She wants to know where, why, how long I'll be gone, when I'll return, which direction I'm going' etc.  She refuses to ride with me, even when I had the Goldwing, the ultimate 2-up touring machine.  The reason I got the TTSE is that I ride solo.  Now she comments that she would ride if I had a Goldwing; 28 years of having the Goldwing, and she rode with me once for about 30 miles.  Now that is FUNK! Maybe I should have traded wives and not bikes.
    2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
    1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

• Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro  ‐    195

Offline Donk

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: WI & FL
    Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02.36 am
    Nov 24, 2016, 02.36 am
    My riding is split between WI and FL.  Wisconsin has some of the best riding there is, Florida is flat and straight with lots of bugs and I get into a funk every time I ride in Florida.  I just keep telling myself any riding is better than not riding.

• Offline Monterey

• Trophy Member  ‐    12

Offline Monterey

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Capitola, California
    Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03.19 am
    Nov 24, 2016, 03.19 am
    I found my "Joy" when I rode south without a deadline or schedule.   Just ran free and found adventures..   It's the travel that is magic, not so much the bike anymore.  The TT is a good choice for running free.

I saw some Joy in an old guy who was riding a new Indian.   The classic lines brought a comment even from the non bike crowd.  I would feel the same on the new T-120 I think.

• Offline Jings

• Trophy Member  ‐    80

Offline Jings

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Norfolk
    Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2016, 07.18 am
    Nov 24, 2016, 07.18 am
    Perhaps you need to try a different bike. I love my TTSE for what it is - a huge, fast mile-eater. I bought it because I needed a huge, fast mile-eater. I would never have bought it if I lived in a city and the nice roads were hours away - I would have bought a small naked funster.

The TTSE is a great bike but I can definitely see situations where it isn't a sensible choice. Perhaps hooning about on a Thruxton R might lift you out of your funk?

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2016, 10.51 am
    Nov 24, 2016, 10.51 am
    Some years ago I use to be a motorcycle instructor, I only ever worked over the weekends really, it were only a part time thing but I did it for around 10 years. Throughout that time I saw a lot of other instructors come and go, many of them actually went full time, thinking that riding a bike/teaching others were their ideal job,.....they soon realised that they didn't want to ride their bike in their spare time/days off, riding for a living killed off the hobby/enjoyment aspect of it basically.

I think that we can all lose interest in a hobby etc over time, it's kind of inevitable I guess but if the hobby is really 'in your blood' don't worry, the feeling will return. :002: 

tweedy-bunch